Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261674 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #6780 on: December 07, 2011, 01:32:10 pm »

It makes sense. Perhaps the defenders of the world are stagnant and apathetic now, the goblins only decided to act when you were already strong, or too strong.

Similar to the eye, the eye was put there to watch your progress...

EoC is an active hunter and very first guardian - he tries to pinpoint your location, and when he does and tries to destroy you, you get that 'evil presence watching you' message...
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6781 on: December 07, 2011, 01:36:36 pm »

Yes! I finally beat the wall of flesh! I got a zealous laser rifle and a godly pwnhammer.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6782 on: December 07, 2011, 01:38:51 pm »

It makes sense. Perhaps the defenders of the world are stagnant and apathetic now, the goblins only decided to act when you were already strong, or too strong.

Similar to the eye, the eye was put there to watch your progress...

EoC is an active hunter and very first guardian - he tries to pinpoint your location, and when he does and tries to destroy you, you get that 'evil presence watching you' message...

To me both EoW and EoC represent the inherant corruption and degredation of the world. EoW being the many creatures that are slowly destroying the world.

EoC being a minion of a much more powerful and I bet never appearing creature.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6783 on: December 07, 2011, 01:44:22 pm »

Hehe I also don't have much explanation for the hallow. Perhaps the forces of the hallow would prefer the world in it's original form but as soon as the barrier goes down, it feels that the only way to counter it's mortal enemy the corruption is to take over the word for itself.  Preferring the world as it is, but doing what it must irrevocably to stop the corruption once it feels it must act.

Also keep in mind that I haven't actually beaten the WoF myself yet either, jut going by what I heard :P
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6784 on: December 07, 2011, 01:50:20 pm »

Hehe I also don't have much explanation for the hallow. Perhaps the forces of the hallow would prefer the world in it's original form but as soon as the barrier goes down, it feels that the only way to counter it's mortal enemy the corruption is to take over the word for itself.  Preferring the world as it is, but doing what it must irrevocably to stop the corruption once it feels it must act.

Also keep in mind that I haven't actually beaten the WoF myself yet either, jut going by what I heard :P

Well remember Hallow isn't a purified world. It is as alien as corruption is.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6785 on: December 07, 2011, 01:51:01 pm »

There was no hallow pre-wall though, only corruption... Which could mean that the wall actually keeps Hallow from appearing, and is the cause of the original corruption.

The appearance of Hallow however brings more magic into the world which makes the corruption stronger too, because the weights must be close to a balance.

So don't tell that WE cause that. Of course we mine the world as we want and re-shape it, but the corruption and the hallow is something the player is not a reason of.

Of course your scenario works too :). In both cases we are looking at a post-apocalyptic battle which was definitely brought by player actions. Nothing tells though that it SHOULDN'T be done, because in another scenario (without players) it could happen that corruption would overtake the world eventually, so it's a necessary "revolution".

P.S. Also while everything is hostile in the world, you can't NOT notice angelic vs demonic nature of events, so the devs might or may not have a plot in their minds; I think they just took a popular theme for an arcade game.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6786 on: December 07, 2011, 01:55:04 pm »

Yeah I figured there likely wasn't any real story they had in mind.

Really I knew as soon as not only they had something called the "Eye of Cthluhu" but "Skeletor" as well told me that... it pretty much was a mish mash.

I wouldn't be surprised if they included aliens in flying saucers at one point who shoot beams that turn the normal monsters into more powerful alien monsters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6787 on: December 07, 2011, 01:59:41 pm »

Somebody should write a fanfic about this non-existent backstory.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6788 on: December 07, 2011, 02:03:11 pm »

Ehn... if the wall had anything at all to do with the hallow, then you'd either be unable to use hallowed seeds and holy water prewall, or the hallow biome wouldn't spread, which isn't the case.

I'd say it'd be pretty hard to see the wall of flesh as anything approaching good, though. It's either a soul eater or a prison for souls, as killing it releases the souls of light and darkness into the world again. Indicating that post-wall is probably the natural state of the world, or at least closer to natural.

The wall's definitely connected to the corruption, though. The demon altars can't be uprooted before the wall dies.

My real question, though, is if players dying in the underground hallow or corruption can spawn a soul of light/night. If not, it's a really strong indicator that the player has no soul :P Especially if NPC deaths down there can drop 'em. Of course, if the npcs don't drop souls either, well. It'd say something interesting about the humans in the game, especially as th'undead are apparently souled.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6789 on: December 07, 2011, 02:05:42 pm »

My real question, though, is if players dying in the underground hallow or corruption can spawn a soul of light/night. If not, it's a really strong indicator that the player has no soul :P Especially if NPC deaths down there can drop 'em. Of course, if the npcs don't drop souls either, well. It'd say something interesting about the humans in the game, especially as th'undead are apparently souled.

Or maybe creatures gain souls of light/night through continued exposure to hallowed/corrupt biomes, and they aren't really souls at all.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6790 on: December 07, 2011, 02:09:25 pm »

Ehn... if the wall had anything at all to do with the hallow, then you'd either be unable to use hallowed seeds and holy water prewall, or the hallow biome wouldn't spread, which isn't the case.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that hallow creatures dont appears until you kill the wall.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6791 on: December 07, 2011, 02:14:32 pm »

The creatures, no. The biome itself (the grass, etc.) spreads just fine.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6792 on: December 07, 2011, 02:16:02 pm »

The creatures, no. The biome itself (the grass, etc.) spreads just fine.

But, canonically, you don't have access to holy water/hallowed seeds pre-wall, so our fanfic-y theory of 'The Wall' still stands :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6793 on: December 07, 2011, 02:19:10 pm »

It can spread, but it isnt "powered". The wall is still up and as such it cant get any energy to spawn creatures.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6794 on: December 07, 2011, 02:22:50 pm »

Well I wasn't thinking along the lines of the Wall of Flesh actively stopping it in the world once it's there, but that the wall of flesh simply maintains the barrier.  It doesn't care about anything getting through per say, it just wants to maintain the barrier.  There could be hollow and corruption running rampant in the world already, it doesn't care as long as it's happy little barrier is still intact. 

Hell, with that it doesn't even need to be intelligent either, just responding to a stimulus (that is a hole in the wall) keeping stuff out could just be a side effect.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 887