Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1167048 times)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2700 on: November 02, 2011, 01:23:34 pm »

I wonder if assigning five war animals to every dwarf in your fort would give a vampire problems.

Only because they would be limited by the FPS. 200 dwarves, 1000 dogs (or equiv)?

You might be better chaining an animal in every hallway as a lookout, and go for total individual coverage rather than individual. Zone defense.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: November 02, 2011, 11:18:07 pm »

You can set fortress guards to a burrow, and use burrows to set up patrol routes.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: November 03, 2011, 03:26:18 pm »

I like my "lots of doors and drawbridges" design. It makes it far easier to isolate threats and flooding, altough it'll be considerably harder to minimize vampire-induced casualties since now we need actual witnesses.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2703 on: November 03, 2011, 03:38:13 pm »

has anyone asked how common vampires will be in fort mode?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: November 03, 2011, 03:54:04 pm »

has anyone asked how common vampires will be in fort mode?

I don't think anyone asked, butI think it will depend on how common they are in the generated world. The chances of getting one vampire in your fortress must be higher as smaller is your world.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: November 03, 2011, 04:23:39 pm »

It probably also depends in history size. If you do a long world gen more dwarves will have pissed off the gods and they would be able to spread the vampirism to more dwarves.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: November 03, 2011, 07:35:52 pm »

I dont think every fort is going to get a vamp, or a lycan (cant forget the lycans kill folks now too), or necro sieges.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: November 03, 2011, 07:55:56 pm »

Toady: Any plans to add actual feeding for beasts in? Like instead of beasts leaving the corpses to rot, acting disinterested, they actually start eating the flesh away bit by bit leaving a skeleton or partly eaten corpse afterwards. Don't think this has been asked before.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: November 03, 2011, 11:26:14 pm »

Toady: Any plans to add actual feeding for beasts in? Like instead of beasts leaving the corpses to rot, acting disinterested, they actually start eating the flesh away bit by bit leaving a skeleton or partly eaten corpse afterwards. Don't think this has been asked before.

Its been asked before and answered, in both FotF (I think) and defiantly in the DF Talks podcasts. Toady acknowledges that animals in Fort actively, and adventure mode, more passively, that animals dont quite act like animals yet. Carnivores dont hunt, and only recently do pasture animals need to eat. He does stipulate, that eventually, this wont be the case.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: November 04, 2011, 01:51:59 am »

I dont think every fort is going to get a vamp, or a lycan (cant forget the lycans kill folks now too), or necro sieges.

Just out of curiosity, where exactly does the word "lycan" come from here? I've never seen that before except for one or two bad movies recently. Is that an established term or something?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: November 04, 2011, 01:54:39 am »

Just out of curiosity, where exactly does the word "lycan" come from here? I've never seen that before except for one or two bad movies recently. Is that an established term or something?

Mmmm plus it should really be therians (from therianthropy, i.e. lycanthropy for animals beyond just wolves).
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: November 04, 2011, 02:05:46 am »

Lycan is the latinised transliteration of the Greek word λυκος, or wolf.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: November 04, 2011, 03:40:40 am »

A question:
If you retire an adventurer on a mountainhome (currently an empty plot) then that adventurer can become a migrant.  Does this mean your elf or human adventurer can retire on a mountainhome and become a fortress mode migrant?  And as a sub question, if your adventurer retires on a site of a different civ or species, will that adventurer be able to migrate, or do they need to be on the specific civ site?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: November 04, 2011, 06:17:36 am »

Mmmm plus it should really be therians (from therianthropy, i.e. lycanthropy for animals beyond just wolves).

Yea, therian or zoanthropy, are more inclusive terms, but it seems that lycanthropes tends to be used for general animal ship shaping.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: November 04, 2011, 06:31:28 am »

Don't you mean shapeshifting?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 298