Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1254255 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - It's out! And there's a 4 pack
« Reply #795 on: May 18, 2011, 06:20:57 pm »

Is there any other way to remove the dirt background underground besides starting from above ground and chipping away at it from there?

I don't think so, but if anything will work, it would be dynamite.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 18, 2011, 06:21:12 pm »

One thing that will up Terraria's replaybility for me is more stuff like the dungeon. _Not_ an entire biome, but single smaller structures underground, like temples, graveyards ect.... Digging by far takes the most time in this game, and if they littered the underground with tiny sites, the game would sort of DF like in the fact you play far longer than the powerscale simply because want to see more stuff

In Terraria, the power scale and content are directly linked right now; there's no real optional areas or additional stuff. That will come with time I'm sure...but they definitely should be looking at that kind of expanded content that isn't falling cleanly into the progression of "Surface, underground, deep underground, corruption, hell, dungeon --> islands, jungle."

I've still got stuff to do SP, worlds to make pretty and stuff to build underground. I'm just hoping the content updates keep pace. I have absolutely no problem with making a lot of new characters and starting over to see new content updates. And despite how nice it is to have a character that goes to any world, I think it's actually a design decision they should have avoided. The worlds are the real characters in this game.

On PvP,  I wouldn't get too worked up making rules just yet. I think they realize they need CTF as one of the first updates so PvP has a point and has some structure, and it will be coming soon. Ish.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 18, 2011, 06:21:30 pm »

Is there any other way to remove the dirt background underground besides starting from above ground and chipping away at it from there?

Tried it. Won't work.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: May 18, 2011, 06:22:49 pm »

Yeah, dynamite and bombs work wonders and getting rid of the backwall. Deeper, where the walls seem to have rocks in them, you should be able to place different back-walls without much trouble.

PSUEDOEDIT
-derp-

Tried it. Won't work.
You need to start from the top.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: May 18, 2011, 06:24:02 pm »

He did specify without starting from top though.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: May 18, 2011, 06:24:34 pm »

He did specify without starting from top though.
Ah. Well I don't think there's a different way.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: May 18, 2011, 06:25:44 pm »

I can start from the top, but it would take forever with my current hammer of copperyness.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: May 18, 2011, 06:25:54 pm »

It works in corruption. Where the corruption backdrop meets the dirt backdrop (like when corruption gets generated through a cave system), using dynamite at the place where they meet is considered an edge and it will all be exploded.

It's kind of clunky but it sort of makes sense from the game's perspective. The dirt layer is the only real environmental backwall in the game. It wouldn't make sense to blast holes straight through the side of the hill...you have to smash down that hill from the top.

That said, it's one of the more confusing parts of the building rules in game and it's not something you easily figure out for yourself.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: May 18, 2011, 06:29:28 pm »

MOTHERFUCKING SKELETRON!

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: May 18, 2011, 06:39:04 pm »

I can start from the top, but it would take forever with my current hammer of copperyness.
You could also start from the bottom, presumably.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: May 18, 2011, 06:51:03 pm »

"Hey, where's the merchant?"

On Aperience's server. Fun times! I tunneled into the jungle with silver armor and an enchanted boomerang :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: May 18, 2011, 06:59:05 pm »

Two questions:

It looks a lot like Minecraft...except 2D. Was it inspired by it or something?

and what is corruption? I see something about it in the FAQ and people discussing it, but I don't get what it is supposed to be.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: May 18, 2011, 07:02:39 pm »

Corruption is like a blight. It corrupts the ground and stone, as well as spawns unique mobs. It also spreads to nearby land.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: May 18, 2011, 07:04:39 pm »

It looks a lot like Minecraft...except 2D. Was it inspired by it or something?

It took some elements from MC, no doubt! I feel minecraft was one inspiration, but the gameplay feels totally different. More actiony, like you want to fight bosses and giant skeletal worms and such. So although it did puch some things up from the world of MC, there are other things it got from all sort of places.
and what is corruption? I see something about it in the FAQ and people discussing it, but I don't get what it is supposed to be.

You know the DF sinister biome. Terraria version of that.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: May 18, 2011, 07:06:24 pm »

...This looks really awesome. Probably gonna have to buy this xD

It says that you can get items from the corruption to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can you do this...say in a nice house another person built? Or at least close enough to cause them some trouble? Because if so that would make me very happy.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 887