Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169254 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3090 on: November 28, 2011, 05:01:30 pm »

I don't think the triangles are that unrealistic.  Look at the interception of these two rivers near my home town here.  When the rivers flood, then the top profile is nearly exactly a triangle. 

I didn't get the point of your second link.  I see one river that forms a waterfall into a lake below.  Am I missing something?

Triangle:
Alright, but it doesn't occur with every river ever.  It's also not a year-round thing.

Second link:
I don't think I have the world any more (number of version increments and computer changes since then) but essentially it was an embark where 2(?) major rivers came together.  I don't know which direction was SUPPOSED to flow, but essentially they came together like this:

═╬═
 ║

And the embark was a nano embark on the center tile.

It didn't look like a lake on the world screen, but had a really odd result.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 05:04:08 pm by Draco18s »

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: November 29, 2011, 12:20:03 am »

Are there any plans for zoomed-in travel maps for player-made forts?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: November 29, 2011, 12:28:33 am »

Are there any plans for zoomed-in travel maps for player-made forts?

Wouldnt it be zoomed out?

Is this for use in Aventure Mode or Fort Mode?

If its Adventure Mode, then yea, all signs point to yes.

If you mean in Fort Mode, then I cant see it really have any utility .
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: November 29, 2011, 02:15:14 am »

Not really a question for Toady, but I hope that Dwarven farming gets some revisions soon, because it's super strange seeing these authentically gigantic fields and pastures around NPC settlements and then founding a fort and being able to feed all 200 of your dwarves on a few 5x5 plots.
Adon * Amil * Orethan

Olix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: November 29, 2011, 05:27:36 am »

Not really a question for Toady, but I hope that Dwarven farming gets some revisions soon, because it's super strange seeing these authentically gigantic fields and pastures around NPC settlements and then founding a fort and being able to feed all 200 of your dwarves on a few 5x5 plots.

I came to post here for the first time in ages to say just this. I love the scale of the new fields for the farms in these recent maps. It would be cool if we needed a similar scale in our fields to feed the dwarfs in fortress mode. Space limitations for small embark sites wouldn't be a problem, as there are so many z-levels to work with.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: November 29, 2011, 06:55:54 am »

I just read the latest devlog and took a look at the maps.

First thing: Awesome work Toady!!

Any plans on making the rivers look more natural? Like less straight segments with sharp edges?

Quote from: devlog
(...) the mud blends too much with the dirt roads here because the local soil is also brown.
Perhaps use unvaried tiles for the dirt roads? Would make them look more like something man-made.

Any chance to have the paved roads look different (not brown) from dirt roads in the map?

I hope noone minds too much these suggestion-questions.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: November 29, 2011, 07:29:08 am »

I came to post here for the first time in ages to say just this. I love the scale of the new fields for the farms in these recent maps. It would be cool if we needed a similar scale in our fields to feed the dwarfs in fortress mode. Space limitations for small embark sites wouldn't be a problem, as there are so many z-levels to work with.
The answer, is a surprising yes. Fort Mode farming will be worked over... eventually. It'll probably also incorporate something with the outlying hill dwarfs, that aren't physically in your fort, but our a part of the fort overall.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: November 29, 2011, 08:29:27 am »

Those maps look great! We all agree that they need more work to be PERFECT but to be honest if I saw that in a finished dwarf fortress I probably wouldn't think twice about (or really notice) most of the oddities. Maybe the bridge is under construction =p. Also, my friend's dad has a farm out in West Virginia that's pretty much surrounded by crops except for the road in and a small gravel plot around it. While I'm not sure if it's period specific for DF I've seen it in modern times. Another thing I find is that the dirt roads are fine the way they are since they aren't really man made, just paths created from walking. Maybe uniform tiles would make things seem more like a path, but the way I see it it's just the same thing as the rest of the ground just without foliage and packed a little harder.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: November 29, 2011, 08:56:46 am »

Oh yeah!  Will echo the sentiments of all above, the livestock in the fields looks awesome.  Who'd have thought an ASCII picture of pigs and poultry could turn my thoughts from Skyrim?  But it has.   :o 

Quote from: Procedural Toady
No animals or people use the streets yet

I don't know if adventure mode uses the same pathfinding system as fortress mode but, does this mean that adventure mode will incorporate the fortress mode path-designation mechanic - say by auto assigning roads and paths a lower (or is that higher?) pathfinding weight?  Could/would this be extended to all terrain in general?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: November 29, 2011, 09:24:47 am »

There seems to be a problem with tables in some of the shops . . .
that might prove to be a pathing hassle.

The developments are awesome.  :D
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: November 29, 2011, 10:05:53 am »

The timescale will probably be a bigger problem than space limitations.  There's not enough time in the year for Fortress Mode farmers to walk around such a big field.

Oh yeah!  Will echo the sentiments of all above, the livestock in the fields looks awesome.  Who'd have thought an ASCII picture of pigs and poultry could turn my thoughts from Skyrim?  But it has.   :o 

Quote from: Procedural Toady
No animals or people use the streets yet

I don't know if adventure mode uses the same pathfinding system as fortress mode but, does this mean that adventure mode will incorporate the fortress mode path-designation mechanic - say by auto assigning roads and paths a lower (or is that higher?) pathfinding weight?  Could/would this be extended to all terrain in general?

Townspeople in current and past versions of Adventure Mode already use roads and little dirt paths to travel around town.  I'm guessing that the same code will be used for the new towns, although not sure what the implementation is.  I doubt it's pathfinding weight.  Maybe it does A* on the abstracted road map -- that's been proposed for Fort Mode, but the big problem there is figuring out which abstract nodes your start/end points are closest to.  Adv Mode towns probably have a relatively small number of destinations that can easily be grouped by the nearest road intersection/terminus.

What do you mean about "all terrain in general"?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 11:23:17 am by Footkerchief »

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: November 29, 2011, 10:45:50 am »

Quote from: devlog
There are some pigs and turkeys among the market stalls... I'm not sure why yet

That actually sounds reasonable for the time period, especially for a small market in a village or small town.  Of course if it's a programming glitch, it could lead to other problems. 
I must say that the town and maps and everything look superb!  I'm really excited to wander around these new types of places.  I particularly like the ramp in the dead-end alley leading down into the sewers!  It's placed perfectly.

Anyone know what the Left Brackets are on the street east of the market area?  They are near the end of the paved street at the Y intersection?  Nevermind, sorry, I just realized they are signs for the shops... (I only play in ascii occassionally)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:49:54 am by Chromasphere »
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: November 29, 2011, 10:47:42 am »

Hmm, perhaps rougher terrain should slow down people walking on it? Then it would actually be more efficient for dwarves to travel on a nice road or a smoothed floor rather than have to wade through chin high grass or struggle over rocks and divets to get places. Is there any system like this already in place? Would a system like this affect adventure mode NPCs, or do they pathfind different from dwarves or does the same pathfinding weight argument above nullify it for them?

On a more related note, Are there any plans to implement irrigation channels in appropriate biomes? Also, will there be farming related disaster in worldgen like locust swarms or salt buildup that cause an area to produce little to no food for a period of time or, in the case of salt buildup, become unfarmable due to improper/unsustainable farming habits?

Edit: Stricken question answered
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 11:25:05 am by Shinotsa »
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: November 29, 2011, 11:18:49 am »

The town looks nice apart from the mentioned issues (and a few other things like plants growing in the houses and the shop sign in the wall to the right of the market). The bridge issue brings up the fact that rivers tend to be one z-level lower than the surroundings, preventing easy access (and preventing exiting at all), though.

On a more related note, Are there any plans to implement irrigation channels in appropriate biomes? Also, will there be farming related disaster in worldgen like locust swarms or salt buildup that cause an area to produce little to no food for a period of time or, in the case of salt buildup, become unfarmable due to improper/unsustainable farming habits?
I'd say all of that fits under the Farming Improvements bullet on the dev page:

Farming Improvements

Soil moisture tracking and ability to moisten soil (buckets or other irrigation)
    Soil nutrient requirements for plants and nutrient tracking to the extent the farming interface can provide decent feedback for you, fertilizers can reflect this
    Harvestable flowers and fruit growing on plants, ability to plant trees
    Weeds
    More pests

The disasters are more likely to come in at the tail end of those improvements, once worldgen people no longer routinely starve to death.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: November 29, 2011, 11:34:43 am »

Are the animals in the villages/pastures owned by particular people or are they considered a part of the village entity - who gets angered when livestock is killed by an adventurer?
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 298