Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261123 times)

scout890

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm finding it hard to care about anything anymore
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #6795 on: December 07, 2011, 02:24:39 pm »

Where does the guide fit in all this? What with his death summoning the wall.
nothing

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6796 on: December 07, 2011, 02:30:28 pm »

Where does the guide fit in all this? What with his death summoning the wall.

He is the hidden switch and ultimate sacrifice. The key embedded in the soul of innocent helpful man!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6797 on: December 07, 2011, 02:33:29 pm »

Guide could be a force preventing the player from seeing the true nature of things.  Aiding the player, but at the same time keeping certain details from you.  The guide knows that the shadow orbs will do no real harm to the barrier, there aren't enough of them to do any real harm to it.  Maybe even thinking getting rid of them could restore the damaged areas, or just that knowing no real harm will come of it feels the items inside are worth it.

The wall of flesh on the other hand is dangerous.  If the player decided to randomly kill it like everything else, bad shit will go down, and if the wall saw the player it might try to kill them 'defending it's territory' so he hides the wall from the player using his power, and at the same time hides the player from the wall.  When he dies, that is dispelled, and all hell breaks loose.

The guide is the only thing around when the player first arrives.  Guy could be lonely and want to help the newcomer, but at the same time have a duty to protect the integrity of things.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 02:35:09 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6798 on: December 07, 2011, 02:36:12 pm »

Well I wasn't thinking along the lines of the Wall of Flesh actively stopping it in the world once it's there, but that the wall of flesh simply maintains the barrier.  It doesn't care about anything getting through per say, it just wants to maintain the barrier.  There could be hollow and corruption running rampant in the world already, it doesn't care as long as it's happy little barrier is still intact. 

Hell, with that it doesn't even need to be intelligent either, just responding to a stimulus (that is a hole in the wall) keeping stuff out could just be a side effect.
Maybe all the worlds were built by someone. They left all their stuff lying around when they went somewhere else.

The worlds have automated defenses against intruders. During the day you are allowed to be on the surface, but the night has zombies as a "hint", and the deeper you go the harder the defenses get. The guide is a hacked defense system, who is supposed to tell us to leave, so if we destroy it in the underworld, then the defense system goes bonkers and tries to directly attack you.

And we, we are travellers who can jump from world to world. Destroying the places we travel to, stripping them of resources and then going to the next one.

EDIT: I like the idea of the guide being a 3rd(or whateverth) side though.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6799 on: December 07, 2011, 02:38:28 pm »

The Guide is an avatar of the power opposing the one which created the wall, and the different NPCs fill the same role for its allies; they are all using these seemingly human disguises to trick you into releasing both the Hallow and the Corruption. The EoC, WoF, hardmode bosses, and 'possessed' old man are all allies of the creator of the wall attempting to stop you, and the goblins, demons, and undead defending the dungeon are all mortal allies of the same power. When you 'release' the old man from the 'curse', you are actually damaging the spirit of the power that created it/him to such a degree that one of the powers attempting to break the wall is able to mindrape it and use its avatar as its own.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6800 on: December 07, 2011, 06:21:39 pm »

If you're an almighty god and the NPCs are really just regular humans, then what does that make them? Cultists worshiping an avatar of destruction? Regular folk who decided that even following someone as evil as you would be better than what would happen if the world was left alone? Where do the NPCs come from anyway?

And I don't think this explains why the dryad asks you to purify stuff, if she's siding with a force that wants to unleash corruption. This might show some dissidence among the great powers, with different members working toward different agendas, shown with the dryad opposing corruption but seeming indifferent (possibly supporting?) the hallow.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6801 on: December 07, 2011, 06:27:17 pm »

And I don't think this explains why the dryad asks you to purify stuff, if she's siding with a force that wants to unleash corruption.
Think about it. What would an evil cultist mean with "purify"?

Yeah.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6802 on: December 07, 2011, 06:30:49 pm »

Oh great bay12games forums, where some silly NPCs in an arcade made by some developers suddenly become a power of world destruction... :D

And I don't think this explains why the dryad asks you to purify stuff, if she's siding with a force that wants to unleash corruption.

Yeah.
She asks just to remove corruption which spawns those multi-eyed monsters made of rotten meat.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6803 on: December 07, 2011, 06:33:00 pm »

Yeah.
She is allied with the alien forces of the Hallow which are fighting the corruption even at the expense of your world.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6804 on: December 07, 2011, 06:41:16 pm »

Yeah.
She is allied with the alien forces of the Hallow which are fighting the corruption even at the expense of your world.
Precisely.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6805 on: December 07, 2011, 06:44:59 pm »

For some reason I really like the background we've cooked up here.

Someone quickly link this thread to the devs!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6806 on: December 07, 2011, 06:47:19 pm »

Someone mentioned Iji a while back, and after reading the above stuff it fits even more.

The Corruption is the Tasen; probably showed up just a short while ago, is an overhanging threat until you gear up, and they dedicate their forces towards killing you and anyone assisting you.

Then you kill their leader, and signal another, even more alien force (the Komato/Hallow) that Corruption is on your world. Any hopes that the Hallow is on your side is dashed immediately as both sides set to work remaking your world in their image.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6807 on: December 07, 2011, 07:02:15 pm »

I agree that Hallow does not care about your world, its pure goal is to destroy corruption.

It's like Basium vs Hyborem in Fall From Heaven.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6808 on: December 07, 2011, 07:10:00 pm »

The only problem with that theory being that the hallow doesn't actually destroy the corruption... at all. In fact, the corruption mobs are the only ones capable of overriding their opposed biome. All the hallow can do is consume the previously unspoiled terrain, then sidle up to the corruption and sit there, waving happily.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6809 on: December 07, 2011, 07:15:22 pm »

The only problem with that theory being that the hallow doesn't actually destroy the corruption... at all. In fact, the corruption mobs are the only ones capable of overriding their opposed biome. All the hallow can do is consume the previously unspoiled terrain, then sidle up to the corruption and sit there, waving happily.

Eh. Corruption consumes, Hallowed grows. Hallowed is like....primordial fey magic. It doesn't have a good/evil axis. It just is. Kind of like you fuck with the faeries of old at your own risk. They may help you or they may make you their bitch. Compared to Corruption which is just pure, destructive evil.

As for the Wall....I've been convinced since early on that Eaters, Devourers, the Wall, most of corruption is all one aspect of the same source. Maybe they intend the wall to represent that source, but I wouldn't be surprised to see more forms later on. Like maybe the Eaters are like shed skin, the devourers like hair, and the wall a single finger on its hand.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 07:18:22 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 887