Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169194 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2070 on: September 05, 2011, 12:49:53 am »

Will there be a way to become a leader of a civ in adventure/fort mode?

And maybe a possible 'marrage/family' system in adventure mode?

Its a goal, but I dont think we're anywhere near being able to do that.
I believe it's currently planned to be a part of the army arc, actually. So it could easily happen within the next couple years.

LeeDub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: September 05, 2011, 04:38:47 am »

Quote from: dev_single
# RELATIONSHIPS ARC: You should be able to take a spouse, make a household, and create playable heirs as an adventurer. The dwarven relationships and personalities can also be expanded upon.
Watch as a lover's spat ignites a tantrum spiral that kills hundreds...

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: September 05, 2011, 05:12:26 am »

Will there be a way to become a leader of a civ in adventure/fort mode?

And maybe a possible 'marrage/family' system in adventure mode?

Its a goal, but I dont think we're anywhere near being able to do that.
I believe it's currently planned to be a part of the army arc, actually. So it could easily happen within the next couple years.
Becoming a leader, probably. Adventurer marriage, I wouldn't count on for the army arc - though it might potentially emerge from the former by way of adding diplomatic relations, which may include marriage between certain factions.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: September 05, 2011, 04:54:03 pm »

You know, I imagine my dwarves reanimating my legendary armorcrafter and have his eyeless skull instruct newbie armorcrafter on how to make decent shields...

And if we take it to extreme, building whole galery of legendary teachers. Sometimes by arranging unfortunate accidents.

Head museums, just like from futurama. Except that our heads are undead monstrosities.

And now I am reminded of the talking rat skull elders from that really really old Dos(?) Darksun game.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: September 05, 2011, 09:51:41 pm »

You know, I imagine my dwarves reanimating my legendary armorcrafter and have his eyeless skull instruct newbie armorcrafter on how to make decent shields...
And if we take it to extreme, building whole galery of legendary teachers. Sometimes by arranging unfortunate accidents.
Head museums, just like from futurama. Except that our heads are undead monstrosities.
And now I am reminded of the talking rat skull elders from that really really old Dos(?) Darksun game.
Makes me think of the ancestor brains from Lexx.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: September 06, 2011, 01:25:53 am »

god i love that game.
also, the mimir from planescape, and the norse mythology's mimir whose decapitated head was odin's favorite advisor

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2076 on: September 06, 2011, 01:32:02 am »

Askot, I've been meaning to ask you this for a while, but wouldn't your avatar's arm get tired after a while? It just bugs me.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: September 06, 2011, 02:22:22 pm »

no, i ITISAGOODDAYTODIE'd it

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: September 06, 2011, 06:12:58 pm »

Askot, I've been meaning to ask you this for a while, but wouldn't your avatar's arm get tired after a while? It just bugs me.

I, for one, am impressed by the quantum corpse stockpile he's got going. Very efficient.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2079 on: September 07, 2011, 10:22:55 am »

Secret Slabs!

You know, I just pictured a fortress that sends out raiding parties throughout the world to collect the forbidden knowledge, destroying dark lords and bringing the slabs back to the mountains, to be sequestered in deep vaults. When the fort itself falls to siege, the last inhabitant pulls a lever, sealing every access to the fort but one- the labyrinth through which a hero may try to find the slabs should the secrets therein be needed again...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: September 07, 2011, 12:17:58 pm »

I did a search for this but could not find an answer so sorry if it has already been asked:

How urgent is the need for a vampire to feed? Will they starve to death or grow weaker if they don't feed for a long time? Or is it more like a somemthing they are just driven to do without any real benefits to themselves other than filling their bloodlust?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: September 07, 2011, 12:30:30 pm »

Right now, it seems that nothing happens since the vampires might be unable to sate their bloodthirst during play. I guess this might change with release 5 or the army arc releases.

Quote from: Heph
Will vamps have withdrawal symptoms from not getting theyr bloody fix? Stuff like raging, aging rapidly, loosing strength etc.?

It seems like something should happen, but since they won't always be able to hunt during play (mostly they won't, being off in the world some place), it's not important to do that until we get them activated.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: September 07, 2011, 03:28:33 pm »

Question for the Toad: Are there any plans/has there been anything done/any investigation into the whole clothing rot and repeated attempt to pick up clothes but never actually causing eventual FPS death for every fort? It's like a leak... a fort can quite happily sit on my PC with a cap around 120 Dwarves or so, and be at 60-70FPS if I'm lucky. But it goes down. And down. And down. I usually give up at about 30... It's a real game killer for me.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: September 07, 2011, 03:54:16 pm »

Question for the Toad: Are there any plans/has there been anything done/any investigation into the whole clothing rot and repeated attempt to pick up clothes but never actually causing eventual FPS death for every fort? It's like a leak... a fort can quite happily sit on my PC with a cap around 120 Dwarves or so, and be at 60-70FPS if I'm lucky. But it goes down. And down. And down. I usually give up at about 30... It's a real game killer for me.

If you have before/after saves demonstrating a massive peformance impact from clothing, you should upload it to http://dffd.wimbli.com and post the link on this bug report.  There's some evidence that it has a performance impact -- which is true of many, many things -- but the claim that it's the primary culprit for lag is just a rumor.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: September 07, 2011, 04:03:50 pm »

Get well soon Toady and Threetoe!

Don't worry, if I recall correctly the fever status is mostly harmless!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 298