Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 679 680 [681] 682 683 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1292898 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #10200 on: February 01, 2022, 12:45:13 pm »

Remnant from the Ashes, managed to win my first adventure (on Earth) in hard mode by taking out the world boss that was generated as the treant.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The mid boss that generated in that adventure was Riphide, i still can't believe i survived that one with a few pixel of health left, he was already a pain in normal mode. But i don't think i got so much stress in a videogame battle as i had with fighting Riphide on hard mode.

Difference with normal mode is that enemies have 50/60% more health and deal 50/60% more damage and you get 15% more XP (it's not worth for XP grinding for traits points as you spend more time to kill them than in normal mode) , the main interest of Hard mode, out of the extra challenge is that you gain "glowing fragment" (they don't exist in normal mode) by beating bosses (mid and world bosses).
(there are more higher difficulty levels "Nightmare" and "Apocalypse" with enemies getting even more health and enough damage to one shot your best armor, i guess it's for people that are into masochism :D )

without dlc those glowing fragments are used to buy alternate skins for a few armors (for most other armor or using those fragment to craft a couple new items you need to buy dlc) , not really anything worthy of the achievements of playing on higher difficulties.

There's a hardcode mode when creating a new character if you want, you have only 1 life but in exchange you get exclusive items from beating the world bosses, hardcore items that are shared with all the characters you have (even if your hardcore character dies).
Mentionned previously that when you interact with the merchant's dog that can be found in Rhom, you gain a weapon mod that allow you to summon this amazing dog, this weapon mod is also shared with all your characters, even the ones you'll create after. A must have mod for early game survivability in higher difficulties.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10201 on: February 02, 2022, 07:38:25 am »

My overpoweredness went in a slightly different direction-- whereas you're oneshotting everything, my void archer is using a ranger bow to fire homing glue arrows with no fletching and splinter tips... the end result is that every shot covers the screen in arrows that stunlock, and I fire like a machine gun. Sure, I may not be doing damage individually, but there's a lot of them.

Oh, and since I'm rocking that berserker helmet too, I basically have a constant damage buff and so much overheal that I'm rocking about 600k/630.

I also highly recommend against the explosive tips. I took those and... holy, lag city.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10202 on: February 09, 2022, 05:59:04 am »

Thought I could take the retribution of shooting down a Von Neumann probe.

Hahaha no. That I managed to survive a Berserker probably qualifies for this thread. Using auto-resolve even! Because manually fighting it didn't go so well...

I mean, the planet itself was pretty screwed up, losing its entire civilian population(imperial pop was surprisingly intact), most of the infrastructure, and the climate getting shifted by about 100 points. Nothing some fresh colony ships can't fix. Out of ships, I lost two fairly old Dreadnoughts and one(of three, but one was scanner satellite) defense platforms.

Moral of the story, destroying the probes is just not worth it.

EDIT: Holy crap. I did it. Achievement unlocked: Ritual.

That was one of the hardest goddamn boss fights I've ever won.

Now, whether or not I should have done that ritual instead of banishing him, well...

« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 06:55:27 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10203 on: February 11, 2022, 09:12:02 pm »

I got a mission to investigate a base subtly called "Destroy the Illegal Facility". Once you investigate, you learn it is indeed doing illegal weapons research and needs to be destroyed.

After the first try of this mission, I learned that we were investigating giant super-lasers that destroy us and are difficult to escape while you get hit. Hilariously, the game suggests trying to lure the enemies into the beams, but we have a 3-on-3 fight with other AI-enemies, so the NPCs don't care enough about me to be trapped, and also computers have better 3-d awareness than human players. After 3 tries, I learned one of the enemies has unlimited healing items, but mostly only uses them on his allies. After 5-7 tries, I managed to finally defeat that healing guy without accidentally flying/running in front of the giant lasers and getting damaged enough that I can't possibly win the fight. I've got a fever and a bottle of whiskey, and took out their team and base pretty easily after that.

Daemon X Machina. It's a weird anime-ish game about fighting in not-Gundams in a post-apocalyptic world. I'm glad to hear they're planning a sequel.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10204 on: February 12, 2022, 05:55:08 pm »

It's been a long time i hadn't touched Salt&Sanctuary, mostly because after being one shot by some "normal" small enemies repeatedly a few screens after having destroyed the 1st boss "Sodden Knight" wasn't really my idea of having fun.

Until i read on random place something about that ridiculous difficulty spike.
The reason of this silly one shotting is that despite it looks like it (as you get there by simply continuing to move to the right) , this is absolutely not the next area you should go, there's a NPC that appear temporarly after you clear the boss is supposed to give you a hint about that before disappearing, but i guess i may have pressed the wrong button and skipped its lines :D.

In fact to keep up with the game difficulty curve, the next area is located underground below the fortress you previously explored before reaching the 1st boss that was on its top of it. It's beyond an area that is reached by a door i could swear i had opened before and that had me running into a wall ?.

Reinstalling and giving it a try, indeed it was the way to go, no idea why i missed the whole area after the door i had previously opened (i guess the annoying blur and overall darkness did not really help my eyes)  ... and after some more killing and leveling and skilling up (and getting splashed a few time by some traps i didn't noticed :D) , i finally reached the 2nd boss appropriately named the "Queen of Smiles".

Let's just say that i got slashed to oblivion by this multi-sword maniac, then i remember how i finally got to beat the 1st boss : my shield, good shield use it instead of your weak roll and jump , you're too heavy anyways with your Paladin armor to do that, so block and block again. 

And i just annihilated Smiling Face without trouble (though it took time as i never had more than 1 hit opportunity at time between my blocks and her attacks) , probably helped because i had purchased a much better shield than the one my Paladin started with (and the skill to allow wielding this upper class shield).
Spoiler: goodnight sweet queen (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 05:57:26 pm by Robsoie »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10205 on: February 14, 2022, 04:12:48 am »

I'm in the process of moving house, so I don't have my usual loadout, and I'm resting in low-security houses along the way. Tired after a day of clearing corpses off the road, I stop in early to rest... and I wake up in the middle of the night. And my 'middle of the night' means the world around me looks like this:
Yep... pitch black nights.

No way am I going out like that. Since I don't have my normal stuff on me, and exercise is useless because my perks gave me maxed strength and fitness from the start, the only thing I can do is either sit there and wait, or commence to train my sprinting to try and get tired enough again and just sleep through until morning! So train it is. Which is evidently stupidly loud, because very quickly, I hear angry growling. And then pounding on the window. I don't even know exactly where I'm standing in the room, and I'm not even sure if my weapon is drawn. (It occurred to me after the fact that I could just manually wield it.) And then the sound of the window breaking.

I start swinging in the darkness... and hearing crunching noises, squishy noises, and splats. All in all? Six dead, and I survive to another dawn.

Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10206 on: February 14, 2022, 12:56:24 pm »

Returned to "Slay the Spire" after month of not playing because of frustration with constant failure, needed to start a new save.
Got to third act boss and defeated the first part of the Awakened One in first try with Ironclad, Defeated Donu and Deca with my first silent run
Still didn't get to the stage I was stuck in before, and started to slow down now, but still fighting
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10207 on: February 14, 2022, 04:48:46 pm »

I decided to take my squad of 24 to Fishman Isle, to grind up some combat experience fighting the fishy hordes. I had a pretty good mix of people of all races (including a skeleton!), weapon types, and skill levels, I had taken on bandits and won, I figured it was time to test my mettle against a new foe. The prospect of possibly taking on the Gurgler King for his bounty and top-tier sword just added incentive, though realistically my team probably wasn't ready for that just yet.

We made our way south of Catun, staying well clear of a Leviathan along the way (those things have thousands of HP per body part in a game where most humanoids top out at 100 or so) and ran across a squad of bandits who challenged us to battle. It went well for us overall; though one person was KO'd and a few others took injuries that slowed them down, the bandits were all defeated. We made our way over to a boulder and set up a temporary camp so the worst-wounded could rest on bedrolls while the rest stood guard. Despite the slowdown I figured we were ready for whatever might come. We were not.

A full half-dozen adult Beak Things came charging in through the twilight, running straight through the boulder that apparently was not the solid obstacle I thought, and began tearing my squad to pieces. My guys jumped to defend themselves, but these creatures have a well-deserved reputation for being the bane of early-midgame teams and several people were downed quickly. Humanoids screamed as limbs were torn away by monstrous jaws, while AoE attacks staggered my best and toughest fighters again and again. Some Beak Things fell as well, overcome by weight of numbers, but for a few gutwrenching minutes I thought I'd have to reload to an earlier save once the last warrior fell and the Beak Things began to feed.

Somehow, we prevailed. Four limping, bleeding humanoids remained standing amidst a pile of unconscious, dying bodies, and they had no time to rest if any were to be saved. The quartet immediately began patching up the most severely wounded (which did not include themselves; several of the fallen were on death's door), while the first of the others to wake up took on the task of finishing off the Beak Things before joining in the emergency triage. Others began to awake, merely knocked out by pain during the battle and not in recovery comas, and began non-vital tasks like splinting limbs or setting out more camp beds to rest on.

All told, maybe half the squad was able to regain consciousness shortly after the battle, though many had damaged limbs and a few were only barely ambulatory. Three squaddies had lost limbs entirely; two an arm each, one (my best medic) a leg. Those three had KO timers running into the thousands of seconds, and for a while I was not at all certain they'd survive given the massive amount of blood each lost. The team was in a pickle; they were stranded far from the relative safety of civilization and were physically incapable of moving to a safer location without leaving at least some people behind to the tender mercies of wild animals. Also they'd be moving at a snail's pace given how bad some of their legs were. I ordered everyone to enter stealth and had the most capable member of the squad (the skeleton, who had been repaired and was functioning nearly as good as normal) drag the Beak Thing corpses far enough away that any scavengers would hopefully be drawn away from us. And then we waited.

A couple of days passed. I rotated the ones resting on the camp beds, trying to get more people up and ready to move. Some folks woke up once they had recovered sufficiently from their injuries. A handful were still down and out. And then I noticed that we had been spotted, by a pack of more than a dozen bonehounds. They were charging straight for us, on an "Attack Others" objective, and I figured this would probably be the end. None of my guys were ready for a fight - indeed, some would only take a single wound before keeling over again. But we couldn't run away. My wearied warriors readied themselves for the last fight of their lives...when suddenly the leader of the wolfpack let out a bark and snatched up my medic's severed leg, running off with it in joy, while the rest of the pack followed hoping to play with the limb themselves. Battle was averted at the very last instant by a canine's desire to play fetch.

I decided (once I stopped laughing) that I had pushed my team's luck long enough. We might not be able to outrun a pack of hounds intent on chasing us, but we could slip away while they were off having fun. The unconscious and the lame were slung over the shoulders of those who could move quickest, bedrolls were packed, and the entire team made for the gates of Catun. We were slow despite the rest, thanks to various injuries reducing stats, but fortune continued to smile on the squad. They limped into the great city of weaponsmiths later that day, unmolested by monsters or bandits, and quickly took over every spare bed in both inns.

I didn't own by slaying hordes of fishmen, or earning a legendary sword through epic battle, or slaughtering packs of monsters. My ownage was getting every single person back from near-catastrophe, alive. Now begins the hunt for quality artificial limbs.

Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10208 on: February 14, 2022, 05:52:00 pm »

Salt & Sanctuary

Having recently discovered what would become my new favorite weapon of them all, a giant warhammer, still wondering how the hell my character can even lift it (had to mix/match my armor to be able to get the best resistances without getting over 100% weight, or the character would only be able to walk slowly), i went through a few more bosses and finally landed in "The Red Hall of Cages" .

A very creepy underground location that only purpose is torture and abject murder, but when you wield a giant warhammer of total destruction

Until reaching the boss of that zone, the Tree of Men , that is basically a massive mix of various torture racks on which there are many unfortunate poor souls hanging, and the thing just came to life out of pure evil to destroy you.
By itself, the Tree of Men isn't really hard (though avoid staying near its "legs" or the shockwaves of the thing walking will propel you out of the arena , falling to your death)
The actual difficulty during this fight is to deal with the various flamethrowers that regularly burn the platforms ,  giving you a hard time as you need to dodge the attacks while jumping to non-burning platforms while hammering the boss weak points.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10209 on: February 16, 2022, 06:05:06 am »

Returned to "Slay the Spire" after month of not playing because of frustration with constant failure, needed to start a new save.
Got to third act boss and defeated the first part of the Awakened One in first try with Ironclad, Defeated Donu and Deca with my first silent run
Still didn't get to the stage I was stuck in before, and started to slow down now, but still fighting
Didn't have a good Defect run in this game, but now I crushed the third act boss with more then half HP to spare, and it was the Fucking time eater I never thought I would be able to defeat, I think this deck could have done act 4 if i had the opportunity.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10210 on: February 16, 2022, 11:59:33 am »

Salt & Sanctuary

After having progressed very nicely since the Tree of Men and beating a few more bosses on my way , i ran into a wall in

It killed me many, many times until.

After killing me so much (and so stealing each times all the salt i had accumulated between the closest sanctuary and his arena) , i had enough salts coming back to my inventory (the boss salt rewards + all the salts he stole from my repeated death to him) that i could level 4 more times than normal :D

Very happy to have gotten rid of that oversized chicken

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10211 on: February 16, 2022, 03:32:56 pm »

@Sirus: Congrats. I've had those days in Kenshi. Good job!

ZoddTheImmortal

• Bay Watcher
  • Mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10212 on: February 16, 2022, 05:37:22 pm »

Trained by a specific Olog, til he was 10 levels above his rivals, then sent him in, and he keeping ripping heads off lol

hedgerow

• Bay Watcher
  • You're Thunderclappin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10213 on: February 16, 2022, 07:59:13 pm »

I totally got a nudie, but she was like, so hot.

Like, I once got waved to in high school and I had to look behind me, cause I didn't know.  Anyway, they laughed.  That was its own win.

Anyway this woman did like, the whole thing.

I don't even have access to those files anymore, but yeah; humble brag.

Edit: Don't do Greenlight with me.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10214 on: February 17, 2022, 01:48:32 pm »

Finally , after a dozen of more or less stupid death, i finally managed to destroy the Witch of the Lake in Salt and Sanctuary, she was rumoured to be a very hard boss and to me it indeed was.

Took me some googling to understand what type of resistance i needed (arcane and electricity), so at the level i am and the items/loot i found/transmuted i experimented around to get the best i could come without becoming overweight due to the heavy shield i used (as anything with better arcane/electricity resistance would get me above 100% weight and so make my character into a sitting duck).
This is what i came with if it can help someone

So it was time to fight, died a couple of time due to various stupid mistakes like pressing the attack button instead of shield blocking one :D
But it all ended with a

Pages: 1 ... 679 680 [681] 682 683 ... 709