Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Colony Command - Recruiting for a game team - Need many roles filled  (Read 7509 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Colony Command - Recruiting for a game team - Need many roles filled
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2011, 12:19:52 pm »

Alright, I'm looking to sort out the writing team by the end of May.  Everyone I've sent writing assignments to, I'd like them back before then so I can assess them.  I'm aiming to pick out 2-3 people total, depending on how much time each person is able to set aside for this per week.  I'm still missing a lot of submissions, so if you've gotten both the writing assignments don't worry about completing both of them - so long as I have something from you, it'll let me get an assessment of your skills.  I do have a personal preference for people completing assignment two, though - the limitations on it are those of the general mission format.

Aqizzar:  I particularly would like to see the second assignment from you, as I liked elements of your style and characterisation but want to see how you cope with the strict word limits of the format.

Edit:  I've seen that movie, yeah.  Sadly, the lessons don't apply that well to this clone of the game because we're not really simulating global thermonuclear war, but it was an interesting article.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2011, 01:21:27 pm »

I stumbled on a Missile Command commentary while wasting time.  This is very interesting, since Colony Command is a "Missile Command Clone".

Extra Credits: Narrative Mechanics (AKA: Missile Command is Brilliant)
Indeed, I've seen that before and it's very good. One of the things I found while researching for the game. Our story will be slightly more verbose though. Iituem has worked out a fantastic story for the game.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2011, 02:09:15 pm »

All of the stuff the Extra Credit team makes is well done and thoughtful, which is impressive for a weekly thing.  I've been eating up a lot of time watching their videos, lately.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2011, 03:49:17 pm »

Aqizzar:  I particularly would like to see the second assignment from you, as I liked elements of your style and characterisation but want to see how you cope with the strict word limits of the format.

Just noticed this message.  Sorry about the delay, it's been an odd week.  Plus, y'know, Terraria came out, and as an aspiring indie game studio yourselves I'm sure you can appreciate what happens there.  But yeah, I got the feeling the stringent directions were partially aimed at me.

I've been brainstorming about it, and I'll do my best to have it ready within the weekend.  After the time I devoted to the first sample, I'm really starting to understand why you guys would want to hire help for content-writing, it's a much more time intensive process than it looks like.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2011, 04:50:00 pm »

Is it too late to request the writing task? I'd quite like to do some lore. I may not be the most experienced man for the job, but damn it, I have vocabulary and metaphors.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2011, 06:05:20 pm »

But yeah, I got the feeling the stringent directions were partially aimed at me.

I've been brainstorming about it, and I'll do my best to have it ready within the weekend.  After the time I devoted to the first sample, I'm really starting to understand why you guys would want to hire help for content-writing, it's a much more time intensive process than it looks like.

Trust me, it was aimed at pretty much everyone we got a response back from.  My fault for not really specifying enough limits the first time - but it was a good way of getting people to let loose with their creativity and see what they came up with.  On the other hand, I can say from experience that there's nothing like a certain level of limitation to spur on creativity as well.

And yes - you'd be surprised how long it takes to write even a single mission.  The goal is to try and take it down to 20-30 minutes eventually, but the first one I wrote took about 2 hours (mostly because I was also developing mechanics, commenting and organising the format at the same time).

ExKirby, I'll send you the same second Writing Assignment I've sent everyone, if you wish.  It requires you to write up both mission and lore entries, but hopefully you should have a degree of fun with both.  Just try and get it back to me within the week.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2011, 04:35:59 am »

Er. Can I have that assignment, too? All this talk about challenges and limits has got me intrigued. I'm not applying, I haven't ever played this kind of game, plus there's this novel I'm writing. To see what all the fuss is about.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2011, 02:59:10 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:45:18 pm by Stany »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2011, 03:26:47 pm »

I'm probably way too late but I'd like to give the writing task a go, I can get it done within a relatively short time scale seeing as I'm a late applier. If you're over subscribed already that's fine though.

Stany, I've sent you the assignment.  You've technically got until the 28th of May (Saturday), if you want me to have enough time to go through it properly.

Supermikhail, I've sent you the assignment as well for you to take a look at.  You might be able to glean something from it, but the main aspect you'll want to think about is that the format of the game imposes certain limitations and requirements upon the narrative.  This is what this particular assignment is designed to test for.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2011, 01:28:39 pm »

A reminder to those looking to do the writing submissions; I am looking to pick out writers soon, so I would appreciate returned write-ups by Friday if at all possible.  If you don't think you can make the deadline but still have something written up, just send that and I'll take a look at it.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2011, 11:03:16 am »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:44:16 pm by Stany »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2011, 11:45:55 pm »

Yikes, that was more of a process than I thought it'd be for some reason, but mostly it was stuff getting in the way.  You have to expect some perils without a structure.  Anyway, I just hope my second entry isn't ridiculously long, given that it's only two pages shorter than my first sample, and that one had a couple pages of artistic rambling.  Well, whatever, you guys know what you want.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2011, 12:48:48 am »

Heck, now that it's Saturday, I wish I'd thrown my hat into the writing ring. Heck, send it to me now and I'll get you something by dawn(east coast US).
Signature goes here.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2011, 03:50:21 am »

Wait, yesterday? I thought you wanted it by the end of the month!

Well, I'm doing a quick spelling check, but after that, I can send it in.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2011, 04:15:25 am »

Go ExKirby, you can do it! Spell check faster! You might still make it!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8