Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261278 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #7455 on: December 18, 2011, 04:51:53 am »

I'm speaking off pure conjecture, but I've seen other games that introduce temporary content and then remove it.  Terraria isn't "other games" so I have no idea how they'll handle it, but I wouldn't be shocked to see a sudden nerf and/or withdrawal.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #7456 on: December 18, 2011, 07:50:13 am »

It also shoots faster, overall.  I've got a rapid clockwork assault rifle.  It is the most dakka available in Terraria.  I loves it so much.  Dakkadak dakkadak dakkadak!  Bloodmoons burn so much ammo, though.
I beg to differ! Megashark provides incredible amounts of dakka (same base damage as phoenix blaster, FASTER rate of fire than minishark, the OWKZ would be proud!), and it allowed me to kill an EoC with a grand total of 54 expended silver boolits (in melee addy armor). The only thing that could possibly out-dakka a megashark would be a star cannon, though it shoots stars rather than boolits. Or an Unreal Megashark, which would out-dakka all other megasharks. I really need to reforge mine to be Unreal, so i can have ALL the dakka.

That said though, the assault rifle does have that unique appeal. Something about that burst-fire just makes it insanely cool.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7457 on: December 18, 2011, 08:13:01 am »

The Assault Rifle is practical in terms of ammo efficiency, since 1 bullet = 3 shots, and if each burst from the Assault Rifle was compared to one shot from the Megashark, then the Assault Rifle outdamages the Megashark per shot, especially with crystal bullets.

The Assault Rifle is however, abyssmal in terms of speed, and it will take almost a whole night trying to kill Skeletron Prime with it.

An Unreal Megashark is easy mode for everything against it, as it tears absolutely everything into shreds, with it's impressive speed and damage output. But the 50% chance to not use ammo is kind of unwieldy, usually consuming more ammo than an Assault Rifle when fighting bosses, although if you're lucky (and wearing ammo preserving equipment), you might end up using less ammo than the Assault Rifle.

Still, it's all up to preference. Do you want stability? Or is strength a more better choice for you?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7458 on: December 18, 2011, 08:24:38 am »

But the 50% chance to not use ammo
ranger armor for another 20-25%

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7459 on: December 18, 2011, 09:20:13 am »

In games like this there is a ton of abuse one can do with mining and building. Not much the devs can do about that without recycling the flying/digging enemies a million times like with the bosses.

One mammoth boss that could damage the terrain would be alright.

You never met the clowns i presume. They use explosives, but i think they only appear on post-wall bloodmoons or something.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7460 on: December 18, 2011, 09:21:36 am »

In games like this there is a ton of abuse one can do with mining and building. Not much the devs can do about that without recycling the flying/digging enemies a million times like with the bosses.

One mammoth boss that could damage the terrain would be alright.

You never met the clowns i presume. They use explosives, but i think they only appear on post-wall bloodmoons or something.
They're complete dicks who will wreck your shit though.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #7461 on: December 18, 2011, 09:22:19 am »

Or is strength a more better choice for you?
'O NEEDS STABILITY WEN YA KAN 'AVE MORE DAKKA? In other words, Megashark DPS > Assault rifle DPS. It's not a huge difference in ammo consumption, and a megashark with crystal bullets is downright terrifying. That said though, assault rifle is way easier to get (you just have to get lucky with Wally), and is absolutely not a bad weapon either. I just like the megashark more. :U
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7462 on: December 19, 2011, 12:06:44 am »

Actually, the assault rifle fires the most bullets of any gun.  It's got a base use time of 11, but fires 3 bullets per burst.  So it's got an average use time of 3.66... compared to a Megashark's use time of 6.  The Megashark isn't even more powerful in raw DPS, but most hard mode mobs have enough armor that the assault rifle's damage falls off too much.

The Rapid version of the assault rifle has an incredible +17% speed.  So the Rapid assault rifle has a use time of 9.13 (or 9, or 10, depending on rounding specifics).  That averages out somewhere between 3 and 3.33... use time per bullet.  But you give up on any damage bonus or crit bonus when you use the rapid prefix.  So the (Unreal) Megashark remains the highest DPS bullet shooter.  (Star Cannon doesn't shoot bullets, and therefore doesn't count as dakka.)

TLDR:  Megashark is the best dakka, but the Clockwork Assault Rifle is the most dakka.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7463 on: December 19, 2011, 12:34:53 am »

Just killed Skeletron Prime with a Megashark and crystal bullets. He was really easy compared to the Destroyer.

And now I have a flamethrower awww yeaah
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #7464 on: December 19, 2011, 12:52:17 am »

Actually, the assault rifle fires the most bullets of any gun.  It's got a base use time of 11, but fires 3 bullets per burst.  So it's got an average use time of 3.66... compared to a Megashark's use time of 6.  The Megashark isn't even more powerful in raw DPS, but most hard mode mobs have enough armor that the assault rifle's damage falls off too much.

The Rapid version of the assault rifle has an incredible +17% speed.  So the Rapid assault rifle has a use time of 9.13 (or 9, or 10, depending on rounding specifics).  That averages out somewhere between 3 and 3.33... use time per bullet.  But you give up on any damage bonus or crit bonus when you use the rapid prefix.  So the (Unreal) Megashark remains the highest DPS bullet shooter.  (Star Cannon doesn't shoot bullets, and therefore doesn't count as dakka.)

TLDR:  Megashark is the best dakka, but the Clockwork Assault Rifle is the most dakka.

Actually the shotgun uses one bullet for five shots, unless you took that into account. :P

Prolly too slow to match up anyway but.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7465 on: December 19, 2011, 01:03:39 am »

Actually, the shotgun shoots only 4 bullets per shot.

And while I'm still agreeing with my post that the CWAR deals more damage per shot of a Megashark, the Megashark is ultimately infinitely better than CWAR because of it's Damage per second.

But I find that I need to stockpile more ammo if I'm using the Megashark, due to it's 50% chance of not using ammo, so I say that when you're not out to kill boss things, CWAR is better.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7466 on: December 19, 2011, 03:25:46 am »

I still haven't killed skeletron normal. :(

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7467 on: December 19, 2011, 04:29:02 am »

If you can easily kill the Eater of Worlds for Demonite ore, do so, and sell those ores, as they're worth at least 5 - 6 gold per full stack. Then, buy a minishark (40 gold) and some bullets from the arms dealer, and you're set.

If you don't have the time to do that, flails (and the harpoon) work well against him, as well as the thorn chakram and magic boomerang.

If you don't want to farm worm food, but you have the time, and a nightmare pick, you should go to hell and mine hellstone, to make a molten pickaxe, and upgrade the magic boomerang into the flamarang, make molten fury, or if you have a pistol (found inside skeletron's dungeon), upgrade that into the phoenix blaster.

Of course, you should only face him when you have Shadow tier armor or better, and at least have Cloud in a bottle and other accessories, like defense boosting shackles (although if you get better accessories than that, go for it).

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #7468 on: December 19, 2011, 04:44:01 am »

I got an armored CIAB (+3 def). It's pretty damn good when you put it next to my iron armor :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7469 on: December 19, 2011, 04:46:51 am »

As per usual boss battles, preparations still apply.  Make your arena ready before trying a real fight, the dungeon roof is often preferred for the ease of flattening, but I often get lucky with deserts in front of my dungeon (or is that a feature?) so I just clear out like 1,000 sand blocks to get it flat and that gives you a ton of running room.  For simplicity's sake, you can also run wooden platforms above the terrain to get things flat and simple without much terraforming.

If you have the resources, meteor shot is pretty lethal, and silver bullets aren't bad if you've got the cash + blood moon.  Then, if you've got a blood moon you should by out a TON of vile powder to make a lot of worm food and farm demonite ore.  I specifically built an arena above a demon altar with a piggy bank and furnace, so I can go in with a dozen worm food, farm EoW, smelt to bars, toss the bars in the piggy bank, and then run back to sell it all.  Or move a less-useful merchant over to the arena, like the merchant or dryad that don't get used a whole lot.  Bars and ore sell at the same cost, you don't lose money by smelting, but it makes it easier to sell whole chunks for like 35 gold per stack!
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 887