Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169454 times)

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #135 on: May 14, 2011, 02:40:51 pm »

So, since corpses can be raised without their heads, how do you (at least temporarily) kill a zombie/skeleton? Will a complete corpse zombie still die when it loses its head? How bad off does a corpse have to be to be un-raisable? Especially when animated limbs/etc. go in, how do you kill those?

Hehe, now i have a mental image of a player cremating (once controllable fire is in) every corpse in an evil biome and the ashes rising anyways.  :o
Skellys and Zombies have hitpoints, so the head thing never mattered in the first place.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 14, 2011, 02:44:00 pm »

Regarding zombies ripping off the dog's head.  Did they claw or bite it until it came off, or is there actual dismemberment in wrestling now?

This got my attention too. Though Toady didn't said what kind of zombies were attacking the dog. It could be zombie tigers, for example.
Necromancers take their dead from tracked entity populations. That means human, and probably also dwarven, elvin, and goblin. Perhaps kobold, I dunno, the boldlings don't get much love from Toady.

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 14, 2011, 03:08:07 pm »

So, since corpses can be raised without their heads, how do you (at least temporarily) kill a zombie/skeleton? Will a complete corpse zombie still die when it loses its head? How bad off does a corpse have to be to be un-raisable? Especially when animated limbs/etc. go in, how do you kill those?

Hehe, now i have a mental image of a player cremating (once controllable fire is in) every corpse in an evil biome and the ashes rising anyways.  :o
Skellys and Zombies have hitpoints, so the head thing never mattered in the first place.
They used to, Toady is ow rewriting this, and I'm not sure if they will still do in next release. He could have said something in one of last two posts in previous FoTF thread
I don't need a signature.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2011, 04:10:42 pm »

They used to, Toady is ow rewriting this, and I'm not sure if they will still do in next release. He could have said something in one of last two posts in previous FoTF thread

Clearly, we are running low on ways to combat the rising tide of undead.

The situation is dire. Ladies and Gentlemen, Melon-pults placed behind protective Wallnut barriers may be our only remaining solution to the zombie problem:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #139 on: May 14, 2011, 06:15:06 pm »

The situation is dire. Ladies and Gentlemen, Melon-pults placed behind protective Wallnut barriers may be our only remaining solution to the zombie problem:

That may work for a short time in foggy locales, but given that we're in more of a Survival - Endless kind of situation, and your defenses are too far forward.  They'll never hold once you start getting hordes of gigantaurs.  I suggest that you create garlic funnels and use those to max out on sun power, and use gloom shrooms over the water as your main attackers.  You also need spikerocks to protect yourself from vehicles.  Also, you pretty much need a couple of cob cannons, even though they cut into your sun production severely.  Your economy will collapse eventually, but you can get past round 100 with enough skill and luck...

In short, what we really need to combat the new zombie menace are some poisonous mushrooms and pumpkins to protect them, along with garlic plants to force the zombies down the paths we choose.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2011, 06:42:42 pm »

So what kind of secrets do you want the most?

I for one want deformity secrets and some kind of domination secret.  Make an army of mutated monsters to take over the world with.  I'm also thinking it'd be cool to capture a kraken, make it huge and ugly and use my defomity powers to give it [FIREIMMUNE] and all that and stick it in my lava moat.  Hell yes.

Also heavily armored mutant ogres to guard my inner sanctum and swarms of skittering pod things that burst open when you kill them releasing corrosive poison. 
Shoes...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2011, 07:51:23 pm »

Well, Reading about raised bodz parts, I have one concern:

Combat clutter. I can easily imagine my dwarven soldiers kept busy by raised severed body parts while "main" force kills them off.
Now you can experience what the goblins feel like when a dogsplosion-in-a-cage chaffs them while your dwarves kill them off.

Sounds like a feature to me!

Quote from: Threetoe
Right now all you have to do is hit them with a shovel.

:P

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 14, 2011, 07:58:20 pm »

tagging to follow
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 14, 2011, 08:23:22 pm »

Personally, I am in far greater anticipation of the actual caravan arc stuff, and the army arc stuff after it. This fancy undeath is all well and good, but I'd rather get economic and military stuff to play with sooner, and leave magic and slightly more compelling undeath until after the current dev page is taken care of. I do understand that this is the main portion of what Toady does with his time, and he does what he enjoys, and I don't begrudge him that. But I certainly don't want him to take time out for things like this for my sake, and I'd imagine I'm not alone in my preference there.
Couldn't agree more. Night creatures, secrets and so on are fun, and even Fun, but personally I'd like to get past-worldgen world advancement, with economy and at least basic military first. Static worlds are boring, and introducing enemies alone will not fix it.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2011, 08:44:58 pm »

I'll be honest, Dwarf mode now bores me.  Adventure mode got interesting lately (and by lately, I mean ever since night creatures showed up in the first place), and it's all that keeps me interested in DF these days.  So I'm ecstatic that there are more of them.  I do look forwards to more to do besides kill though... being able to be a merchant lord will be fun. Trading games can be great.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 14, 2011, 09:24:35 pm »

I'll be honest, Dwarf mode now bores me.  Adventure mode got interesting lately (and by lately, I mean ever since night creatures showed up in the first place), and it's all that keeps me interested in DF these days.  So I'm ecstatic that there are more of them.  I do look forwards to more to do besides kill though... being able to be a merchant lord will be fun. Trading games can be great.
I agree on all accounts.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 14, 2011, 11:22:38 pm »

Daily devlogs for a straight fortnight? I don't want to jinx it, but I feel like I'm in heaven.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #147 on: May 15, 2011, 12:14:41 am »

1. What about necromancers will allow them to raise things? Will they make some sort of magic object which simply raises any dead in the area? Will they use some sort of nebulous power thats inherent to them? Will they be somehow able to raise themselves if they die, such as a Lich.
We already know all this from the devlog. They discover a secret, either directly from a death god, or indirectly through a slab engraved by a previous necromancer. If lichdom were going on, I imagine he'd have mentioned it.

Yes, we know the "secret" thing, but what will this secret involve? Will it allow them to create something to raise the dead with or will they just kind of do it. Will that vary?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 15, 2011, 02:58:48 am »

Interesting times indeed! :D
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 15, 2011, 03:37:48 am »

Quote from: Threetoe
Right now all you have to do is hit them with a shovel.

But... but... there are no shovels in the game! *panics*
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 298