Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169351 times)

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3315 on: December 11, 2011, 04:19:10 pm »

So, in an effort to help visualize the cities, I created a couple of "map overlays" that allow you to see a direct comparison between the abstracted maps we've seen so far, and what is actually in-game. I didn't know that this relationship is practically one-to-one, so the overlays ended up looking really nice.

I guess this style of forum doesn't let you include straight up HTML, so you can find said overlays here:
http://jreengusoccurring.blogspot.com/2011/12/city-map-overlays.html

That's neat, but I thought those maps were 1-to-1...
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: December 11, 2011, 04:26:13 pm »

3) A last, unrelated question, that may have already been answered (forgive me if it has) - Will we be getting caste-specific graphics soon?

Already have it.

Are you sure?  AFAIK caste selectors for graphics didn't make it into 31.01, and I don't think they were added in subsequent releases.

In that different castes of the same creature (say, a dwarf for example) have different tiles? Yes.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: December 11, 2011, 04:26:26 pm »

So, in an effort to help visualize the cities, I created a couple of "map overlays" that allow you to see a direct comparison between the abstracted maps we've seen so far, and what is actually in-game. I didn't know that this relationship is practically one-to-one, so the overlays ended up looking really nice.

I guess this style of forum doesn't let you include straight up HTML, so you can find said overlays here:
http://jreengusoccurring.blogspot.com/2011/12/city-map-overlays.html

That's neat, but I thought those maps were 1-to-1...

I guess that's old news, then. I just didn't know it mapped so perfectly. I figured the abstracted maps were just that, a more general idea of what districts or building placements should look like.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: December 11, 2011, 04:30:28 pm »

3) A last, unrelated question, that may have already been answered (forgive me if it has) - Will we be getting caste-specific graphics soon?

Already have it.

Are you sure?  AFAIK caste selectors for graphics didn't make it into 31.01, and I don't think they were added in subsequent releases.

In that different castes of the same creature (say, a dwarf for example) have different tiles? Yes.

Caste-level graphics are impossible, I'm pretty sure.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: December 11, 2011, 04:36:48 pm »

The question wasn't about tiles though, but about graphics.

The devlog has mentioned 'bad luck' curse before. If one is afflicted, is it possible to get better?
Curses are permanent for the time being. Lifting curses has been talked about in DF Talk and a few of the answer posts, though, and is planned for the future.

What I was unclear on - is DEFAULT a generic caste of werebeasts or is it used in the same way as DEFAULT is used in graphics definitions? 

i.e. [DEFAULT:HUMIES:0:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

The difference is that one allows caste specification, while the other doesn't (if it did, we would have caste-level graphics, but we don't yet).  I'm hoping you're right, as it was how I was planning to use the new tokens for dwarven "augmentation."
I'm pretty sure it's the default caste. It's the same format as other tags that select specific castes, and the xml export names the caste of casteless creatures as DEFAULT.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3320 on: December 11, 2011, 05:32:18 pm »

I kind of feel like I was unfairly lured into this game and community, and my money was taken for a cause that didn't really exist. 

I normally don't go into contribution details, but since murlocdummy has become somewhat ridiculous, and the payments are recent, I've returned them.  I've also banned his account to make it easier for him to move along to greener pastures.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: December 11, 2011, 05:47:16 pm »

Wow, I thought I could be negative and maybe boarderline antagonistic towards Dwarf Fortress... but going over murlocdummy's old posts... Somehow makes me feel better.

He probably should have done his research a bit more... as the vast majority of his points were already long since answered or explained.

CharlesPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • My Dark Twisted Pretzel Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: December 11, 2011, 05:48:17 pm »

I kind of feel like I was unfairly lured into this game and community, and my money was taken for a cause that didn't really exist. 

I normally don't go into contribution details, but since murlocdummy has become somewhat ridiculous, and the payments are recent, I've returned them.  I've also banned his account to make it easier for him to move along to greener pastures.

hahaha, niiiiiiice. he was like, the ultimate troll.
UU,.~U~,.\b,.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: December 11, 2011, 05:52:03 pm »

hahaha, niiiiiiice. he was like, the ultimate troll.

I see him more like someone who saw 20% of a great idea and wanted the other 80% of it to be just as great.

In a similar way to my relationship with Minecraft (except I complain a bit less and understand why it is going where it is going and only blame myself for gambling on it being a game I'd really enjoy later on based on inconclusive evidence).

THOUGH specifically calling me out before I even posted to say that I don't listen to him...

I have the sneeking suspicion that the correct course is to just instantly move on.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 05:54:42 pm by Neonivek »

CharlesPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • My Dark Twisted Pretzel Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: December 11, 2011, 06:01:18 pm »

I see him more like someone who saw 20% of a great idea and wanted the other 80% of it to be just as great.

In a similar way to my relationship with Minecraft (except I complain a bit less).

THOUGH specifically calling me out before I even posted to say that I don't listen to him...

I have the sneeking suspicion that the correct course is to just instantly move on.

maybe. but for DF at least, the problem is that the other 80% of the game doesn't exist in it's final state yet, so of course it's gunna feel thrown together and/or not meeting potential and gunna let some people down. but it just seemed like he was being belligerent for the sake of it. That Salvation Army Santa thing was hilarious.
UU,.~U~,.\b,.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: December 11, 2011, 06:02:49 pm »

Ohh no, you mistake what I meant.

I mean he saw 20% as a great idea. In otherwords he didn't like the other 80% of the game.

It is my relationship with Minecraft. I see a lot of potential for it to be one of the games I always wanted... it is just that it isn't going to be that game and it is quite obvious now.

Also the Salvation army santa check thing I also found hillarious if only because he said it as if it wasn't in some way true. One of the major criticisms of many a charity is that their overhead is often quite large and it isn't unusual for a charity to give less to the cause itself then its own costs.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 06:05:52 pm by Neonivek »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: December 11, 2011, 06:04:16 pm »

Are there going to be more complicated trade agreements than what we have now, based on the outside world? For example, the liaison might say, "Hey, Urist, I know this is kind of on short notice, but last Felsite old Bomrek III died and his son Solon IV ascended to the throne and declared war on the elves to the east, so we're getting our army set up, and we'll buy all the steel you can produce- at 150% the cover price."

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: December 11, 2011, 06:19:34 pm »

Are there going to be more complicated trade agreements than what we have now, based on the outside world? For example, the liaison might say, "Hey, Urist, I know this is kind of on short notice, but last Felsite old Bomrek III died and his son Solon IV ascended to the throne and declared war on the elves to the east, so we're getting our army set up, and we'll buy all the steel you can produce- at 150% the cover price."

"Improved dwarf mode trade agreements" are on the dev page under "World economy," and that's all in the broader context of the Caravan Arc.  So it's on the way.  However, the scenario you described won't be possible until settlements are making trade decisions during gameplay a la Release 5.  The more immediate changes to trade agreements will probably involve getting them working with the new caravans:

Quote from: monk12
Will trade embargoes be handled at some point in the Caravan Arc?

In those first releases?  Probably not, since the listed releases just get the basics of caravans moving around at all and the ability to make basic agreements with them.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 06:26:19 pm by Footkerchief »

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: December 11, 2011, 06:59:04 pm »

Let's not talk about a person who's been banned and can't defend themselves.
It's over now.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: December 11, 2011, 07:08:08 pm »

Let's not talk about a person who's been banned and can't defend themselves.
It's over now.

Let us instead talk about the possibility of possible Megabeast Mummies with curses that transform people into their half-breed children/kin.

Oooh! or possibly Megabeasts that instead of dying come back as some sort of corrupted version of themselves (I can imagine Titans doing that)

Though I believe right now... Powers cannot be mummies and there are no "sentient" Megabeasts and no "social" semimegabeast.
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 298