Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1254548 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #8925 on: September 11, 2012, 08:59:16 pm »

I actually didn't mind that much when Red quit. I demo'd the game and found it a worthy purchase, and I do feel like I got my money's worth.

But promising wild things that you don't even bother excusing why you didn't deliver.... that's some Dan Brown shit right there, IMO.

I wouldn't have minded it at ALL if they just said "Well, we thought about it and we sort of grew up and realised that what we offered wasn't actually possible, so we just set out to perfect what we already had" I would have been totally fine. In fact I am pretty sure that is exactly what happened, they found out their motivation and ideas were not at the levels required to pull it off.

It is why I am mad at Peter for Black and White 2. I know how it developed was ENTIRELY not his fault and even I know when he talks out of his butt sometimes. but what I actually blame him for was the video he released when the game was finished which was basically him pretending the game was great.

But no... they say nothing the Terraria team. Essentially a "Ha ha ha we took your money" moment.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8926 on: September 11, 2012, 09:40:37 pm »

I think the problem is they built everyone's expectations, not whether the stuff planned was great or not, but that it was going to basically go the same way as Minecraft with the constant (even if tiny) updates and support. If, from the start, someone sells you a game, like, yeah it's a sandbox, and it's done, whatever, version 1, you won't mind as much. There are TONS of indie games that are like that, not something that grows with time, just games that are finished, and you're expected to pay for, play once (or several times) but don't expect to grow or change over time.

It's perfectly fine to offer people a game and say "hey, it's 10 bucks, enjoy". They just marketed it as something else, something more.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8927 on: September 11, 2012, 09:45:37 pm »

I actually love playing Terraria with a gamepad and I use an xbox controller. With the Pinnacle Game Profiler you can set it up so that the right stick rotates in a small circle around your character about as far as you can mine etc.. and it snaps back to center when not being used. It is my preferred method to play  and is loads of fun. Same with games like Cortex Command etc..

Just as I expected! Also, that's frickin cool that there's a tool to do that, I'm gonna have to figure out how to get it (and games) to work on my comp at some point...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8928 on: September 11, 2012, 10:16:49 pm »

Yeah, my issue with Terraria is that they said from the beginning "we're gonna be here tweaking things forever" and then just "loljk" out of nowhere.  If they'd been upfront and said "we're gonna try but no promises" or "alright, we're gonna wind things down a bit" then that'd be different.  But the posts literally went from "Check out what we're planning for next week!" to "later fools!"

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8929 on: September 11, 2012, 10:20:31 pm »

I wish I could jump back in time a year and tell my younger self to calm his butt down about that Terraria thing. Not that it wasn't fun or worth the $10, it's just.. I feel like it could have been more.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8930 on: September 11, 2012, 10:23:38 pm »

Hooo boy, if I could jump back in time I'd slap myself.  And I wouldn't tell me why either.  But somewhere deep inside... I'd know why.  I'd know why, and I'd promise myself to get revenge.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8931 on: September 11, 2012, 10:43:10 pm »

I can't help but feel you folks are taking it too personally. I got 114 hours so far out of Terraria, and I haven't even activated Hard Mode yet (too much time building, and of course I had to start new worlds as updates were released). That's a damn good bargain for $9.99, or 11 hours of fun for every dollar spent.

And it's not like the game never received any updates at all. We got several large content additions, though bugs remain and multiplayer is still a bit of a mess. That, at least, I'd like to see more updates on.

If I could go back in time, I would have told past-self to get the four pack and share it with friends :D
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8932 on: September 11, 2012, 11:01:10 pm »

I can't help but feel you folks are taking it too personally. I got 114 hours so far out of Terraria, and I haven't even activated Hard Mode yet (too much time building, and of course I had to start new worlds as updates were released). That's a damn good bargain for $9.99, or 11 hours of fun for every dollar spent.

And it's not like the game never received any updates at all. We got several large content additions, though bugs remain and multiplayer is still a bit of a mess. That, at least, I'd like to see more updates on.

If I could go back in time, I would have told past-self to get the four pack and share it with friends :D

There is more to game development and going for games then just the product you recieve. The community and communication the developers have with the audiance is important (some games sink because of this)

If a developer is intentionally giving you lines then it hurts even if the game turns out well.

It is a lot like Dead Island (except in this case I wasn't fooled, I bought it because I was forced to). Was it a bad game? Not really. Was it ANYWHERE within the same country as how the company was trying to hook you? Heck no.

It has nothing to do with my personal feelings. It has to do with simple logic: "Game not game sold to me".

Also I love hearing the Hours to money ratio. I don't measure games in time because time is a superfluous measure of fun. I have had games, shows, and movies that lasted forever but were a waste of time. I have also had short games with no replayability that were a total blast! Here is something... If you took out all the grinding out of Terraria and all mindless wandering... how much time do you have left? There is something to be said about a game that is long AND a blast... but Anytime someone says "You paid blaw money and got blaw time" should probably
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 11:04:34 pm by Neonivek »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8933 on: September 11, 2012, 11:03:56 pm »

I just saw an interesting tweet by Red...

Stop what you're doing immediately - #TERRARIA IS COMING TO XBLA & PSN WITH BRAND NEW CONTENT! (tweet link remove and placed the full link down)
https://www.facebook.com/TerrariaOfficial

Now that is... o.O
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8934 on: September 11, 2012, 11:42:23 pm »

I just saw an interesting tweet by Red...

Stop what you're doing immediately - #TERRARIA IS COMING TO XBLA & PSN WITH BRAND NEW CONTENT! (tweet link remove and placed the full link down)
https://www.facebook.com/TerrariaOfficial

Now that is... o.O

:P

@ Neon:
11 hours of fun for every dollar spent
I don't spend hours on something if I don't have fun with it. Life's too short to do otherwise.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8935 on: September 11, 2012, 11:43:40 pm »

I don't spend hours on something if I don't have fun with it.

Yes you do...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8936 on: September 11, 2012, 11:44:22 pm »

Yes you do...
Oh, you know me better than myself do you?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8937 on: September 12, 2012, 12:00:29 am »

Yes you do...
Oh, you know me better than myself do you?

Apperantly. I don't know why you arn't aware of it.

Unless you are lucky enough to be one of those ceaslessly happy people.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #8938 on: September 12, 2012, 02:40:54 am »

Why I am also a bit disappointed with developers/development of Terraria is the same reason many others pointed out - the game could be so much more. Not saying that it is not fun or that you don't get a lot of content for 10€ (or 1,49€ in my case, hehe). But personally I think Terraria is a game where imagination can really run wild - both on player AND developer's side. I mean, they could just continue to add stuff - space setting, expanded underwater setting, parallel dimension,...you name it.

Then again, there are people who found 1.1 to be stretching things to much already so yeah, it's a quality vs. quantity situation.

But I still think Terraria is a game that should offer quantity and players would be the one who'd provide quality.

That being said - I'll go check the server. I guess it's time to start building my floating asteroid home. I only later remembered that obsidian would be best for outer shell (meteorite being just to valuable), but ok, I'll go for rough rock now.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8939 on: September 12, 2012, 02:43:30 am »

I still kinda wish it had more legitimate bosses.

But I am alone in the belief that the boss design in Terraria is weak in general... Which compared that Skeletor is a killer paper doll I don't know why I take anyone's oppinion on Terraria seriously anymore.

Honestly do they make you take drugs before playing? Why is Skeletor a great boss?

But appart from my obvious irrational dislike of the bosses of Terraria because they are great and amazing...

Yeah... my problem with Terraria is mostly that... it is weak and never really adds up to much after all is said and done.

What are you saving up for? To fight the bosses? Well all the bosses are garbage. For PVP? The game isn't that grand in PVP. To explore more content? You can get everything quite fast and unless empty caverns really interest you (and BOY do they interest some people... I still don't know why but I'll chalk it up to my irrational hatred of empty expanses of dirt). Are any of the enemies really fun to kill? not really.

Terraria never steps it up as a game. Even the Hard mode bosses who are the closest things I have seen to being GOOD bosses are somewhat flawed battles of attrition where you are actually outright expected to cheap them out (Plus that is only THREE bosses).

Except no... I am irrational about that because apperantly the bosses are amazing.

NO I am not trying to be ironic. I have never gotten any hint from anyone that the gameplay of Terraria and its TERRIBLE hopping mechanics, Terrible boss battles BECAUSE the hopping mechanics are so terrible, and just terrible bosses were anything but amazing. Mind you it isn't terrible... it just isn't great.

Terraria is a game that NEEDS great bosses. It really is just it. It needed fun gameplay centric bosses. Mind you like everything they probably planned on having more bosses.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 03:01:09 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 887