Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702342 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

Oh gods, that could only end ba-- well. Yes. Well.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because I'm a shitty GM and I don't like disappointing people when I drop a game like three turns in. :P
I find this utterly false, CvRTD was perhaps one of the greatest things ever made, its places you somewhere around 5th place on my list of best GMs ever.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

If you're the kind of guy who comes up with an RTD one night and regrets it the next day, like I am, I came up with a solution. Once you finish the OP, leave it a day. If it still seems good, post it. If you think it needs improvement, don't. Late night is great for coming up with ideas but terrible for seeing if they're any good.

I do this, except instead of one day I leave it more like one week, and if I'm not still burning to do it I drop it let it percolate in the back of my head until the next Temptation.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

If you're the kind of guy who comes up with an RTD one night and regrets it the next day, like I am, I came up with a solution. Once you finish the OP, leave it a day. If it still seems good, post it. If you think it needs improvement, don't. Late night is great for coming up with ideas but terrible for seeing if they're any good.

I do this, except instead of one day I leave it more like one week, and if I'm not still burning to do it I drop it let it percolate in the back of my head until the next Temptation.
I don't do this on purpose, but my dev cycle is so long I tend to run out of steam before I've got a working game. I've got at least one idea currently in dormant position that's gone through somewhere between two and three cycles of this, depending on how you want to count it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

I'd also like to register myself as an incomplete GM. My biggest problem probably is coming up with any sort of mechanics I can live with, followed by having an update schedule I can live with. Then there's also spending too much time doing research for pointless details (though I'm not dissatisfied with the result of a medieval bounty hunter randomly speaking authentic Huttese for about a single post before I got tired of trying to translate it).

And also usually I spend way too much time mulling over the exact wording of posts, but that's not limited strictly to games.

Preedit: ninja'd while mulling.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

Because I'm a shitty GM and I don't like disappointing people when I drop a game like three turns in. :P
And I thought I was the only one I know who hasn't been running RTDs for a while (though for different reasons). Welcome to the Club of Suck, which is five inches from the Club of Mediocre. We have... not much, actually.

Nah, it's not that. I have stuff I might like to try running. I just hate rolling and coming up with a plot and such - you know, the things you have to do as a GM. :P
What do you like about running RTDs? Or, failing that, what do you dislike the least?

And have you ever tried coming up with the entire metaplot before running a game? Might help.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

My biggest problem probably is coming up with any sort of mechanics I can live with,

followed by having an update schedule I can live with.

Then there's also spending too much time doing research for pointless details.

And also usually I spend way too much time mulling over the exact wording of posts, but that's not limited strictly to games.
Samezies.

I like to go with "whenever I get around to it." Not that I don't go as fast as possible.

Was a problem while I was starting out, but now I just stick to stuff where I can avoid that kind of thing, like sci-fi.

Big problem for me. Sometimes I just force myself to hit that post button.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

I find this utterly false, CvRTD was perhaps one of the greatest things ever made, its places you somewhere around 5th place on my list of best GMs ever.

I will respectfully disagree on all points but not attempt to sway your opinion.

-snip-

Eh, one of the main problems is that I find coming up with ideas for things is more fun than actually doing the things. :P No getting around that.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

Eh, one of the main problems is that I find coming up with ideas for things is more fun than actually doing the things. :P No getting around that.
Try running an RTD with a highly adaptable/mutable plot where the more twists that can be added the more interesting the RTD?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

Sign me up, as the creator of many a week-long project i believe I can become part of a useless blob fairly easily
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

Hey. Hey guys. Guys. What if we started a RTD where the GM just hands off control of the story to another GM when they get bored? We can call it Endless RT--

...Oh. Uh. Heh. Actually I've got somewhere to be, so I'll just.

* Gatleos jumps out the window
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

*Sticks head out window*

Get back here you prick and finish your Stooooorrrrrrryyyyyyyyy
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

Well games can be inherited if the original GM is okay with it. I can dig that concept though.

What about a game with multiple GMs who took turns making turns? "Your turn to make the turn." "Can someone PM the GM?" "I guess we'll just have to auto that GM."

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

I remember trying that once, though it was a suggestion game, not an RTD. It failed because everyone who was interested volunteered for the GM list, and we thus had no players :-\

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

Well don't pick them from viewers. Recruit 3 top GMs who are really different from one another, and let them rotate and interpret the story and the player's actions however they like. Suggestion game seems like the best format but it could work with player games.
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 661