Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261119 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #6885 on: December 09, 2011, 12:30:34 am »

Philosopher's Stones are probably the best thing they drop.  :P

Also, I've found that the best way to look for mimics is to not. Just cruise around your Hallowed caverns collecting souls and you'll run into them occasionally. Just be sure to kill every one you find, because they have a lot of unique drops, so if you're a pathological collector like me, they can be incredibly annoying. Except that I actually got very lucky with drops and only had about 3 duplicate items from them.

IIRC smashing a demon altar without killing the WoF does nothing. And how many altars have you smashed? I broke about 16-20 on my main world, and the three hardmode metals ended up being more common than normal metals, to the point where a random trip to grind for souls would see me leaving with two stacks of adamantite, and not even bothering to mine the others because of how common they are.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6886 on: December 09, 2011, 12:33:32 am »

Huh, I thought Mimics only appeared in hell because they looked like shadow chests. Unless they look different depending on where they are or something. Also I probably won't survive in the underground hallow because I don't have mythril armor or better, but I can't find mythril because, well...

I've only smashed around 10, but I'm on a medium world so you might have more if you're using a large one. Actually, I don't think I've smashed the ones in the other direction. I'll go check those.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6887 on: December 09, 2011, 12:40:37 am »

Mimics reflect their environment.  Wiki is your friend.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6888 on: December 09, 2011, 12:53:11 am »

Huh, I thought Mimics only appeared in hell because they looked like shadow chests. Unless they look different depending on where they are or something. Also I probably won't survive in the underground hallow because I don't have mythril armor or better, but I can't find mythril because, well...

I've only smashed around 10, but I'm on a medium world so you might have more if you're using a large one. Actually, I don't think I've smashed the ones in the other direction. I'll go check those.

I'm in a small one. I actually got all the way to a partial set of adamantite only with what I found exposed in my old digging works, then killed a few bosses, then started searching with Spelunker potions + dynamite.

3. Run Resize Enable

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6889 on: December 09, 2011, 01:00:30 am »

Also, I've found that the best way to look for mimics is to not.

The best way to look for mimics is to power a chest statue.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6890 on: December 09, 2011, 01:08:59 am »

I've been trying to avoid the wiki, because I want to find out as much as I can by myself. Although coming here and asking questions kind of kills that.
Anyway, it turns out I completely missed the altars in the corruption to the right. D-d-d-derp. I think that added another 5-10 to my smash count?

I'm having a bit of trouble with my FPS. When I jump, suddenly I can see through everything and it lags to around 3-5 FPS from 20+. Also, on the surface, my FPS is much lower than in the underground. What could this all mean???

E: Whoops, thanks Urist Imiknorris for telling me about the case of the missing /.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 01:16:49 am by SirAaronIII »
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6891 on: December 09, 2011, 01:11:21 am »

You seem to have forgotten a /. As for the seeing forever, I have no idea, but it occasionally happens to me too.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6892 on: December 09, 2011, 01:18:35 am »

I lag pretty bad underground. Meh. Its just annoying.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #6893 on: December 09, 2011, 01:26:33 am »

Okay, so, just fought skeletron prime with a heart statue hooked up nearby, 30 potions, a regen potion, a thorns potion, a bowl of soup, an ironskin potion and I died halfway through the night having done 10k damage out of his 30k. I was using a clockwork assault rifle. Is it litterally impossible to solo skeletron prime without beating another boss/ building a giant arena for it beforehand, or am I missing something huge? It just seems like on top of dying too quickly I don't do enough damage to kill him before the night rolls over.

I have adamantine armor with the melee helm to boot. I'm sure if I switched to the ranged adamantine helm I wouldn't have the defense to stay alive.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6894 on: December 09, 2011, 01:29:35 am »

Yes, you kind of need an arena if you are going to solo any of the hardmode bosses.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6895 on: December 09, 2011, 01:46:56 am »

Hrm... just curious, but what is a good way to farm Souls? Currently I'm kinda standing in the middle of hell shooting Demon Scythe's at anything that comes near me, just where my Wall of Flesh died... (Happened to be under a Hallowed zone, which I find slightly amusing) And I was wondering if there was any... well, engineered way to do it, rather than just kill things.
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6896 on: December 09, 2011, 01:55:39 am »

You can farm souls of night really easily by farming the Eater of Worlds in deep corruption, but other than that it's just either killing the right things (hardmode bosses and luck dragon) or killing things in the right place (deep hallow/corruption).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6897 on: December 09, 2011, 01:57:42 am »

Hrm... just curious, but what is a good way to farm Souls? Currently I'm kinda standing in the middle of hell shooting Demon Scythe's at anything that comes near me, just where my Wall of Flesh died... (Happened to be under a Hallowed zone, which I find slightly amusing) And I was wondering if there was any... well, engineered way to do it, rather than just kill things.

Light Souls: Go to underground Hallow, start grinding everything that moves. Prepare for CTS.
Night Souls: Get a dozen or so worm food, go to underground Corruption, start farming EoW. Each segment has a chance of dropping a soul.
Flight: Go to sky island, start farming Falcor. You shouldn't need many kills; I've got nearly 200 random flight souls sitting around.
Might: Kill the Destroyer (upgraded EoW)
Fright: Kill Skeletron Prime
Sight: Kill the Twins

Okay, so, just fought skeletron prime with a heart statue hooked up nearby, 30 potions, a regen potion, a thorns potion, a bowl of soup, an ironskin potion and I died halfway through the night having done 10k damage out of his 30k. I was using a clockwork assault rifle. Is it litterally impossible to solo skeletron prime without beating another boss/ building a giant arena for it beforehand, or am I missing something huge? It just seems like on top of dying too quickly I don't do enough damage to kill him before the night rolls over.

I have adamantine armor with the melee helm to boot. I'm sure if I switched to the ranged adamantine helm I wouldn't have the defense to stay alive.

As Rex said, you'll need an arena. I used a skybridge below Falcor spawn levels as it fits (what I consider to be) the best way to solo the hardmode bosses. You'll also want both wings and Spectre boots, which you will use to run laps up and down, dodging at the ends and at rushes. Once you have all that, grind the Destroyer until you  can make a megashark, then make about 2k cursed bullets. Then start farming Skelly Prime until you can make a flamethrower, then set up an automated gel factory. Get about 2k cursed bullets + about 1k gel, adamantite armor with the ranged helmet, and start farming the Twins. Once you get to the point where you've got specre boots, wings, full adamantite, megashark, and a flamethrower, you shouldn't have any trouble soloing the bosses, as long as you learn their tells and how to dodge their attacks. Most of my boss farming has the boss on-screen maybe 1/4 of the time because I'm constantly running away while shooting behind me, because I've learned to tell exactly where each of them will be when I'm running away, based on bullet hit sounds and their noises. The destroyer is much easier: just step out of the way, shoot into it while it passes, and step out of the way again. You often won't even need potions because of how many hearts the probes drop.

Also, why I still play a bit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Out of curiosity, does anyone else always keep ringing the bell until Navi the blue fairy is summoned, every single time?

3. Run Resize Enable

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6898 on: December 09, 2011, 02:00:46 am »

Is there a difference between demon and the other wings, besides materials? Or are they the same? Probably the same, right?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6899 on: December 09, 2011, 02:04:25 am »

The difference is that it's easier to grind souls of night for the demon wings, while the angel wings look better with hallowed armor.

Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 887