Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 512 513 [514] 515 516 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1254440 times)

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #7695 on: December 24, 2011, 06:17:41 am »

Based on my experience, laptop overheating is usually caused by dust. I haven't seen a laptop where cleaning with compressed air doesn't drop the temperature by twenty celcius. As a note to anyone trying it, if compressed air isn't available I'd recommend against using anything that isn't meant for cleaning computers without asking an expert first. Also, opening the case isn't needed, blowing through the vents is enough.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7696 on: December 24, 2011, 07:24:03 am »

I gave away my 4-pack long ago, sorry :(
:'(
Anyone else?
Sends me your steam name.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7697 on: December 24, 2011, 11:07:52 am »

Finally beat WoF on a friends world with them.  After the first fail (friend's bridge was maybe a screen long) I grabbed my pheonix blaster from my home world and used up around 2k worth of candy cane block covering up every open lava pit til I ran out of blocks.  Still had to jump and climb and such, but didn't need to worry about a magmaey death.

It was absolute overkill.  Didn't even get to the point where I had started using green blocks and the phoenix blaster with meteor shot absolutely destroyed him.  I think my buddy was using a nightmare bow with jester and hellfire arrows.  Just the act of us jumping over the obstacles and terrain made most of his stuff miss.

Also his hallow and corruption does not appear to actually be spreading.  The surface hallow appears to be locked into a huge chunk of pre wall corruption, and the new corruption line is locked in with the mud from his jungle.  The pre wall corruption dosn't appear to be spreading, and the new stuff dosn't appear to be spreading underground.

It's odd, and it appears to be making the world significantly easier than advertised.  Biggest trouble we are having are ground level Falcor on top of a hill near his fort.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7698 on: December 24, 2011, 11:13:35 am »

After hardmode starts, the corruption can turn mud into dirt, and then spread over that.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7699 on: December 24, 2011, 11:17:22 am »

Well that gives me some hope for that then.  Still does it just spread really slowly?  I Kinda expected the whole world to be borked by the time we climbed back to the surface.  But other than some new corruption in the jungle we could barely tell was there and a big swath of hallow in the middle of his EoW arena we haven't seen anything different.

In fact the origonal corruption we had locked in with stone still appears to be locked in.  It turned the stone into ebonstone, but it still isn't moving beyond it.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7700 on: December 24, 2011, 11:20:33 am »

Well that gives me some hope for that then.  Still does it just spread really slowly?  I Kinda expected the whole world to be borked by the time we climbed back to the surface.  But other than some new corruption in the jungle we could barely tell was there and a big swath of hallow in the middle of his EoW arena we haven't seen anything different.

In fact the origonal corruption we had locked in with stone still appears to be locked in.  It turned the stone into ebonstone, but it still isn't moving beyond it.

I believe it turns nearby blocks randomly, not in a '+1 thickness' wave every 5 minutes or so.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7701 on: December 24, 2011, 11:21:24 am »

I Kinda expected the whole world to be borked by the time we climbed back to the surface.
Yeah, you are thinking too fast. It'll take ingame days for it to make any significant spread. And many people underestimate how much it spreads underground through caves.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7702 on: December 24, 2011, 11:32:34 am »

I Kinda expected the whole world to be borked by the time we climbed back to the surface.
Yeah, you are thinking too fast. It'll take ingame days for it to make any significant spread. And many people underestimate how much it spreads underground through caves.

This. You'll get your total abovegroud corruption/hallow plains... once the caves are infected with their very block-corrupting essence. I recommend you take the initiative to convert 2 deserts into a corrupt one and the other into a hallow one before the game gets the opportunity to infect them.

And I also recommend turning a larger portion of the underground into a hallow one as soon as possible, as it seems that the underground corruption generated post-wall is much, much larger than the underhallow.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7703 on: December 24, 2011, 01:09:44 pm »

Anyone got the blueprints for a good-soul-harvesting trap?

I've tried making one, but 67 dart traps can't kill the meteor heads before they get in range of me...
Everybody!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7704 on: December 24, 2011, 01:50:40 pm »

Eff the meteor heads, bunny/goldfish traps are where the souls at (only during bloodmoon). Make a crab-operated control room, but keep it tight, or at least 2x2 with active stone gates 1x1 thick, since to make the crabs jump, you need an opening. If done properly, it should make the soul harvesting fast, and add at least 3 goldfish/bunny statues in a small chamber with lava flooring. Once those corrupted creatures land on the lava, they'll be spitting souls in no time.

When in doubt of the crab control room's blueprint, go see Repulsion's house in Kael's server and check the gel spawner.

But the meteor heads are a good alternative when there isn't a bloodmoon at night, so just prepare the machine, and keep the meteor head spawner at the same time.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7705 on: December 24, 2011, 01:51:14 pm »

Anyone got the blueprints for a good-soul-harvesting trap?

I've tried making one, but 67 dart traps can't kill the meteor heads before they get in range of me...

Go to hell.

I mean, go to the underworld, and place a few biome-relevant blocks (place some normal stone just to check that it's getting infected). I think you're supposed to do it direcly bellow the actual corruption. Anyway, once enough corruption is there, all the hell monsters will start dropping the souls, and they're a lot easier to kill and probably the most numerous.

EDIT: I mean either corruption or hallow, BTW.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 03:30:46 pm by Sergius »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7706 on: December 24, 2011, 01:58:24 pm »

Note you can use bunny spawners without a bloodmoon via vile powder. It sorta hangs in the air for a second, so multiple bunnies spawn, get corrupt, and subsequently die in a fraction of a second.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7707 on: December 24, 2011, 01:59:41 pm »

For Souls of Night:

1. Make ~10 Worm Food
2. Go to undercorruption
3. Summon EoW repeatedly.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7708 on: December 24, 2011, 02:03:37 pm »

Yeah, but the powder isn't automatic...

I've almost got it down. I'll need another timer to get half of tem to go a second after another (I made a one-block gap between traps as heads are big enough) and about 5 more traps.

Basicallt there'll be enough darts to ruin them.

Thing is, I got plenty enough souls whilst actually building the damn thing (Note: Don'tmake the meteor biome before trying to build a fairly intricate trap sysem whilst in an enclosed space)

These are light i'm harvesting, I already using the Eater trick.

Thanks for the advice though.
Everybody!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7709 on: December 24, 2011, 02:30:13 pm »

I know you guys said Redigit is a pretty horrid programmer, but this is a bit ridiculous. I can leave Skyrim on all day with no problems. However, after two or three hours of Terraria, my laptop enters hibernation mode. On powering back on, it informs me that it just overheated.

I'm off to turn off all flashy bits. I may pull another marathon tomorrow to see if that helps.

Perhaps you don't have vsync turned on for Terraria. Try turning it on (if it's not in Terraria's options menu (it probably isn't)) use your graphics card's own control panel to force it on. It should keep Terraria from trying to do ludicrous numbers of frames per second and overheating stuff, if that was the cause.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 512 513 [514] 515 516 ... 887