Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1254379 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - It's out! And there's a 4 pack
« Reply #2400 on: May 28, 2011, 12:35:37 pm »

But still even with a dynamic IP learning how to do it the right way is still a good idea.   And many of the folks that do know how to do such things refuse to use hamachi (or something similar) to connect to somebody.

I won't connect to a hamachi network myself.  It's too much hassle to install the program, only to remove it again when finished.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: May 28, 2011, 12:38:56 pm »

It's too much hassle to install the program, only to remove it again when finished.

Objection. Installation took 2 minutes for me, joining/making networks takes 10 seconds at most.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: May 28, 2011, 12:40:39 pm »

I don't see the point in hamachi, other than piracy, when the in game methods work just fine. I'm playing with a guy currently with a dynamic IP, and that doesn't stop him from using whatismyip.com when I need to connect.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: May 28, 2011, 12:50:57 pm »

Ebonstone spawn the eater of souls. I don't know if tey also cause devourers to spawn. Corruption does not spread because of the stones howeverr.

Q for you
:I cannot join my own server by using my own IP. Does the porting on 77777 actually means anything or am I doing something wrong?
You've got an extra 7 there. default is only 4 sevens.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: May 28, 2011, 01:04:16 pm »

To join your own server, as well, all you need to do is type localhost and it will resolve your IP, assuming the server is hosting from the same PC or network as the game client.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: May 28, 2011, 01:05:35 pm »

2 minutes to uninstall as well 

It's still a number of extra steps necessary every time you want to use it, unless you keep it installed all the time, and then it's another program silently running on startup and always on, and a new network device that often interferes with a normal connection that isn't immediately obvious. If you had hamachi installed while trying to host a terraria server via IP about a week ago hamachi would conflict with your actual network and prevent somebody from connecting to you, even when hamachi itself was "off".

Hamachi isn't necessarily bad, there are legitimate reasons to use it.   But when it is actually causing folks to feel that there is no need to actually learn to use the basic functions of their routers(not even the more complex stuff mind you, the basics) and other such equipment, because they can just create a virtual lan through hamachi for everything.  It irks me a bit.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 01:07:44 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: May 28, 2011, 01:20:04 pm »

Port Forwarding...? That took what, ten minutes of my time? All it takes is portforward.com, knowledge of what make your router is (Should say on it), and the ability to hit those square buttons in front of you.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: May 28, 2011, 01:24:31 pm »

Why would I attempt the snake pit of network communications when I'm lazy and I have something else to do it for me? I almost never host, and when I do, I prefer it to be simple and easy. Regardless of how easy people have found port forwarding to be, Hamachi is undoubtedly easier. :P

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: May 28, 2011, 01:24:56 pm »

Port Forwarding...? That took what, ten minutes of my time? All it takes is portforward.com, knowledge of what make your router is (Should say on it), and the ability to hit those square buttons in front of you.
And not even that once you know where in your router's config the port forwarding page is. go there, add the port, click the button. Done.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: May 28, 2011, 01:28:38 pm »

Why would I attempt the snake pit of network communications when I'm lazy and I have something else to do it for me? I almost never host, and when I do, I prefer it to be simple and easy. Regardless of how easy people have found port forwarding to be, Hamachi is undoubtedly easier. :P
Why should I attempt the snake pit of kinda funky program design when I'm lazy and know the simple straightforward system for it's purpose? I never host, but when I connect to other hosts I like it to be simple and easy. Regardless to how easy some people have found Hamachi to be, knowing port-forwarding is undoubtedly easier.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: May 28, 2011, 01:33:23 pm »

Actually I'm sorry I brought it up, completely my bad, anyway maybe we should get back on topic before Toady or Threetoe end up being called in here to moderate a Terraria thread for a third time.

I guess Hamachi is like politics and religion.  Never speak of them unless you wanna start a fight.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: May 28, 2011, 01:38:41 pm »

Right now I am trying to find a floating island, but have no idea how far up they are, so I am basically just making a giant bridge in a  straight line.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: May 28, 2011, 01:40:46 pm »

Right now I am trying to find a floating island, but have no idea how far up they are, so I am basically just making a giant bridge in a  straight line.

I was lucky enough to get the Three items I needed from the Three Floating Islands I found.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: May 28, 2011, 01:46:30 pm »

It turns out the bridge is also useful for collecting stars I found like 7 on it already, and this is the first night.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2414 on: May 28, 2011, 01:46:42 pm »

I was lucky enough to get the Three items I needed from the Three Floating Islands I found.
In a MP game my brother and I held, we measured the average distance between floating isles. A good note to keep in mind if you find one: the average distance between each one is 1200 feet.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 887