Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1168089 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1140 on: June 21, 2011, 08:15:58 am »

I hope firebreath/randombreath/webs/fireballs/flows get merged to the point where they all work within a system that is understandable.  Dragonbreath being magic nuclear instadeath (unless you block it!) seems kinda crazy, and almost all the other attacks are messed up in one way or another.  It would be especially nice to make some forgotten beast silk socks for Urist to wear to the prom.
It would also be nice to have proms for urist to wear his nice silk socks to.
Make a pretty statue garden and burrow all of the children in there. One of them will eventually start a party.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: June 21, 2011, 08:36:25 am »

I hope firebreath/randombreath/webs/fireballs/flows get merged to the point where they all work within a system that is understandable.  Dragonbreath being magic nuclear instadeath (unless you block it!) seems kinda crazy, and almost all the other attacks are messed up in one way or another.  It would be especially nice to make some forgotten beast silk socks for Urist to wear to the prom.
Make a pretty statue garden and burrow all of the children in there. One of them will eventually start a party.

in confinement, and given enough time, it is dwarven nature to PARTY
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: June 21, 2011, 09:10:58 am »

I hope firebreath/randombreath/webs/fireballs/flows get merged to the point where they all work within a system that is understandable. that can be used from players in adventure mode and weaponized in fortress mode

:P

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: June 21, 2011, 09:41:47 am »

in confinement, and given enough time, it is dwarven nature to PARTY

This can be written as a proper equation.

What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: June 21, 2011, 12:37:32 pm »

Those cities look really nice, well done, Toady! Can't wait for the enw update, it's going to be so good with all the enw features!

Anyways, some observations/ideas about cities:

- I don't really like the high ceilings. I know multiple floors aren't in yet, but when they are I'd prefer high ceilings to be reserved for temples, castles, and warehouses, rather than every shop. I always viewed Z-levels as "stories" and think it would be odd to have a single story shop with three stories of ceiling space.

- In larger cities, once markets are in prehaps we could see city squares. They could be the equivilent of statue gardens, raising the happiness of the city members and being a site for parties.

- Even after bins are finished, I think the shops should store most of their wares in the attic/basement/warehouses. They could keep their best wares on display, while minimizing clutter.

I'm sure a lot of this is planned, as cities won't be finished for a while.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: June 21, 2011, 02:47:37 pm »

I think I read someone mention in another thread (hell, maybe even this one a few pages back) that the high ceilings were historically accurate (something about putting as much airspace in the house as the resident could afford to keep it cooler, I think). He could've been wrong, I suppose. I don't mind the ceilings, though.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: June 21, 2011, 02:56:17 pm »

Of course, that assumes you are in a climate where you need to think about cooling ... and the mediterranean people handled it in a very different way, by making things out of thick walls and having small windows.

Middle eastern architecture and town planning contains lots of 'passive stack' ventilation (basically chimneys), a decent subsitute for a high ceiling - and the markets are generally oriented north/south with a narrow central street to avoid direct sun in to the stalls.

I suspect (but don't know) that high ceilings were implemented generally by the wealthy merchant class when they had a bit of extra money to build more of a house, and waste materials on a large reservoir for hot air to gather whilst not sacrificing large windows (and daylight).

Not really sure about historical Scandinavian architecture, but I can't imagine that was overly concerned with keeping places cool, and more volume would just be more to heat - a waste of precious fuel for the common man (have you played unreal world?)

Bonus points to Toady if he gets the civilisations to build towns according to climate ;)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: June 21, 2011, 03:14:31 pm »

Besides cooling, a high ceiling has an advantage when all your heating and lighting comes from burning something. Smoke from the fireplace goes up the chimney, but torches and candles make smoke too.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: June 21, 2011, 03:14:31 pm »

What I noticed that all the roofs are flat.  They should be slanted to keep off rain, and steeply slanted in any climate with snowfall.  Maybe have roofs made out of ramps instead of just floors.

But, y'know, those are just details.  In all, I'm really liking these new towns.  I'm curious to look at them with a visualizer like Stonesense or Overseer. 

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: June 21, 2011, 03:23:18 pm »

What I noticed that all the roofs are flat.  They should be slanted to keep off rain, and steeply slanted in any climate with snowfall.  Maybe have roofs made out of ramps instead of just floors.

But, y'know, those are just details.  In all, I'm really liking these new towns.  I'm curious to look at them with a visualizer like Stonesense or Overseer.

I don't think of the roofs are "flat" I just think that they're closer to flat than they are to whatever angle DF's ramps are (have we decided on the dimensions for 1 tile?).

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: June 21, 2011, 03:25:01 pm »

Might as well ask Toady about it:

Are tall ceilings going to be the norm once multiple floored buildings make it in? Will it depend on the type of building (A kitchen using fires would have a high ceiling with chimneys for ventilation, the carpenter's shop might not)?

Also, will shop owners live on the floors above/below their shop, or will they have morning commute? Will they have workshops to create goods, or will the process be abstracted?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1151 on: June 21, 2011, 03:27:14 pm »

7 feet tall from floor to floor, 2.5 feet on each edge. +-1 foot for each tile.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: June 21, 2011, 03:54:53 pm »

7 feet tall from floor to floor, 2.5 feet on each edge. +-1 foot for each tile.

Tiles are definitely cubic. The geometry doesn't make sense otherwise.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #1153 on: June 21, 2011, 03:58:20 pm »

I believe toady has mentioned something around 2m^3, and asked us not to hold it to him.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: June 21, 2011, 04:20:27 pm »

They are clearly big enough for a hundred sleeping dragons.

but not more than a single standing gnome.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 298