Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1254505 times)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #7065 on: December 10, 2011, 10:12:07 pm »

They should have reserved the highest end enchants for random drops
Which would be even worse if you really wanted the best stuff.
The existing slot machine is at least reliably boring, rather than frustratingly grindy that killing bosses and hoping for the right item with the right prefix would drop.
Perhaps a system where using materials for enchanting would have been more fun.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #7066 on: December 10, 2011, 10:16:16 pm »

It'd give you a reason to play large worlds in single player even, if it included metal bars.

Or to mine up metal even after you've made everything out of it and made 600 metal blocks of each type.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7067 on: December 10, 2011, 10:19:28 pm »

Well it's possible to just remake items (specifically thinking about weapons, accessories aren't as cash-intensive) trying for the stats you want. That's spelunking and boss fighting instead of sitting under a fish fountain AFK.

I'd be more sympathetic if the best mods were actually needed, but they aren't. I solo'd the hard mode bosses with a minishark that had +15% knockback and nothing else, because it's what the weapon was made with. The top tier forgings aren't necessary, so you aren't being kept from anything without them, except the ability to say "I have the best mods possible for this weapon." If that's all you really wanted, why not just hack up one of those in the first place?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7068 on: December 10, 2011, 10:30:20 pm »

I think it's because he wanted the reward to require interesting work to get?  That seems to be his entire point, that upgrading your weapons could have been an interesting and involved process.  One that has measurable stages of progress as you reforge your Excalibur to legendary status.  Instead we got a slot machine that uses cash.  And earning money efficiently in Terraria is an incredibly boring process.
This, mixed with a dislike of th'slot machine mechanic that only grows as the years pass -- rage not directed at Terraria specifically, but the mechanic in general. I can't think of a single example where it wasn't either boring or unhealthy, possibly both. One of the reasons I can't stand playing most MMOs for very long :-\

Plus from what I remember, the psych behind it is pretty nasty (reason some people get addicted to slot machines, etc.). That doesn't help.

The top tier forgings aren't necessary, so you aren't being kept from anything without them, except the ability to say "I have the best mods possible for this weapon." If that's all you really wanted, why not just hack up one of those in the first place?
To see how much cash it took to happen :P I probably would just use the invhack to change the item's prefix now, though. Quicker, ha.

I'd already gone through the majority of the game's content without the best prefixes (without particularly good ones at all, really) and wanted to see how it went with 'em. Didn't want to spend weeks to months farming bosses for cash for -- as you note -- a fairly minor feature.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7069 on: December 11, 2011, 01:21:42 am »

Which would be even worse if you really wanted the best stuff.

Let's not delude ourselves into thinking enhancements are even remotely close to necessary. People that are obsessed about 14% increased damage versus 12% are entitled to as much grinding as they can stomach. I'd prefer mystery to "clink, GODLY! Well that was fun."

As if Terraria doesn't have enough of those issues already.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7070 on: December 11, 2011, 01:30:09 am »

I suppose I can get behind the "try gambling for science!" argument, I'd planned to dump enough spare change on things to get 3 reasonably good mods and call it done. I did get Unreal on my flamethrower first reforge though, so that probably spent my luck forever.

Unrelated questions about torches!

I put some Cursed Torches (the underwater kind, i think that's the name) in glass sconces under my cavern fishing lake, and on reloading the world they get removed. Doesn't this defeat part of the purpose of said torches?

Also, my WoF runway has several torches along the length. When I host in multiplayer, the torches disappear. In single, they're back. Is this intended?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7071 on: December 11, 2011, 01:32:54 am »

I thought I could burst through the new content... but nope

I am honestly dreading the grind required to advance through the game at this moment.

It shouldn't be that bad...

Step 1: Get 1000+ Meteor Shots Or Demonshots (I wonder if hell shots have the same effect)
Step 2: Build a Underground bridge from one side of the map to the other.

Either that... or I guess I could Invest in the "break the game cannon"

I guess it depends if I want to do what I am doing in my old game... or my new one.

It would be 1000 times easier in my old one since I already started.

The top tier forgings aren't necessary

A lot of them are combinations of several items that make things a LOT easier.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 01:41:46 am by Neonivek »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7072 on: December 11, 2011, 01:41:37 am »

I was able to do it with some ironskin, water walk, and soup. Used a Night's Edge and a dark lance, went only a couple blocks ahead of it, swinging/stabbing the whole time. Works better with the Night's Edge than with the dark lance on the first time, I think. Actually I don't quite remember. I think that's how I did it? There are probably much easier, less risky ways.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7073 on: December 11, 2011, 01:42:44 am »

The only really bad grind is for Light Souls (and cash if you're obsessed with bonus stats and don't invhack in plat), everything else can be done fairly quickly with the appropriate level of gear. It only took maybe 6 kills of each hardmode boss for more than enough souls to make every endgame item, and maybe 10 hours of play to get all of the new drops. Grinding for Light souls easily took 25-30 hours.

And yes, I invhacked in some stacks of plat to run through the reforge lotto to get everything to legendary/mythical/unreal, because I have a bit of perfectionist in me, but I don't have the time or energy to grind long enough to get that cash. Getting 8 or 9 weapons to their highest tiers, and another 6 or so to Godly took about 500 plat. Yeah, not happening.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7074 on: December 11, 2011, 01:43:51 am »

I was able to do it with some ironskin, water walk, and soup. Used a Night's Edge and a dark lance, went only a couple blocks ahead of it, swinging/stabbing the whole time. Works better with the Night's Edge than with the dark lance on the first time, I think. Actually I don't quite remember. I think that's how I did it? There are probably much easier, less risky ways.

I honestly wouldn't have thought Water walk would work... given... you know... logic.

Wish I didn't keep throwing those away... and making your own would take a lot more grinding from me.

The only really bad grind is for Light Souls

There are worse grinds... but they are for things that they are now throwing at you in chests. (Honestly... I DARE you to make a decent quantity of some potions) So you would never grind the ingrediants for them.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 01:46:01 am by Neonivek »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7075 on: December 11, 2011, 01:44:41 am »

Surprisingly enough, water walk does work on lava. They should call it liquid walk. Or Jesus Mode, but I don't think that's quite appropriate.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7076 on: December 11, 2011, 01:49:31 am »

I think it's because he wanted the reward to require interesting work to get?  That seems to be his entire point, that upgrading your weapons could have been an interesting and involved process.  One that has measurable stages of progress as you reforge your Excalibur to legendary status.  Instead we got a slot machine that uses cash.  And earning money efficiently in Terraria is an incredibly boring process.
This, mixed with a dislike of th'slot machine mechanic that only grows as the years pass -- rage not directed at Terraria specifically, but the mechanic in general. I can't think of a single example where it wasn't either boring or unhealthy, possibly both. One of the reasons I can't stand playing most MMOs for very long :-\

Plus from what I remember, the psych behind it is pretty nasty (reason some people get addicted to slot machines, etc.). That doesn't help.

The top tier forgings aren't necessary, so you aren't being kept from anything without them, except the ability to say "I have the best mods possible for this weapon." If that's all you really wanted, why not just hack up one of those in the first place?
To see how much cash it took to happen :P I probably would just use the invhack to change the item's prefix now, though. Quicker, ha.

I'd already gone through the majority of the game's content without the best prefixes (without particularly good ones at all, really) and wanted to see how it went with 'em. Didn't want to spend weeks to months farming bosses for cash for -- as you note -- a fairly minor feature.

Ah, yes, the good old Skinner box. Press a button, maybe get a treat, maybe not. It's the same reason people get addicted to subjectively terrible games like Farmville - they get conditioned, psychologically, into pressing the button and hoping for a reward - even when they aren't having any fun pushing the damn button. When you play a game and do something because you have to, not because you want, there's something wrong with that game.

Note: I know that in most single-player games, you have to kill the X or save the Y to progress, but that's because you have to do it to progress further into the game - which you generally want to do. What I'm talking about is when you're out having fun and you have to check on your virtual crops and so forth, and not because you actually want to, actually enjoy mindlessly collecting the random drops from virtual wheat.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7077 on: December 11, 2011, 01:51:04 am »

I always assumed the "reforge" thing was there... JUST so people who have been playing before the update don't have to get their ultimate weapon all over again just to have a status effect.

Unfortunately I don't have the money for it... I don't spend as much time grinding in the game as everyone else does... Though if I did I'd probably chose the dungeon perhaps.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #7078 on: December 11, 2011, 01:53:40 am »

I never even saw the big apparent grind getting money. By the time I got into hard mode I had several platinum and it only grew and grew. Even after rolling all my accessory's into warding for extra defense and a few weapons I use to squeeze more effectiveness out of them I've probably spent less than 13 out of 77 platinum I saved up over time.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7079 on: December 11, 2011, 01:54:55 am »

I never even saw the big apparent grind getting money. By the time I got into hard mode I had several platinum and it only grew and grew. Even after rolling all my accessory's into warding for extra defense and a few weapons I use to squeeze more effectiveness out of them I've probably spent less than 13 out of 77 platinum I saved up over time.

It is because of your playing style. It naturally would have involved a lot of killing.

I kill very sparingly and treat an endless hoard of enemies as a reason to speed up rather then slow down.

Thus I earn little cash.

Though it could just be that I keep spending it on ammo and potions.

Also 77 platinum? 7700 gold?... Given that my runs tend to be that I earn 1 gold every 10 minutes of play. that would take me... 7700, 770000 silver, /10 77000 series of 10 minutes... wow... days straight of playing. WOO!

So there must be something I am not doing to earn money that everyone else is... Either that or you guys play a lot longer or less focused then I do. (though I bet you don't sell almost ANYTHING just like me, so I doubt it)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 01:59:48 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 887