Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169366 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2715 on: November 04, 2011, 06:32:08 am »

Don't you mean shapeshifting?
Its like 4:30am for me.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: November 04, 2011, 08:34:23 am »

Lycanthrope has had its original definition expanded and is what I consider to be a word that has changed over time.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: November 04, 2011, 08:46:50 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is there a racist tag in cultural values?
n.b. communities being exclusive to 'strangers' or being extremely un-fond of irrellevant features, such as beards or being tall.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:21:27 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: November 04, 2011, 08:51:00 am »

Isn't a "racist" tag a bit... too much or silly?

Given that your reducing racism to a fundemental aspect of an entire society...

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: November 04, 2011, 08:55:21 am »

probably.
But I meant it as a variable value.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: November 04, 2011, 09:01:34 am »

Toady: Any plans to add actual feeding for beasts in? Like instead of beasts leaving the corpses to rot, acting disinterested, they actually start eating the flesh away bit by bit leaving a skeleton or partly eaten corpse afterwards. Don't think this has been asked before.

This has been commented on before:
Pets used to eat.  It made them worthless.  If it goes back in, there has to be more meat.  Dogs ate bones and it didn't help much.  The livestock also ate plump helmets instead of grazing.  I'd like them to eat, but there need to be a lot of changes.  If dogs also ate chunks it might help enough.  I'd rather add more game elements than model it.

And more recently:
Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: jimi12
will only herbivore animals be eating now or will carnivores and omnivores be hunting or scavenging meat?

I'm starting with just the grazers.  I'm not sure how I want to handle the others.

Is there a racist tag in cultural values?
n.b. communities being exclusive to 'strangers' or being extremely un-fond of irrellevant features, such as beards or being tall.

There obviously is not.  Toady has suggested that there may be some civ differences later with goblins being less discriminatory etc.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 03:44:05 pm by Footkerchief »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: November 04, 2011, 09:01:35 am »

probably.
But I meant it as a variable value.

As a measure of what exactly?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: November 04, 2011, 10:31:13 am »

As a measure a being friendly and helpfull to strangers and especially to those that look/behave differently than the norm.
Something like:

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: November 04, 2011, 12:41:42 pm »

10- Evil bastards - only exceptionally good humoured people will speak to you, unless money is involved. Prices for outsiders will always be higher than insiders are charged. Keep an eye on your backpack at all times!
You forgot "15 - Kill these jud elves on sight!".
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: November 04, 2011, 01:45:25 pm »

Since you brought it up, as a jew, I'd love to see homicidal racism in DF.  Imagine the challenge!  Imagine the satisfaction of bringing that nation down!

But only if it's a 5 minute addition as part of the code that alienates vampires and werewolves.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 01:47:09 pm by Fieari »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: November 04, 2011, 02:40:32 pm »

As a measure a being friendly and helpfull to strangers and especially to those that look/behave differently than the norm.
Something like:

Then that isn't racism... at all.

Since you brought it up, as a jew, I'd love to see homicidal racism in DF.

I just don't way it to be brought in artificially through some sort of weird superficial racism slider. There are reasons why racism is brought up and grow, or even shrink, over time.

Plus by what measure is the difference between rightful racial anger and unjust racist behavior? (For example: Hating demons vs. I don't know). A lot of precepts towards racism already exists within dwarf fortress but that is because of the unsolvable differences between the civilisations... but that isn't the same thing.

For the SAKE of conversation can we define racism as: Prejudice and hatred towards a race/species WITHIN the same civilisation?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: November 04, 2011, 04:14:06 pm »

How about we rephrase this?  For every instance you see "racism" replace it with the word "xenophobia".  IE: Is there a xenophobia token?  And to the guy who brought it up: it doesn't matter if you think it's an appropriate word.  It's a trigger word and you should always pull out your thesaurus before using a trigger word.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: November 04, 2011, 04:16:57 pm »

Racism and xenophobia aren't quite the same thing. They're similar, and might come from the same place, but still.

Of course, we can't take the modern concept of "race" for granted here. In the past, centuries ago, it's very possible that people drew distinctions based more on other things than skin color or whatever... especially in a hypothetical fantasy world where actual distinct humanoid species exist.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: November 04, 2011, 05:00:21 pm »

They're different, but for the purposes of this argument they mean the same thing: How does one creature/civ respond to other creatures/civs?  I take this to include same-species interaction, such as when you have two goblin civs, they would treat each other as different species for the purpose of civilization interaction.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: November 04, 2011, 05:38:15 pm »

I guess if you really wanted a word for it it would be something like "intersegmental hate and prejudice relations", including racism, cultural elitism, religious hatred, tribalism, whatever you can think of.

...But it sounds slightly silly.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 298