Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1292774 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #7650 on: June 13, 2017, 06:04:41 pm »

Am I the only one who thinks its kind of funny that MGS V has anti-tank rifles?  Like I know the time period is almost right, but one of the armor vehicles in that game is a soviet main battle tank.  You might as well be throwing rocks...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7651 on: June 13, 2017, 06:49:47 pm »

I never really figured out doing FOBs. I get the idea on how to do the actual sneak-in-and-wreck-someone, since there's two required missions for that. But do I just pick somebody's base and off I go to ruin someone's day? How safe is my stuff, can someone just murder/kidnap off all my staff and resources and leave me with an empty Mother Base?
Sniper rifles? As in just regular ones and not the "BOOMANTI-TANKROUNDSTOTHEFACE" sniper rifles?
I'd assume normal sniper rifles, as I'm pretty sure you can't get a suppressor for an anti-tank rifle.

You can get a supressor for one of the anti-tank rifles, that's what I use for FOB missions 'cause everyone went for the super heavy armoured guys way back when I was doing it.

The FOB missions are basically whatever resources are on whatever rig type they attack (so combat, R&D, base management etc.) and they can steal only whatever resources and people are available on that platform, which I'm reasonably sure you can see if you go to the training tab in the FOB menu.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7652 on: June 14, 2017, 01:49:19 am »

Am I the only one who thinks its kind of funny that MGS V has anti-tank rifles?  Like I know the time period is almost right, but one of the armor vehicles in that game is a soviet main battle tank.  You might as well be throwing rocks...

Isn't it kinda the same now though?  Last I heard an anti-materiel rifle requires a 3 men to carry and properly spot for the thing, and even then it can't really do anything to any remotely modern armored vehicle.

It's like the Archer AM Rifle in planetside 2.   Sure it CAN damage vehicles, and one of the few infantry weapons that can that isn't a landmine or a rocket, but it's not going to actually hurt anything but a fighter jet or a buggy.  And the Planetside 2 Archer AM Rifle has the advantage of only needing one person to use effectively unlike the real deal.  Makes me wonder if any armies in the world still bother to field the things with how circumstances have to be absolutely perfect AND the perfect shot is needed to disable anything. 

It just seems useless to have 3 highly trained and specialized guys out there with an oversized and expensive sniper rifle that can kill an engine leaving the combatants live and well, compared to any guy who can understand a 'this side front' label with an rpg that will kill the engine and the guys behind the wheel in the same shot.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 01:58:33 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7653 on: June 14, 2017, 02:20:09 am »

...Greiger, most AM rifles ARE one man weapons.  The bulk of them are bolt-action rifles firing .50 cal or 12.7mm rounds (and apparently 20mm now), and while they are huge, they hardly need three men to operate.  AMRs are typically deployed with a sniper and a spotter, but the spotter is unnecessary to operate the weapon.  And if you think a .50 cal won't kill every person in the vehicle when it blasts clear through the engine block and everything behind it until it impacts the ground, you don't know much about ballistics.

Also, RPGs are notorious for being inaccurate as hell over even medium distances.  As in you probably shouldn't be firing them at anything more than fifty meters away.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 02:41:06 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7654 on: June 14, 2017, 03:10:02 am »

Isn't it kinda the same now though?  Last I heard an anti-materiel rifle requires a 3 men to carry and properly spot for the thing, and even then it can't really do anything to any remotely modern armored vehicle.
Close to the time period in the other direction.  Even in WW2 there were few enough tanks that could be destroyed by a rifle, past the 50s its pretty much useless.  Hence why they're "anti-material rifles" now instead of antitank rifles.

The thing about modern tank armor is that its really, really fucking tough.  Even most bombs, artillery shells and rockets don't do much because they explode outward in all directions.  Anti-tank rockets and missiles are shaped to fire the entire blast forward into the impact point.  That's what it takes to get through a main battle tank's armor.  That's why we don't have light and medium tanks any more, because anything smaller than a main battle tank literally cannot mount a large enough cannon to penetrate enemy armor from the front.  So yeah, if 50mm would do literally nothing, you better not have brought .50 caliber...

Edit: Actually reading your post it sounds like you knew all that anyway :P  Wikipedia claims they're used to shoot radar dishes and parked aircraft.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 03:25:06 am by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7655 on: June 14, 2017, 03:17:22 am »

It's like the Archer AM Rifle in planetside 2.   Sure it CAN damage vehicles, and one of the few infantry weapons that can that isn't a landmine or a rocket, but it's not going to actually hurt anything but a fighter jet or a buggy.

The Archer is specifically meant to fight MAXes - its description explicitly states this. It also does pretty crappy damage to Harassers because those things are stupidly durable.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7656 on: June 14, 2017, 03:24:06 am »

That's why we don't have light and medium tanks any more, because anything smaller than a main battle tank literally cannot mount a large enough cannon to penetrate enemy armor from the front.  So yeah, if 50mm would do literally nothing, you better not have brought .50 caliber...

Actually, funny thing, almost all main battle tanks are classed as medium tanks according to modern systems, only a few even reach ninety tons fully loaded, and you've got to top one hundred to be heavy, and one-fifty to be super-heavy.  But no one builds those, as they aren't very useful in a modern war.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 03:25:37 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7657 on: June 14, 2017, 05:33:59 am »

I've found that not even trying to build a balanced party (Unova early route pokemon are trash aesthetically anyway) and just monofocusing on one pokemon actually works really well. I'm pretty much oneshotting every battle I come to with my level ... 35 or something Servine - I've just reached Desert Resort, so the highest level fight I've been up against was level 24 or so. I've consistently been at least 10 levels higher than everyone else I ran into though. I have one other pokemon in my party that I use as an HM slave. It's level 4.

Pokémon ... Black, I think?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #7658 on: June 14, 2017, 08:51:18 am »

Sniper rifles? As in just regular ones and not the "BOOMANTI-TANKROUNDSTOTHEFACE" sniper rifles?

A sort of regular one.

See, it's possible to change sniper rifle mags for assault rifle mags. This also gives the sniper rifle the assault rifle's ammo count while retaining the same amount of power.

I gave my sniper rifle a 7.62mm 30-round mag. That gave me 240 rounds in reserve.

I'm assuming you don't mean recoilless rifles (i.e. rocket or missile launchers) like the ones Miller mentions when you ask for intel about a tank.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7659 on: June 14, 2017, 09:35:54 am »

The Brennan Long Range Sniper Type 54 is probably what you're looking for. It's an upgrade for Quiet, although I don't know if it's useful besides popping guys through their helmets and one specific mission that's mentioned on the "how did you last die" thread.

Thing is better against tanks than most RPGs are, I swear.
Black lives matter.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7660 on: June 15, 2017, 06:55:49 pm »

Besieging a castle, i was waiting for a siege tower to be built when the (enemy's) cavalry came to (not my) rescue. These were khergits, see. Entirely composed of cavalry. But i brought a cavalry-heavy army too. But they outnumbered us two to one. And retreat wasnt an option.
when the game loaded, i was perched atop a hill in a wooded area. And i got an idea. This is terrible cavalry terrain, especially for the enemy. Trying to overrun my position. But i didnt need my cavalry getting shot off the tops of their horses while holding position, so i ordered them to hold position in front of our line, then dismount, then fall back to our line. The plan worked. When the khergits got there, they had been split into smaller groups by the trees and hills already, and werent at top speed. Then a large number of them ran right into our horses, which were standing between us and them. Sharpshooters and i got a few kills right there just because they came to a dead stop and got stuck. The remainder that didnt run into our horses ran into the line of infantry and cavalrymen and were overwhelmed. That broke the first wave easily, and i ordered the cavalry to remount horses and charge. From then on the fact that the swadian men at arms and knights are much tougher than the average khergit insured that we won. Not without casualties, but i had enough men to take the castle afterwards (most of them died, though, deapite khergit troops being aweful at holding castles)
I thought that was a neat trick. The ai isnt very smart anyway.

But the khergit kingdom fell a while after that; now all their lords are abandoning them. Still, cavalry battles are reasonably fun, so its gonna be somewhat boring from here on out with both them and the swadians under our thumbs.

Mount & blade warband
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7661 on: June 15, 2017, 09:10:01 pm »

Managed to make a helicopter that's actually flyable... if barely. The hardest part is that there's no way to zero out a given block's power setting using a complex controller. A normal vehicle controller you can press T and G to stop the propellers, but that won't work for a complex controller, which is need to run dedicated heliblade spinners.

In any case, I can go up, down(that's easy), turn, and go in a direction generally described as forward, as well as launch 12 unguided torpedoes* from the air.

Gets shot down easily, though. Hard to do much about that, evasive maneuvers are a little difficult, to say nothing of guided missiles(I got shot down by an AI controlled CRAM battery).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7662 on: June 15, 2017, 10:20:00 pm »

Beat the game, more or less. Didn't save Curly Brace, unfortunately. I got the Tow Rope, brought her along with me and even performed the robot draining procedure in the cabin. And then, thinking that she could just sort of swim back, I left her lying there. It took me until I'd gotten to the Last Cave to realize that she'd given me her bubble shield and thus couldn't swim back on her own. So I guess that's something to do later.

I gotta say, this wasn't that hard of a game, with a couple exceptions. The Last Cave[Hidden] is pure bullshit. It has the terrible hopping enemies, Booster 2.0 shenanigans, an annoying boss in a tight arena and a hallway of instant-death blocks from above. The final bosses weren't THAT difficult in comparison, although it still took me several tries simply because four moderately hard back-to-back fights are a pain.

Moreover, this is easily the best platformer I've ever played. The biggest reason is simply that annoying jumping puzzles become a non-issue once you get the Machine Gun and can just swoosh around on your murder-jetpack mowing down everybody. That said, the power-loss-on-hit mechanic is incredibly annoying, although at least the Nemesis makes it irrelevant for the hardest parts of the game.

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #7663 on: June 15, 2017, 10:36:27 pm »

Installed a few mods for MGSV (like that ever ends well). One was titled "Infinite Heaven", and it came with a very difficult-to-use menu that relied on the log text to show the player what settings were active. I wound up adding settings for Skull Soldier attacks in Free Roam.

Another mod was Morbidslinky's side-op pack for Infinite Heaven.

I was doing a side-op that involved rescuing filmmakers who'd been apprehended by the Soviets, and before I was able to extract the second filmmaker, a familiar mist descended upon the Mountain Relay Base. Then, the Riot Suit soldier I was preparing to CQC turned into a Puppet Soldier. As I CQCed him anyway a laser sight was trained on my character, and seconds later she was limping behind cover with an injury to be treated.

It took several painstaking minutes - long enough for late-night to turn into mid-morning.

The female soldier (I forget her name) took several sniper rounds, and I heard the telltale sound of the near-death hum more than once...

But she was S-rank in combat for a reason.

XOF, I see your parasite-enhanced, scantily-clad snipers and raise you one ordinary (if talented), modestly clothed Diamond Dog lady of war.

I win.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7664 on: June 16, 2017, 01:42:01 am »

In my game I fought the skull sniper squad by calling in an IFV.  Fuck precision.  Also Quiet because my sniper is better than yours.
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 709