Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 843073 times)

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - Götterdämmerung (Succession Game)
« Reply #2280 on: August 30, 2012, 08:51:48 pm »

EDIT: Also helps she's legendary in Siege Operator which gives nice stat boosts.
Mmm.... I'm not sure if it still works like that. Or at least... there's nothing listed on her description page. Runesmith does say she's above average (sometimes significantly) for all the attributes that Siege Op influences, so iono.

Also something I noticed:
Quote from: NCommander
At peak performance and a few minor design tweaks, the BATTERERY could generate up to 4000 kilo-urists of power. Despite this marvel of machinery, for many years, the BATTERERY was only used to operate a single milestone. One could say it was the most vastly overpowered milestone in history.
Ahahaha. Thank you NCommander, for that guided tour oh-so-many pages back. Been doing a little catch up, since I dunno what half this stuff--er, I mean, 90% of this stuff--does.

11. "ThatAussieDwarf" Gikuturdim, Uncivil Engineering Overlord
   Feet blistered.
   Wielding a copper pick.
   Talented Engraver, Competent Carpenter (R), Expert Animal Trainer (VR), Adequate Butcher (R), Skilled Consoler (VR)
   Male.
He's still about, yes. Sadly he doesn't seem to have any actual engineering (or mechanical, or architectural) skills, and the only dwarf that does... well... I'll get to that.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 08:58:58 pm by wlerin »
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: August 30, 2012, 08:57:04 pm »

If you're looking for power, I believe my half-finished BATTERY (better output, better efficiency, better spelling) is north-west of the BATTREREY site.  It needs a fair bit of work though.

And all hail the blistered aussie overlord!

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: August 30, 2012, 09:00:32 pm »

What I need atm is water. The hospital has four wells, all of them dry. Not to mention flooding of the lower farms appears to have been aborted. Granted, we probably don't need that much farmland for 40 (soon to be 39 if I cannae prevent it) dwarves.

I have seen the Areltulon, but ... it's a little... FPS intensive? I'm pretty sure it's also started growing trees, so it won't be an option for much longer. It'll take me at least that long to rig up a method to divert the water.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:13:25 pm by wlerin »
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: August 30, 2012, 09:30:25 pm »

What I need atm is water. The hospital has four wells, all of them dry. Not to mention flooding of the lower farms appears to have been aborted. Granted, we probably don't need that much farmland for 40 (soon to be 39 if I cannae prevent it) dwarves.

I have seen the Areltulon, but ... it's a little... FPS intensive? I'm pretty sure it's also started growing trees, so it won't be an option for much longer. It'll take me at least that long to rig up a method to divert the water.

If you can get the few wheels in place turning with a manually-pumped screwpump (if it holds up to an FPS test), you can use just a floorplate set to 1/7-4/7 (take into account water flowing in the channel t0 the well) and a gear connected to a screwpump to create a self-filling well that can't overflow.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: August 30, 2012, 10:02:30 pm »

I just realized what this maze of twisty passages around, above, and below the hospital is supposed to do.

I'm gonna need a lot of water. Probably not a good idea to connect the showers to the wells though. Turns out they are separate. Whoever designed this went to a lot of trouble to make it look like they weren't, though.

Is there any way to prevent trees from growing on muddied tiles? Roads? Constructed floors?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:10:32 pm by wlerin »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: August 30, 2012, 10:27:47 pm »

I just realized what this maze of twisty passages around, above, and below the hospital is supposed to do.

I'm gonna need a lot of water. Probably not a good idea to connect the showers to the wells though. Turns out they are separate. Whoever designed this went to a lot of trouble to make it look like they weren't, though.

Is there any way to prevent trees from growing on muddied tiles? Roads? Constructed floors?

Either will suit you just fine.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: September 01, 2012, 09:57:01 pm »

Oh dear. This can't be good.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: September 02, 2012, 02:09:10 am »

This, this is why I love this type of fortress.

You know, I was all set to actually do a little light trolling during my turn. I was going to build iron or wooden spike traps in random high-traffic areas and link them to pressure plates in random low-traffic areas, then hide the lot...

In the end I decided it'd be a dickish thing to do, but for a minute there I almost did it. It would have been so funny if we weren't down to dwarven reproduction as a population expansion method.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: September 02, 2012, 05:01:35 am »

Yah. There are a lot of things I'd consider doing if these weren't the last 4039 dwarves in the world. Still might.

-----

Journal of Kogan "Irony II" Fikodavuz, Scribe of Deathgate, Assistant to Mayor Kosoth

22 Granite, 779

So. Much. Blood. As if the last three weeks hadn't been bad enough. Now this. But I'm too exhausted to write now. At least we re-opened the Hospital in time.

Now that I think about it, everything started going wrong once we breached the walls.... Maybe opening the hospital wasn't such a good idea after all.

Uggh. Too much. I need a drink.

-----

[OOC: There are currently nine dwarves recuperating in the hospital, most of them children. Not all of them show up in this screenshot, for various reasons.]
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 05:06:08 am by wlerin »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: September 02, 2012, 05:31:19 am »

It's only a bunch of children.  You say it like we've lost some useful dwarves

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: September 02, 2012, 06:07:19 am »

They are actually pretty useful when you need to tear down constructions.

Erm... it's 5 adults, 4 children. I'm not sure if one of the children is actually afflicted or just sleeping with his/her mother. Wait. That can't be right. Arg. I've closed the program down to work on something else, so I'll have to check tomorrow.

And not everyone made it to the hospital.

-----

By the way, hypothetically, if a threat that endangered the lives of every remaining dwarf in the fortress materialized, and the only normal means of eliminating that threat was bugged... would hackery be acceptable?

Not so hypothetically, I have an idea how to work it into the story, but if we don't do something eventually, we're just going to keep losing dwarf after dwarf.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 06:16:37 am by wlerin »

ZanVaelius

• Bay Watcher
  • The Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: September 02, 2012, 07:08:00 am »

Sorry to be bothering you, but have I been by any chance dorfed ?  :)
Quote from: Mageziya
SLADE!? Dear lord, holy Armok, flying fudge pickles. I had no idea the procedural generator could use SLADE for forgotten beasts.
Quote from: Hurize
It can, very rare.... But when it does you get get the message "RAEPING TIEM" when it arrives at your base

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: September 02, 2012, 07:44:13 am »

So just what kind of crippling dust/gas IS the creature spewing on our dwarves?

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: September 02, 2012, 01:12:31 pm »

The one that's killing dwarves? Ectoplasm, I'd imagine.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 01:14:18 pm by wlerin »

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: September 02, 2012, 07:36:28 pm »

Wait, what's happening?
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 175