Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 513 514 [515] 516 517 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699472 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7710 on: February 08, 2014, 02:48:19 pm »

Roll to Technobabble.

You get a +1 for every English word the GM has to look up.

If they can't find a definition, it's an automatic success overshoot.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7711 on: February 08, 2014, 03:52:08 pm »

Only if the word actually exists, that is, or can be derived from other words.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7712 on: February 08, 2014, 04:28:49 pm »

Roll to Technobabble.

You get a +1 for every English word the GM has to look up.

We had/have a roll to Technobabble. What we need is a roll to ghetto, where you get a +1 for every slang term that the GM has to look up.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7713 on: February 08, 2014, 06:20:36 pm »

I'm tempted to write an open-ended VOTOMS esque engine, where players are able to build and customize ATs and their parts. I'll probably include Mission and Arena rules, Mission plays out and players are rewarded with cash and scrap to buy new parts and upgrade existing ones, Arena mode will award parts/weapons with an amount of upgrades based on what is killed.

For the most part, mecha themselves can't be easily customized. Aside from some models which allow for multiple part configurations, a mecha can be identified under a single name- rarely is a model created that uses different arms or legs than it came with.

Different builds have different stats:
Armor: Basically, your HP.
Resistance: This is broken up into three numbers, and determine resistance against attack types.
Flexibility: This affects dodging and most offensive actions. An inflexible mech is not as good at attacking as a flexible one.
Control: This is the same as Resistance, except they boost the attack type.
Movement: This is used for moving across a map or for initiative.
Weight Tolerance: This is the total amount of weight that can be added to the AT.

An example:
Zenith:
Armor: 32 (midrange is 36)
Resistance: 6Bal/6Exp/6Enr (6 is average)
Flexibility: 8 (6 is average)
Control: 6Bal/6Exp/6Enr (6 is average)
Movement: 8 (6 is average)
Weight Tolerance: 8 (6 is average)
A good balanced build with a little less armor than average but high levels of versatility and more speed. It can also carry heavier weapons.

---

Weapons have an Accuracy, a Damage, and a Weight (as well as a Type.)
A very basic machinegun for example:
70/6/2, Bal
This means it hits 70% of the time, does 6 damage on average (some weapons have variance in damage), has 2 weight, and does Ballistic damage.

---

Some units are indeed special- maybe they have a built-in weapon, maybe they have multiple modes, maybe they have a unique effect in combat. For instance, a unit may have insanely high resistance for a certain type of weapon, able to take any number of that type of attack and come out unscathed, at the cost of heavy reductions in other areas.

---

This is the simple idea I have so far. I might write up a barebones system and release it for anyone who wants to run a mecha game, Mission Mode might take some time to hash out.

There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7714 on: February 09, 2014, 02:04:11 am »

I was attempting to figure out a way to get around the homogenizing effect of skills (And avoid studying for exams), and I made something that is somewhere between interesting and horrifying. I've never liked how Skills like blade/blunt/ranged/Marksman/Dodge tend to homogenize characters. A good example of this is in the basic heavy melee builds. Generally speaking there will be high endurance, high strength, and whichever melee skill (or skills) the game happens to have, maxed out. There would be very little difference, skill wise, between a bandit king and Paladin lord. Sure, one of them hasn't bathed in a month and the other is literally on his high horse about it, but there is functionally little difference. A small arms skill of 60 is the same for a colonist hunter as it is for an imperial trooper. A tribal doctor may have the exact same medical score as a Capital city trained surgeon. One of them cites the will of the gods and immense herb lore as their justification, the other cites formal university training, but, except stylistically, it makes little difference. Both of them have the exact same skills in the exact same areas for optimal medical efficiency.
   So, throughout the day, I worked on replacing a point skill system (I.E: One where the efficacy of a skill is determined by numerical ranking) with one involving perk buys. Each perk buy would enhance certain skills, but it would also only enhance them in certain situations. Intrinsic to the perk buy system is a system of trees and hierarchies that allows for costs to increase the more specialized you want to get. General knowledge in nearly every field can be had with very little investment, but the bonuses are small, and afford less in the way of strengths and more in the way of diminished weaknesses.
   The most important point of a perk buy system, for me, is that it is easily integrated into a program designed to track that kind of thing for you. This greatly increases the efficiency of such a system, as it prevents the GM from paging back to the screen that tells what all perks the players have, and paging forward to the screen that tells him/her what those perks actually do. 

The result of my experiment is a 13 page long word document, composed of an incredible 540 different skills spread across four categories. I may work on this further (filling in the details of what each skill does and such), but I figured I'd drop it off here so you all can have a look at it.

(Forgive my unclear writing. My brain is fried and I need to sleep. I may clarify tomorrow.)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 02:06:23 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7715 on: February 09, 2014, 05:08:12 am »

Seems interesting, though hell to manage without automation.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7716 on: February 09, 2014, 01:26:05 pm »

I'm currently working on a three-point skill system, that breaks down Combat, Mechanical, and Social skills.

The game idea to test the system is a space-opera-ish game. I might take a semiserious, but short plot, or have everyone be workers at the Intergalactic House of Pancakes.

Combat skills relate to how good someone is at using, doing damage with, and dodging the two types of weapons: ranged and melee.
Mechanical skills relate to how good someone is at operating and fixing components of the ship and machinery.
Social skills relate to how good someone is at not accidentally insulting diplomats and convincing people to do things.

Furthermore, everyone is allowed to purchase goods before setting out- every character gets 10 or so credits for a loadout, and basic uniform + basic survival items are free.

So, if I wanted a sharpshooter mechanic, I might purchase a toolbox and a laser pistol, and put points in Combat and Mechanical. As a result, I won't have a lot of spare for melee nor ability to talk to people. I wouldn't really need a knife or anything, as I can't easily use it.

---

Each area has six stats.
Combat has Aim, Reaction, and Control + Finesse, Dexterity, and Training.
Mechanical has Software, Hacking, Hardware, Sabotage, Machinery, and Construction.
Social has Lie Detection, Liar, Persuader, Willpower, Negotiator, and Strategist.

Aim, Reaction, and Control are skills for ranged weapons. Aim is accuracy, Reaction is dodging, and Control aids damage.
Finesse, Dexterity, and Training are the same for melee- Finesse is accuracy, Dexterity to dodge, and Training aids damage.
Software and Hacking are fixing or breaking software items.
Hardware and Sabotage are fixing or breaking hardware items.
Machinery is used in fixing or using non-computerized devices.
Construction is used in general station repairs.
Lie Detection and Liar represent ability to lie and detect a liar.
Persuader and Willpower represent ability to persuade and intimidate and ability to resist persuasion.
Negotiator and Strategist represent ability to negotiate and logically debate and how good you are at out-negotiating others.

Let's say I want to go ahead and build that sharpshooter mechanic- let's say a sharpshooter that's geared for away-missions.

I'll put most of my points in firearms skills and Hacking/Sabotage, as well as a little in Persuader and Liar.
I'll purchase a laser pistol and personal shield, for most of my points, and a PDA with the remainder.

Now, I'll be good with being sent to sabotage or attack enemy ships, so long as they don't actually come at me with a knife.

Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7717 on: February 09, 2014, 02:22:27 pm »

Seems interesting, though hell to manage without automation.

Precisely. Hellish to do once, but, with a decent system (and a thorough debugging) it should only every have to be done once. After the success of integrating passive psionic abilities into D22's combat assist program (which made them a LOT easier to work with), I started to wonder why I couldn't just do this for every kind of roll and render the majority of my datatables obsolete except as backups. It's an interesting experiment. I'll probably put a version of into the testing thread when I've got the majority of it coded. Of course, that may take a month or two on my current schedule.
   I really need to learn how to code an actual game.
---

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7718 on: February 09, 2014, 03:30:40 pm »

I'm not sure how to handle the actual stats, though. I'm thinking a dice pool would be nice, where 3 is average and an average difficulty action requires a 8~9 or higher. This means the untrained/inapt will always fail and the untrained/apt (2) can possibly pass. Trained (average 3) pass a fair amount of the time, skilled (4) pass most of the time, exceptional (5) pass almost always, and it's a bad day when a Master (6) fails.

Another method is to have a sliding scale- 1 isa -2 penalty, 2 is a -1, 3 is neutral, 4 is +1, 5 is +2, and 6 is +3 (never fails.)
With that system, getting 6 is much more difficult than even before and will possibly require modifications beyond intense training.

I could use d100 percentages, but I don't really know how to flesh that out to where someone with 20 can't come close to someone with 80 but there's reasonable room for players to face battles that can go either way.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7719 on: February 10, 2014, 12:50:27 am »

GM's Note: If you run into a problem figuring resource costs for long distance travel over variable terrain, and your eureka moment is "Oh, well I can just express the terrain difficulty as a polynomial expression and integrate that to determine expenditures!" your system is too complex.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 01:22:35 am by Draignean »
---

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7720 on: February 10, 2014, 02:04:44 am »

I have just realised that due to my system, a certain player will ALWAYS get at least a 4, possibly up to a 9 (on a d6!) when attacking with a sword if I do not give penalties due to materials. That player just cut through a steel door with a zanbato. AND HE IS MEANT TO BE A NORMAL PERSON. FUCK ME.

EDIT: At least everyone else seems to be fairly normal. Except the guy who automatically get's a +5 to all 'fisticuffs'. He also gets a chance (a 6 on a d6) for reduced damage whenever he's hit. What have I done?

EDIT2: This is the game where they're meant to be able to get ADAM, Will, Mjolnir Armour and other such goodies to boost their abilities. THEY HAVEN'T GOTTEN THESE THINGS YET AND THEY'RE ALREADY LIKE THIS.

EDIT3: Funnily enough the guy who gets +5 punches also gets -4 on all Int rolls.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 02:12:40 am by Gamerlord »

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7721 on: February 10, 2014, 02:15:19 am »

Damn, now I'm throughly underpowered compared to everyone else.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7722 on: February 10, 2014, 02:15:53 am »

I'm thinking of nerfing them BIG TIME.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7723 on: February 10, 2014, 02:17:10 am »

You have to give them some benefits from the fact they won't be very likely to recruit anyone.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7724 on: February 10, 2014, 02:19:29 am »

I know, I know. Damnit, balancing is hard.
Pages: 1 ... 513 514 [515] 516 517 ... 661