Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169223 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2670 on: October 31, 2011, 02:17:42 pm »

It would be pretty cool to have dwarves that disappear do so from the player's perspective as well. For instance, If a dwarf had his own supply of food/ drink down where he was digging, but he himself was never seen by any of the other dwarves, and therefore by you. you only notice that he's still alive because the stockpile he's using slowly goes down in qty.  Concerned for your dwarf, you could send down the militia, who discovers him digging away, revealing him to the player.

overall, regardless of whether or not this could happen, having dwarves disappear in general is a great idea.

This idea, while interesting, could get sort of complicated. What if he has a few buddy miners down there who stay with him but the group never gets seen by other dwarves?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: October 31, 2011, 03:03:49 pm »

Ignore, it's pretty obvious what the answer is, I'm not sure why I asked it, in retrospect.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 03:11:28 pm by penguify »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: October 31, 2011, 03:32:07 pm »

As long as worldgenn'd vampires can convert my normal dwarves into vampires, I won't mind a few turning into corpses in the process :)

As for the concerns with childsnatching interacting with dwarves going "missing" referenced in the dev log, the child could go "missing" the moment it is snatched, but the player is not notified unless he specifically runs a check through on the list of dwarves. This simulates the sending out of alerts through the dwarven community to search for missing children; only when the child reaches the edge is the snatched alert sent. This might even make dealing with childsnatching more interesting.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 03:35:10 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: October 31, 2011, 06:06:13 pm »

How will vampire blood and the eventual potion system interact? Will a draught of blood be prepared like a potion and dwarves will choose to drink it or not on the same system? Do you picture doing anything special there when you eventually implement this stuff?

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: October 31, 2011, 06:26:15 pm »

Now, if only you had a sheriff with not much respect to authority and honor not accusing his close friends and relative for crimes they commit, THAT would be awesome. It would also be the very first independant choice of a dwarf.
Quickly followed by the sheriff blackmailing rich, guilty people for covering them up. Quickly followed by the sheriff blackmailing rich, innocent people for NOT accusing them. Not-quite-quickly followed by rich people orchestrating a most unfortunate occurence to your sheriff. Fun times !

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: October 31, 2011, 07:47:14 pm »

I have a few questions inspired by your mention of historical migrants:

1. Are all migrants historical figures, or are they still mostly generated on-the-spot?

2. What happens when your civ runs out of citizens? Or do historical migrants stop genning before then?

3. If something like the famous Cacame Apebalded incident happened, could you get elf migrants?
3b. I suppose this would count for non-dwarven adventurers as well.

4. Can the monarch migrate to your fortress if it houses most/all of the civ's population? (Which would require massive worldgen wars or something, but how unlikely is that?)

5. If that happened, would it count as a bug or an unintended feature? I can't imagine a monarch wanting to live in the Mountainhome after everyone else there is living at Fortressmurders or wherever.

#3 and possibly 2 and 5 might be kinda obvious, but I'm still interested.

(Okay, 5 might be a bit more than a few, but still...)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: October 31, 2011, 07:54:47 pm »

1. Are all migrants historical figures, or are they still mostly generated on-the-spot?

2. What happens when your civ runs out of citizens? Or do historical migrants stop genning before then?

3. If something like the famous Cacame Apebalded incident happened, could you get elf migrants?

4. Can the monarch migrate to your fortress if it houses most/all of the civ's population? (Which would require massive worldgen wars or something, but how unlikely is that?)

5. If that happened, would it count as a bug or an unintended feature? I can't imagine a monarch wanting to live in the Mountainhome after everyone else there is living at Fortressmurders or wherever.

1) Mostly generated on the spot. It just occasionally takes a historical figure now.

2) Age doesn't happen in game unless they enter active play. So your Civ cannot run out of citizens while your playing your fortress.

3) ???

4) Not currently

5) Bug

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: October 31, 2011, 08:48:56 pm »

Cruxador already gave very complete answers to your questions when you asked them in the thread you posted to ask them.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: October 31, 2011, 09:08:19 pm »

-snip-

Cruxador already gave very complete answers to your questions when you asked them in the thread you posted to ask them.

Ironically, he posted that question thread after this one, and the very first post told him to post them here.

Now, as for an important question;

Did you get Scamps a halloween costume?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: November 01, 2011, 04:29:14 am »

I hesitate to pile on questions but these are mostly yes/no ones. Hopefully they haven't been asked and answered while I wasn't looking.

Will it be possible that a member of the starting seven is a vampire before embark? Will vampires check the population of a fort before emigrating? Can another vampire come to a fort if one is already present? Will the lying skill be used for claims and counter-claims of vampirism and will it provide skill xp? If unmasked do vampires have an option between fleeing off map and fighting to the death (their own or the forts)?

The following is for us to discuss and not suggestions veiled as whatever, promise.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2680 on: November 01, 2011, 04:54:35 am »

If the starting seven can't be vampires they become fairly important individuals when it comes to testimony against others.

That assumens that one of them was not converted to vampire later by imigrating vampire. Ideally, right after first wave.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: November 01, 2011, 05:04:06 am »

*blinks* Very good point. I forgot about the whole conversion possibility. That would be pretty cool.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: November 01, 2011, 07:56:43 am »

If the starting seven can't be vampires they become fairly important individuals when it comes to testimony against others.

That assumens that one of them was not converted to vampire later by imigrating vampire. Ideally, right after first wave.

Well if the starting 7 included a Vampire... they probably wouldn't have survived the trip... that would have taken a week tops.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2683 on: November 01, 2011, 08:05:40 am »

Well if the starting 7 included a Vampire... they probably wouldn't have survived the trip... that would have taken a week tops.

That really depends on flavor of vampire.

For example vampires from J.Kulhanek books only drink about once a month and prefer cold (fish) blood over warm and absolutelly detest human blood (because it tastes bad).

They also have no trouble with sunlight and wield katanas and smgs.

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: November 01, 2011, 11:45:52 am »

This idea, while interesting, could get sort of complicated. What if he has a few buddy miners down there who stay with him but the group never gets seen by other dwarves?

I agree, where do you draw the line?. How many dwarves can disappear at a time?

what also might be awesome is a mood where the dwarf in question wanders off to the cave system below. have this happen only after you open one of the caves. have them ignore locked doors. they run into the caves and disappear from your view.
*scribble scribble*

Yes?
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 298