Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 645 646 [647] 648 649 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702382 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #9690 on: January 29, 2017, 08:07:07 pm »

I like the way you think. Hit it.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #9691 on: January 30, 2017, 10:05:56 am »

With this glorious generator revival going on, I wonder if I shouldn't revive Guns, Cash and Glory too. It appears I couldn't keep it going while in the army, and six months later when I got out... forgot I'd been planning to get back to it? Thought it was too late to go back? In any case, I wonder if there'd be interest if it was restored from this, uh, extended hiatus.

Not entirely sure I have the time, mind. I'll see about contacting the old players if I come to a 'yes' decision.

Start a new one, it'll work just as well and you'll not have to drag the old players from their dusty tombs. That's the benefit of first-come-first-served, the people you get are the kind who A) can be bothered to put up a sheet, B) can be bothered to put up a post promptly and C) tend to be around at times that are compatible with your schedule.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9692 on: January 30, 2017, 10:59:56 am »

Making turn in the testing thread, given OceanSoul just revived it.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #9693 on: January 31, 2017, 11:26:38 am »

Hellhound, have you considered other types of equipment, weapons, etc.? I can think of a few:

-Skill of some sort, some passive boost or activated ability, based on a small table of potential groups (physical offensive, long-ranged support, etc. It would come in a pill or something, so that the buyer wouldn't have to be the one using it.

-New body. Pretty self explanatory. Maybe, for an added cost, it could function as an extra life, moving the user's conciousness into it when they die.

-Mercenary, of other form of ally. Might come from generator, or a few would be purchasable from the Galactic Black Market or whatever you called it.

-Side Quest, an alternate objective on the next/current mission, gaining extra tokens or a relevant piece of equipment, maybe even a vehicle, if successful.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9694 on: January 31, 2017, 12:00:09 pm »

Hellhound, have you considered other types of equipment, weapons, etc.? I can think of a few:

-Skill of some sort, some passive boost or activated ability, based on a small table of potential groups (physical offensive, long-ranged support, etc. It would come in a pill or something, so that the buyer wouldn't have to be the one using it.

-New body. Pretty self explanatory. Maybe, for an added cost, it could function as an extra life, moving the user's conciousness into it when they die.

-Mercenary, of other form of ally. Might come from generator, or a few would be purchasable from the Galactic Black Market or whatever you called it.

-Side Quest, an alternate objective on the next/current mission, gaining extra tokens or a relevant piece of equipment, maybe even a vehicle, if successful.

For a GCG reboot? Those were all already in, largely. No straight-up 'skill generator' option, but consumables and equipment could give bonuses and abilities. I can see it being a separate generator too though. Hm.

I had some vague planning for extra bodies - there were clone tanks on the ship - purchaseable or earnable somehow. These would have to be very expensive, though.

I had plans for being able to buy support/mercenaries. Randomizing them only seems a logical next step. I rather like this idea, in fact. Plus more randomization of (important) enemies!

Side/bonus objectives sounds like a good idea, but I'm not so sure I'd generate them. You could already earn extra Tokens for any noteworthy rampages and accomplishments you did on the mission.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9695 on: January 31, 2017, 12:02:00 pm »

I like the idea of purchasing mutated redshirts. And then it's only fair the enemy should have some as well.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9696 on: January 31, 2017, 12:09:25 pm »

I like the idea of purchasing mutated redshirts. And then it's only fair the enemy should have some as well.
Note to self: when I get home, add Red and Shirt to the generator. Then, with Radioactive, we really CAN purchase mutated redshirts!
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9697 on: January 31, 2017, 12:30:29 pm »

Technically what you're buying would be normally a standard-issue red shirt, but the machine also guarantees that it will jam something vaguely suitable into it.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9698 on: January 31, 2017, 01:22:37 pm »

Words like Servant and Genetic could mutate it, as well as any of the animal words. Thinking about it a red-T-shirt-cannon could be rather effective in space. Sure, it's the people WEARing it that get one-shot, but trapping then under a pile of it should have the same affect. Besides, imagine just launching red shirts into space, waiting for some assumptive space captain to come across them.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9699 on: January 31, 2017, 11:30:33 pm »

I had some vague planning for extra bodies - there were clone tanks on the ship - purchaseable or earnable somehow. These would have to be very expensive, though.
Pfft, everything's free when you know the AI's access codes!

You could already earn extra Tokens for any noteworthy rampages and accomplishments you did on the mission.
How much did I posthumously earn for crashing the mission site into the objective in an epic duel with the enemy captain? That I lost, but that's not important. It was a moral victory.

Besides, imagine just launching red shirts into space, waiting for some assumptive space captain to come across them.
"The Redshirt Tree, also known as the Mook Bush, is a prolific spacedwelling flora known for its curious reproductive cycle. To spread its seeds, it produces thousands upon thousands of fruits in the shape, consistency, and capability of low-quality sapient life forms, complete with their own hopes and dreams. These pods are fired at substantial fractions of C in all directions, in the hopes that they will be scooped up and conscripted into the navies of spacefaring races. From there, they are quickly husked by natural causes, such as plasma fire, bulkhead explosions, alien mind control parasites, carnivorous fauna bearing paralytic venom located on a hostile world with nothing of value save the ghosts of an empire long passed, or pneumonia. From these brutalized shells sprout Redshirt saplings, which benefit from a long adolescent growing period on a planetary body before ultimately floating to space to continue the cycle."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9700 on: February 01, 2017, 12:08:38 am »

Nice, Irony. I had originally meant for the cannon to fire actual red shirts, not the people who wear them. This might be better, though.
This just gave me an idea. The central personnel of a spaceship, The Enervation, gained their strength/smarts/importance by draining the rookie recruits of their metaphysical significance. Bound to the captains, the Redshirts would always be the ones to die when Fate designated their captain to die. Only the captains knew this, and seemingly nothing could change this. That is, until a warp speed accident causes them to encounter a metaphysical entity that punishes them by returning the Crew's significance and letting Fate finally kill the captains. However, the ship is now left in unidentified space with no particularly capable crew members to save them. Thankfully, the accident has left huge amounts of Signifigance in the fabric of space, which lets the crew develop and grow at astonishing rates!
Players would be the Redshirts, and while they would start off with no actual skills, they would have Preferences that make it easier to learn certain types of skills. Preferences could be for things like Biology, Arms, Navigation, or even Loving, Seriousness, and the Obvious! These Preferences and their gained skills then lead to Roles that one would find in Space Drama and other media, such as the Incompetent Assistant, Attractive Scientist, and even the Overprotective Father or Risk-Taking Youth, each with their own benefits! Would the crew be able to become The Next Next Generation? Do they even still want to? Either way, can they change their fate and survive the cold, lonely void of space?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:43:47 am by OceanSoul »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9701 on: February 01, 2017, 06:49:42 am »

Pfft, everything's free when you know the AI's access codes!

You could already earn extra Tokens for any noteworthy rampages and accomplishments you did on the mission.
How much did I posthumously earn for crashing the mission site into the objective in an epic duel with the enemy captain? That I lost, but that's not important. It was a moral victory.

All the Tokens. All of them. The Justice Corps would've made you employee of the month and funded a series of propaganda films about your glorious exploits. The whole galaxy would've known your face. Space Hitler would've gnashed his teeth and plotted for your doom.

Or like 3 Tokens and a stay at a cheap space resort, at the least.

HB's probably right as usual about the difficulty of straight-up continuing the old game with its old players, but I'd probably still give old players a chance to start play with their characters and some of their gear - a choice of one or two pieces, maybe. Or then throw all the old stuff into a vault where stuff can be retrieved somehow.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

Should I revive one of my old RTDs or start a new one?
I was kind of thinking of running one where the players are cultists competing to bring their (probably exceedingly silly) demon master the tastiest sacrifices, most powerful artefacts and nicest-smelling soaps. But there are a few RTDs I regret abandoning so soon... pretty sure I still have the mostly-written next turn of Roll To Cruise lying around somewhere, y'know.       
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd say go halfway: Take an old, dead RTD of yours, change it up a little, and start that. Then again, EP's Roll to Level Up III didn't get far at all..

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The first thing you discover upon reviving an old RTD is usually why you dropped it.
Pages: 1 ... 645 646 [647] 648 649 ... 661