Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: dwarven menstruation, others  (Read 5265 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Re: dwarven menstruation, others
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2011, 01:45:09 pm »

WTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTF!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

WHY!?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2011, 01:45:29 pm »

Now, what was the point of that post again?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2011, 02:28:14 pm »

At least I found the IQ posts informative ::)
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2011, 02:30:22 pm »

Yeah, it surely helps your modding and life activities :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2011, 02:59:28 pm »

I'm still confused about how we got from menstruation to IQ. It wasn't even a derail, it's just like 'this topic is now about IQ and we'll write as though it always has been'.

Yeah, it surely helps your modding and life activities :P.

Stop derailing this thread with talk about how it was derailed!  :P

Anyway, if the thread isn't going terribly far because of one reason or another, it's not like it's terribly important it "stay absolutely on topic".  A little side discussion that doesn't cause anyone to lose the ability to talk about the main topic isn't worth getting bent out of shape over.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2011, 03:10:19 pm »

On that original topic, I still think it's unnecessary.  We don't even have baths or bathrooms where our Dwarfesses with monthy visitors could even freshen up.

Plus, Dwarves in general don't even change clothes.  You can see where I'm going with that line of thought, yes?
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2011, 03:11:41 pm »

1So how about I post a picture that displays what menstruation is like in real life? That should sproute up some derailing.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2011, 03:26:45 pm »

On that original topic, I still think it's unnecessary.  We don't even have baths or bathrooms where our Dwarfesses with monthy visitors could even freshen up.

Plus, Dwarves in general don't even change clothes.  You can see where I'm going with that line of thought, yes?
We have wells which are dwarven baths :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2011, 03:34:55 pm »

We actually even have "Dwarven Baths" designed to clean those who enter the fort to preserve it from contaminants and blood.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2011, 03:37:23 pm »

Huh okay yeah.  But the idea of such "intimate" cleaning at a public place is very strange to me.  Then again, Dwarves won't change clothes, and will run around naked as a matter of course.

IronVanguard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2011, 04:01:59 pm »

There is no "Intelligence" attribute in DF. In a manner of speaking, you could call all the "soul" attributes in DF intelligence.  Linguistic ability, memory, musicality, spatial sense, analytical ability, these are all things that classically are associated with intelligence, and are all separately tracked in DF.

Nice to know in even the smallest thing, DF is more complex and real then anything else.

As for public baths, plenty of those old civilizations did it. A bath could be an interesting addition. Although, wouldn't there need to be some way to clean it? I seem to recall things that wash off tend to end up in the water.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2011, 04:05:26 pm »

They also have no problem with dropping babies on the floor and then scooping them up and carrying on as normal. I don't think dwarves can even conceptualise privacy and all the stuff it brings.

In DF, dip water needs to be cleaned (or not, if you have spatter spread turned off), but well water is drawn out of the well before being used and the area around the well then needs cleaning.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2011, 07:46:04 pm »

There is no "Intelligence" attribute in DF. In a manner of speaking, you could call all the "soul" attributes in DF intelligence.  Linguistic ability, memory, musicality, spatial sense, analytical ability, these are all things that classically are associated with intelligence, and are all separately tracked in DF.
Toady One obviously goes by another established school of intelligence testing, the guys who measure separate abilities directly. They indulge in way less "wacky maths" than the mainstream IQ guys, but a single number is easier to "sell" as a system, so these clearly superior ways of looking at the issue don't much "air-time", though they get plenty of dedicated research.

That DF list actually looks a lot a hell of a lot like some of the variants i read about (the number of factors they try and measure varies widely). In theory we could make a computer program which runs the actually real-world tests for these things, asks some standard personality questions and then "codes" your personalty and abilities into a dwarf.

BTW : My first post mentioned pregnancy, and my second alluded to it, and pregancy is indirectly related to the thread topic

SERIOUSLY BACK ON TOPIC

And it's a shame there's no way to have some sort of recurrent creature bleeding reaction at all?

Ok here's my ludicrous scheme/possible workarounds:

- Custom "time of the month" workshop and reaction. Link to unused labour, e.g alchemy in vanilla DF.
- you'd have to manually assign the labour, maybe an external util could poll the game at intervals to auto-assign the labour to appropriate non-pregnant female adults.
- Build one of the workshops in each female's bedroom, and limit it to just that female.
- Dwarf Foreman used to assign the "time of the month"s to workshops twice per season (assume dwarves have longer cycles because they live about twice as long as human)
- the workshop reaction releases a mist with a short-lived bleeding syndrome. Possible personality altering reaction to? Cloth reagent could be added for ... realism

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:11:11 pm by Reelyanoob »

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2011, 06:08:50 pm »

In theory we could make a computer program which runs the actually real-world tests for these things, asks some standard personality questions and then "codes" your personalty and abilities into a dwarf.

Whoa, that would be pretty awesome, sounds like a very nice project :D

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2011, 06:51:25 pm »

In theory we could make a computer program which runs the actually real-world tests for these things, asks some standard personality questions and then "codes" your personalty and abilities into a dwarf.

Whoa, that would be pretty awesome, sounds like a very nice project :D

Sounds like a required program for people who ask "Dwarf me" in a succession game.   More like "Dwarf me, here's a link to my personality file"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4