Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 841117 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: Deathgate - Götterdämmerung (Succession Game)
« Reply #2340 on: September 15, 2012, 03:23:18 am »

It's... complicated. I found a few places where the passageways had not been fully blocked off, but for the most part Eldes managed to seal off Upper Deathgate during his turn. (At least I think it was Eldes.) I've knocked down a few walls to regain access, but at this point trying to traverse from the farms to the gate is pretty much trying to find ones way through a labyrinth. Most of the dwarves are heading through a breached wall into the BATTEREY ruins, up to the upper level of the batterey, up some random ramps that someone placed there, that lead to a twisting double spiral staircase up to the main level. There does seem to be another way, since dwarves randomly pop up out of other corridors, but I haven't found it.

As for the trolls, I've been watching them and so far they haven't even attempted to climb the ramp, let alone brave the Bridge of Death. Traders made it in fine, killing a troll in the process. (Human ones though... I didn't have a system in place to kill them, and the whole point of opening the gate was to, hopefully, obtain gypsum from the dwarven caravan, if one comes, so I can't just lock them in to starve.)

Got the marksdwarves on alert, just in case, though it would have been nice if the ammo stockpiles hadn't been cleared out.

Hrm, two possibilities:

1. We broke pathfinding (which isn't completely suprising. Failcannon's best defense system was that forgotten beasts couldn't actually path into the fort)

2. Leader might be dead/in a cage which is a longstanding 31 series bug (semi-fixed in 34) where they just won't leave but won't move.

I'm downloading 31.25 to see if I can remember how the stairways attach. I think I do remember, but its been so long I rather not guess.

EDIT: Yeah, wow, I forgot how much fun Upper Deathgate is.

Right, so here's a brief explanation on how everything attaches. There is in effect four pathways from top to bottom. There's the central stairwell, one ramps, a smaller staircase, and noodle's demon exterminator which is pretty much unpassable (but relevant).

The central stairs (aka the 3x3 ones) run along all three cavern layers until they come up into the coffin hall in Upper Deathgate. Two doors (forbidden in Eldes save) connect that to UDG proper. Going all the way up, there is direct access to the farms (walls marked for construction), and a hallway that leads to one side of the spiral staircase (no walls marked for construction)

The ramps stairs by the workshops in lower Deathgate before winding its way to form the mouth of our logo. In the logo, we have five stairways. Two lead to an ledge over open space, one is part of the demon exterminator and is blocked off by both trees and magma, and the final one leads to the BATTERERY'S drive train. That one has been walled off. There is a 3x1 upstairs at the bottom that connect to a small hallway (we'll come back to this in a moment). So three down, one to go.

The final one is a 3x1 staircase which is pretty much a straight shot. It connects from the center of Lower Deathgate into that hallway we mentioned earlier.

From this hallway, we have two paths. One is a single tile stairwell leading right up to a small room off the entrance intersection. None of its doors are forbidden thus its an open path (probably this is where your leak is).

The other one is a 3x1 staircase with an exit just below the farming level, and under a set of hatchways off the central intersection.

In short, to seal up Upper Deathgate, you merely need to forbid the hatches south of the 4 way intersection, follow that staircase down to its connection to the farms, forbid those doorways, then find the 1x1 staircase (if you find the 3x1 I'm referring to from the top, look for an up/down staircase running by itself), and forbid the doors in that room.

Since your coming out the BATTERERY ruins, I'm guessing you popped a hole in the logo staircase.

EDIT 2: Second note, that 1x1 staircase has another staircase near by that goes up and leads to a hallway that may allow access. I think the door is already forbidden.

EDIT 3: Left out a second detail about that 3x3 staircase which I amended. I think that's all the access routes.

EDIT 4: Decided to look at our military, and almost of them have positive stats (agile/incredibly agile/etc, and some menthoning strength). Looking like the year of pump operator + swimming really did buff them to hell (since Eldes left most of them as pump operators).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 04:15:54 am by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: September 15, 2012, 05:02:26 am »

Well... the military is alright... Thaddeus has nerve damage though, and that leaves basically just Scaliper as a trained melee dwarf, plus the five marksdwarves. Other potential recruits may have nice stats, but they've no skill.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: September 15, 2012, 06:48:13 pm »

Well... the military is alright... Thaddeus has nerve damage though, and that leaves basically just Scaliper as a trained melee dwarf, plus the five marksdwarves. Other potential recruits may have nice stats, but they've no skill.

...Wait...I'm still alive? Good heavens. I thought I died a few turns ago.

* scaliper opens booze
Cheers, y'all!
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.
Unless you load the quadruplegics into catapults and fire them on the enemy.
First person to record farming in HFS, and in a community fort no less!

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: September 15, 2012, 07:19:20 pm »

Most of the dwarves are heading through a breached wall into the BATTEREY ruins, up to the upper level of the batterey, up some random ramps that someone placed there, that lead to a twisting double spiral staircase up to the main level. There does seem to be another way, since dwarves randomly pop up out of other corridors, but I haven't found it.

So the dwarves of Deathgate have discovered quantum tunnelling?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: September 15, 2012, 07:22:16 pm »

...Wait...I'm still alive? Good heavens. I thought I died a few turns ago.

* scaliper opens booze
Cheers, y'all!

Well...

6. "Scaliper II" Mebzuthudar, SpearCARP
Not quite "still alive"...
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #2345 on: September 15, 2012, 11:53:35 pm »

Could be worse. At least we have a military. Wonder if they've been hardened to death yet.

6. "Scaliper II" Mebzuthudar, SpearCARP
Not quite "still alive"...

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology."

Mentally, when a dorf bites it and is redorfed, I like to picture Mad Fool taking the old dwarf's brain, and sticking it into a (perhaps unwilling and/or still living) test subject.

(coincidentally, he is one of the oldest named dwarfs, I think he's been around since nearly the beginning of Deathgate).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 07:23:46 am by NCommander »
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: September 15, 2012, 11:56:55 pm »

I think you over-quoted there, NCommander.

I'm surprised the Mad Fool's still allowed anywhere NEAR a hospital without the patients trying to beat him to death with their crutches.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #2347 on: September 16, 2012, 07:28:35 am »

I think you over-quoted there, NCommander.

I'm surprised the Mad Fool's still allowed anywhere NEAR a hospital without the patients trying to beat him to death with their crutches.

Oops, post fixed. Thanks.

What I don't get is we have hell open. Shouldn't our dead dwarfs simply respawn somewhere near the bunker? :-)

As for why the Mad Fool is allowed, well, how many docs (if you can call him that) are willing to poke demon extract with a stick? He's the only reason our hospital doesn't have a 100% fatality rate. I do strongly suspect though that Deathgate's healthcare system has claimed more lives than the demons ever did ...

(on a completely unrelated note, I noticed in most forts that hosiptals are either really awesome, or really suck. Then again, I've managed to level one doctor into legendary into almost all his skills ...)

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: September 17, 2012, 01:49:09 am »

Deathgate never ceases to make me proud.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: September 19, 2012, 11:55:30 am »

Deathgate never ceases to make me proud.

The fort's not dead till I've had my turn!  I'LL UNLEASH MADNESS AND MECHANICAL WONDERS UPON ITS HALLS!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #2350 on: September 19, 2012, 06:26:47 pm »

I had some free time today, so I sat and updated our TVTropes, including one just for our aqueduct fun.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: September 19, 2012, 07:07:37 pm »

I had some free time today, so I sat and updated our TVTropes, including one just for our aqueduct fun.
Do It Yourself Plumbing Project? Heh, yeah. Totally fits. Anyone else giving the trope page some love?
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: September 21, 2012, 10:02:43 pm »

Deathgate? ON PAGE TWO?

This... Shall... Not... BE!
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

The Mad Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: September 21, 2012, 10:19:12 pm »

(coincidentally, he is one of the oldest named dwarfs, I think he's been around since nearly the beginning of Deathgate).

MWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!  I am IMMORTAL!!!!

Ohhh, demon extract.  I must get my poking stick, yessssss....
The closest thing we have to what some call 'allies' gets slaughtered in front of our gates. Unfortunately they don't transform into mindless beasts, trying to kill us.
Today is a sad day.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: September 22, 2012, 03:02:43 pm »

[Sorry for the lack of updates. I've finally got some time today so I'll finish up the year and post it tonight.]

----

[Oh look, here it is. More to come. I just thought this was a good place to break the narrative.]

Excerpts from the Journal of Irony II Fikodavuz
Deathgate, Last Stronghold of the Basement of Murders
Year 779

Part 3: The Widening Gyre

24 Granite
Another dwarf, this time Mitchewawa, our head carpenter, has taken to bed complaining of dizziness. That makes 8 adults in the hospital, and more children, as well as one dwarf who should be in the hospital but continues to work sans arm. Myself and 3 others have been tasked to assist the Mad Fool and his assistant NRDL to prevent any more dwarves dying of neglect the way Zulban did. The mayor has reluctantly allowed me to delay my aqueduct project until this crisis has passed.

1 Slate   [The ink on this page is oddly smeared, as though splattered with a colourless liquid long after it had dried.]
Doren Erithiden has entered adulthood. I immediately added him to the hospital crew, to allow me to attend to my other duties as mayor's assistant. He is a fine example of Deathgate's youth, despite the trauma of his childhood, and I foresee a bright future for him.

5 Slate
The crafters have been requesting additional storerooms. After consulting with a recovering Mitchewawa and several of the masons, I have set the miners to excavating a new storeroom beneath the craft halls.

16 Slate
Despite the loss of his arm, Tirist has distinguished himself in numerous labours throughout the fort, most recently acquiring a proficiency in carpentry. His determination is an inspiration to me, and I hope to others as well. We gravely require such inspiration in these trying times.

27 Slate
I... I've dreaded this day for years. I knew it would happen. But I tried to forget. Busied myself with activities, with helping the mayor, feeding the wounded, caring for the geese. But today she was here. In my office.

My mother.

My dead mother.

I couldn't do anything, couldn't say anything, only sit there, shivering, as a form I only dimly remembered half walked, half floated through the room, rustling papers, eyes never leaving mine. Finally she came to rest/stand at my desk. Her mouth moved but no sound came out. She frowned and tried to speak again. Nothing, at least nothing my mortal ears could hear. She continued to stand there I know not how long, then finally turned and left. As she left, I noticed that a strange dark shadow seemed to hover about her feet, just like that afflicting the nameless ghost, but she was not nearly so tormented as he. Of that I am glad. My heart could not have borne more.

I know I will see her again. Strangely, I no longer fear it.

7 Felsite
As a temporary solution to our water problem, one of the older aqueducts has been partially opened to allow water from the highest cavern to slowly trickle down to our level. It does not yet go anywhere from there, but it is at least available should there be an emergency. Some dwarves report seeing movement in the cavern lake near the water intake. Hopefully whatever it is doesn't decide to investigate.

13 Felsite
I took some time today to walk the halls of upper and middle Deathgate. A great many places are walled off or inaccessible, or locked, but I should be able to accomplish what the mayor requested. Curiously, I heard the noise of a cat and geese fighting while passing the old BATTEREY, but could not locate its source. The old fort is quite the maze.

At the urgings of ThatAussieDwarf, I ordered the old BATTEREY dismantled. It serves no purpose in its current state, and the wood and mechanisms will be useful in the construction of the new BATTERY, as well as the axles needed to utilize its power.

Speaking of the new BATTERY, I've given TAD what labour we can spare to continue work on its construction, though it is a tedious and time consuming task, and I suspect I will need that labour on the aqueduct soon enough.

26 Felsite
I am informed that Mosus Zefonrodim, one of the children in the hospital recovering from demon plague, has entered his twelfth year. One more hand will be extremely welcome around the fortress, once he recovers.

Summer is almost upon us, and with the hospital situation under control, the diagrams drawn, and the fortress surveyed, I am ready to begin the mayor's aqueduct project.

27 Felsite
Mother visited again.

SUMMER 779

17 Hematite
Work on the aqueduct is going smoothly. Old overseers' notes revealed an existing passageway leading from the high cavern to an empty room below the hospital, which should be sufficient for the purpose. I've ordered it extended, and all flat areas paved to prevent it from being overgrown the way the previous aqueducts were.

21 Hematite
Tragedy! The ghost has struck again! This time he has mauled young Doren. I'm going to go see him. I may write more later.

23 Hematite
The ghost's attacks are becoming more serious. First he tore off Zulban's leg, then Tirist's arm, now he's come dangerously close to piercing Doren's lung.

Despite the tragedy, there is some good news. Most of the children have recovered from the demon plague, and the number of hospital patients is now down to five--Doren, as well as Krosan and Mitchewawa, and Risen and Ashrir. The last four all have begun blistering on their feet, so they should be up and about again soon. This means I can finally leave healthcare duty to the doctor and his assistants, and free up labour for the aqueduct project.

And one other thing that came up with Doren's injury. There is no plaster available, nor any gypsum from which to make it. If we cannot exorcise this spirit of rage, then we *need* gypsum to care for those he wounds. Lookouts on the temple have seen no sign of goblins for the past month, so we are going to risk opening the fortress to the outside world come autumn, in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, some dwarves from the outer lands will remember us and bring a caravan to the last mountainhome.

17 Malachite
It took knocking down several walls and convincing NCommander to give up the keys to the last few doors, but we were finally able to access the bridge levers. Since there has still been no sign of goblins, I ordered them opened immediately, knowing how long it would take a dwarf from lower deathgate to reach it.

We also rebuilt the old trade depot in case our hopes did not prove unfounded.

25 Malachite
At long last Mitchewawa made his way to the lever

and pulled

and the mighty bridge shielding Deathgate from the surface world

slammed down for the first time in over a year.

A few trolls milled around outside, but without any goblins to direct them they showed no interest in our newly exposed interior. All the same, NCommander's squad redoubled their training efforts.

17 Galena
Blast! A caravan arrived alright, but not a dwarven one. Ah well. Those filthy, demon-worshipping heathens will have to walk past the trolls to reach us, so either way one problem will be solved today.

19 Galena
Kol Kalantulon has been taken by a mood!

This could be good... or very bad... or very meh.

22 Galena
Kol, the moody dwarf, has claimed mechanics workshop and immediately set about gathering materials. Very good it is, especially since our last mechanic died of neglect, and our new trainee isn't even proficient yet.

23 Galena
The Depot is open for business. Too bad it doesn't double as a drowning chamber. She won't be very happy about this.

AUTUMN 779

14 Limestone
Kol has assembled his materials and begun his construction.

17 Limestone
I am informed that Marksdwarf training is going well, though NCommander mentioned something about needing to reorganize. Krosan especially has distinguished himself.

And Kol has completed his masterwork: A diorite mechanism.

22 Limestone
Finally those foul humans have embarked. Now to cleanse the depot in case our brethren show up.

[Undated entry. Dark smears. Blood?]
Oh no. Oh no, oh no, oh no no no no.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:00:04 pm by wlerin »
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 175