Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1289442 times)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #2535 on: May 10, 2014, 10:03:20 pm »

Only source of rations for the first MGS-extreme was stealth killing guards. None would be just lying around. It sounds like the same is true for MGS2. Or maybe MGS2 extreme is more hardcore and you don't get rations even from stealthkills. That would be amusing.

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: May 11, 2014, 01:28:16 am »

"Okay, maybe I should try using some SHIVs a bit mo-TERROR MISISON-

"Oh, great."

>Three turns later
>3 floaters, one of which has 12 HP (instead of 4, like normal x-com)

"Oh, great"
>ALIEN ACTIVITY
>4 chryssalids move up to my guys, one of which has 15 HP

"Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck"

>Still won, no deaths. The SHIV I brought along murdered half the map. SHIV MVP.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: May 11, 2014, 02:46:45 am »

I just started to take on an new job in Jupiter, which needed me to to go SCIENCE(!) base and start dealing with them...
Old guy: I need you to go into an unstable train tunnel, fight mutants beyond our understanding and deal with the the most horrible effects known to science to MAYBE find a sample of ungodly power, and we may or not pay you if its what we think it is.
OK...
Easy enough, I fought worst things before so I might as well take the job to get the money to pay for Exo-Skeleton suit and if they try to fuck me over I can easily kill them (They also dealing with the mercenary, which I been messing with there dealing in the pass so I was think they may try to set up an trap).

Also I had to take a group of mercenary with me to pick up the sample, which flick up an few warning lights but I might as well take on cannon folder to use as shields when we enter the place just INCASE, so I let them enter the place first (Turn out that the place had 3 zombie with low-tech weapon barely hitting any of the meat shields) and I enter after all the mutants are dead, looting them of some round for my Spaz-12, which I was planning to use for the rest of this place.
So I enter deeper into this place (The meat shields stopped, Wanting to 'Guard the entrance' which barely had anyone to protect in the first place beside John, Other John and The John) and found it just having flying orbs of elements with brain radiation or some other crap the meat shields was scared of and I was able to get into the middle of this place where the sample was (Just some thing turning around because of SCIENCE!).

This is when I found an new sort of mutant which one of the meat shields called 'Controller' before falling to the ground and crying, so I decide to run to the side of the tracks which the zombie used before as an 'sitting' point and found that the 'Controller' could not take me as I was beside the pillars, as I move up on it.
As soon as I was close enough to shoot it with my Spaz-12, I starting to run out yelling "BONZIE", shooting like an mad man and surprising the thing as it was turning around...

Then after that, I had good ground with the Mercenary(Saving their guys from an controller seem to mean a lot to them), The scientists pay a ton of money (mostly making sure that the team was COMPLETELY alive and I was able to pay for the exo-suit) and I just felt like the biggest bad-ass in Russia

« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 02:50:43 am by Evilsx »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: May 12, 2014, 02:00:24 am »

With two revolvers in hand, I stood across from two separate teams of enemies.  I slowly advanced, alternating shots and trying to focus on the enemies that realized I was there.  By the time I had emptied both guns I was withing spitting distance, but I didn't spit.  Instead I threw my right hand gun, killing one of them before I myself was gunned down, having taken seven enemies with me.

"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: May 12, 2014, 02:10:46 am »

2642 kills. Goddamn but my finger hurts, in a good way.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: May 12, 2014, 12:10:07 pm »

Had a duel win streak of six, and I only just started playing this yesterday. It was incredibly close for a few moments, especially against a judgment with a penchant for charge attacks, but I managed to come out on top every time until the server switched maps.

We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: May 12, 2014, 12:30:43 pm »

Figured out how to make hydrogen gas and ethane from only ethane and 3 reactors.

Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: May 12, 2014, 01:12:46 pm »

I seem to be getting better at this, specifically better at judging whether or not something is actually in torpedo range.

We were sent to patrol the celebes sea. Which we did, sinking 3 freighters in the process. Then we got our second mission, go into a Japanese port, photograph the ships, and leave. On the way into port however, we were accosted (very rudely I might add) by an Akatsuki-class destroyer. So I torpedoed it and sunk it. Then photographed the ships and launched my last two torpedoes at them just because I could.

When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: May 12, 2014, 02:25:46 pm »

3v3 battle with two unteamed opponents in between. Had Saladin and The Wolf covering my flanks, so I built a piddly castle while putting with their constant begging for stuff they really didn't need. Since you can't do anything while paused, I simplified troop production to just archers, pikemen, and swordsmen, plus engineers.

Before long I had a decent army. Sent them to the unaligned guy  in the bottom-right, another Wolf. With the help of the Wolf on my side, quickly made a breach in the walls and marched my guys in for the kill. Next was The Snake on the other team. For some reason, he left an opening in his walls that had buildings in it, so fire ballistas. However there was a moat so I had smash the walls again, and march swords and pikes in for a kill. Third kill was the Sultan on the other team. He went down even easier.

After this I started gearing up for the last guy on there team, another Wolf, but with a massive and well-designed castle that I couldn't help but admire. First though, was the other teamless guy. I moved about a dozen guys in armor literally who walked right into the castle and stabbed Caliph in the face.

Assaulting the Wolf's castle was not easy. My first attempt was against the towers on the left, hoping to knock out two mangonel towers and a bunch of crossbowmen. That failed after heavy losses. I regrouped and repositioned to the right where the gatehouse was. The first and second attempts to clear the crossbowmen failed, costing me my archers. An attempt with a siege tower failed as well. Brought in a battering ram and a bunch of catapults and I finally broke in. Facing stiff resistance on the ground, the pikemen and swordsmen fought their way to the Wolf. In the end, the Wolf could not hold them all off.

I managed to dodge the Harrier's unguided rockets by hanging off various ledges. The fight was a challenge in that I only had to get hit once to be killed, but I made it.

GUNIN, would you happen to know why I have not found a single ration on this playthrough yet? I'm relying on the health I get from beating bosses to stay alive.
Only source of rations for the first MGS-extreme was stealth killing guards. None would be just lying around. It sounds like the same is true for MGS2. Or maybe MGS2 extreme is more hardcore and you don't get rations even from stealthkills. That would be amusing.
RE: Dodging the rockets: Which ones? One come from a distance(you'll see a flash of light the moment the Stinger can lock on again, easier difficulties it's bullets) or when he's strafing with rockets. The former I just dive down the stairs right before they hit, and the latter I just walk up and down the stairs. I love those stairs.

RE: Rations: Possibly only from hold-ups. I they only rations I ever saw where the ones from the gunfight before cargo holds(Tanker) and two Snake gives you during the Tengu battle.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: May 12, 2014, 04:12:09 pm »

I just kind of... walked to the Aquinas control room and activated everything then went back to Helios. Really I only used a couple of multitools, medkits, and BE cells for cloaking. It was almost comical how simple it was.

Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: May 12, 2014, 10:33:31 pm »

Hannibal decided to attack me by surprise.  A little unexpected but maybe I just don't know my history very well.  That dosn''t seem like a very nice guy name.
I hadn't done much to antagonize him anyway, I hadn't even been spying on him (as far as I can figure anyway, this game's spy system makes little sense to me.)

It ends up probably being one of the shortest wars ever.  4 Galleons off my country's west shore.  Unfortunately for him I've been using my own galleons to ferry spies every which way and kill barbarian raider ships.  Not only was 90% of my Navy within 3 tiles of his fleet waiting for the next shipment of spies to pick up, they were all relatively high level ships, utterly destroying hannibal's fleet with only one loss within 2 turns of the war starting.

Only one enemy galleon made it to my shores, which dropped off a rifleman and a couple trebs, which were quickly digpiled by my small horde of longbowmen and archers who have been camping my core cities since the start of the game.  My knights and musketmen only arrived in time to clean up the last remaining treb.

The whole affair dropped hannibal solidly down to last in the little rankings list from somewhere near the top.  And I got some kind of event that I can only guess was him begging for peace before I had even healed up all my units.

Pretty impressive considering this is my first time playing a Civ game.

Civ 4
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: May 13, 2014, 06:18:39 am »

The ones I were talking about were the ones he launches from a distance. I tried the stairs trick as well as my hanging trick for the strafing ones, but neither worked out so I just dodged them like a hippo dodges raindrops. That worked out.

EDIT: Fukken typos.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 09:15:25 am by IronTomato »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2547 on: May 13, 2014, 11:53:30 am »

GUNIN, would you happen to know why I have not found a single ration on this playthrough yet? I'm relying on the health I get from beating bosses to stay alive.
Sleeping guards will drop them if you shake them about 100+ times. Not worth it. I've never known held up or dead guards to drop rations on any difficulty, but I generally don't waste my time with that. Just don't get hurt. If you fuck up and take a lot of damage you should be letting yourself get killed and CONTINUEing. Abuse that system to quickly get through difficult struts like D and the first floor of F.

Extreme should have drops and some on the levels, European Extreme has no rations at all however, except from Snake during the Tengu fight. There's also a tiny room that spawns rations in the second stage of that fight. There may or may not be one at the beginning of the fights with Fortune and the Ray gears.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: May 13, 2014, 12:00:54 pm »

Sleeping guards will drop them if you shake them about 100+ times. Not worth it. I've never known held up or dead guards to drop rations on any difficulty, but I generally don't waste my time with that. Just don't get hurt. If you fuck up and take a lot of damage you should be letting yourself get killed and CONTINUEing. Abuse that system to quickly get through difficult struts like D and the first floor of F.
Those struts are long gone, I'm at the fight with Solidus now. :P
That said, my ownage is that I only got killed by the button mashing about 5 times.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2549 on: May 13, 2014, 01:09:25 pm »

Yah, but I figured I might as well cover all my bases.

And no other frustration? Solidus is easy compared to the Tengu fight imho. Also surprised you had nothing to say about Ray. Most people have a really hard time with them.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 709