Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 603 604 [605] 606 607 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261365 times)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #9060 on: April 05, 2013, 09:22:05 am »

The dev said there would be so much more content, and when he failed to deliver, some people got a little ticked off at that.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

comham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9061 on: April 05, 2013, 09:24:40 am »

The dev said there would be so much more content, and when he failed to deliver, some people got a little ticked off at that.
I guess that's what you get for following the development of a game and drinking the drips of slow-release content. I don't like minecraft anymore because I did that.

But terraria as it is seemed a reasonable place to stop. I played it without knowing anything about it, though. What exactly did he promise?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9062 on: April 05, 2013, 09:37:51 am »

That it was "the game he's always wanted to make", that he'd "keep making content as long as people were asking for it."

It was really the abruptness that really soured everyone. My suspicion is there was an internal falling out. Everything is going along at a good clip, Hard Mode is released which they've been working on for a while...then out of the blue Redigit says "I'm going to spend time with my family (after making more than $1 million in sales.) Blue is already gone. Thanks for the ride, guys."

When someone says they're going to commit to their game ala Toady One style, becomes a huge success, then completely reverses themselves and sells their rights to their game....yeah, I think many have plenty of reasons to feel pissed. Not the least of which is because, he took the time to put it on consoles and add some features for that.

It makes it seem like he sold us on the idea of a living product, but in the end it was really the money he was interested in. Because once he'd made plenty, his interest in developing the game completely disappeared.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9063 on: April 05, 2013, 05:28:41 pm »

That it was "the game he's always wanted to make", that he'd "keep making content as long as people were asking for it."

It was really the abruptness that really soured everyone. My suspicion is there was an internal falling out. Everything is going along at a good clip, Hard Mode is released which they've been working on for a while...then out of the blue Redigit says "I'm going to spend time with my family (after making more than $1 million in sales.) Blue is already gone. Thanks for the ride, guys."

When someone says they're going to commit to their game ala Toady One style, becomes a huge success, then completely reverses themselves and sells their rights to their game....yeah, I think many have plenty of reasons to feel pissed. Not the least of which is because, he took the time to put it on consoles and add some features for that.

It makes it seem like he sold us on the idea of a living product, but in the end it was really the money he was interested in. Because once he'd made plenty, his interest in developing the game completely disappeared.
You took the words out of my mouth. I said there would be X Y Z coming shortly, and then bam i stop because kid, familly blablabla nonsense. If it were REALLY the reason well that same reason was still there when he said X Y Z would be coming. It was like saying monday hey guys, my plans on the long term will be having village, NPC village, new dimension, X Y Z. That friday of the same week he comes out of the blue saying Well guys it has been a nice ride but im off to spend more time with my familly. Errrr what? Where is it coming from, your familly was there monday and yet you still made annoncement of X Y Z and your long term plans.... What did change? Your GF got pissed off because you were now milionaire and you were still working or what?

Anyway seeing a man saying he does it because he love the project and that success or not he would not abandon it to disapear after a few milion bucks made later well thats kinda a frigging slap/lie in the face. Im fine with terraria the way it is, the game is very awesome for the pricetag, it has a lot of fun in it, its the redigit fiasco that turn me down and make me boil from the inside. Some ppl will say calm down its just a game, i dont have problem with the game, i have problem with the dev attitude, its unacceptable in the game industry. Hire a PR dammit.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9064 on: April 05, 2013, 05:46:41 pm »

Guys... I can't really fault a dude for making a quality of life decision that he would be happier if he spent more time with his family. The difference in value and obligation between family and game community on a personal level is huge.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9065 on: April 05, 2013, 05:58:08 pm »

My suspicion is there was an internal falling out. Everything is going along at a good clip, Hard Mode is released which they've been working on for a while...then out of the blue Redigit says "I'm going to spend time with my family (after making more than $1 million in sales.) Blue is already gone. Thanks for the ride, guys."

... sells their rights to their game... he took the time to put it on consoles and add some features for that.

it was really the money he was interested in. Because once he'd made plenty, his interest in developing the game completely disappeared.

I do think SOMEthing happened behind the scenes. There was a long period of not much going on, then Blue and Tiy disappeared for Starbound, though it wasn't made public at the time. I think at the very least Red knew he was done for a long while before the official announcement.

As I understand it, Red had nothing to do with the console port after selling the rights. He may pass changes on to 505 and let them handle porting those, but I don't think he does any work on that version.

If he didn't care about money, the game would have been free. If he really had no interest in developing it anymore, the new content wouldn't be coming out. If he REALLY only wanted money, this would all be a DLC, coz you know the die-hard kids would buy it up.

I still think this is more of an awkward guy getting in way over his head with his first big project and not having the head for business or PR to make it work well. I also don't really expect him to make anything else, and I will probably move on to Starbound for my 2-D building needs, once it's out.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9066 on: April 05, 2013, 06:40:48 pm »

If he didn't care about money, the game would have been free. If he really had no interest in developing it anymore, the new content wouldn't be coming out. If he REALLY only wanted money, this would all be a DLC, coz you know the die-hard kids would buy it up.

Right, and in my lesser moments of butthurtness, I give him all that. The fact he came back at all should mean something. The family thing though? What do politicians say when shit blows up and they need to make a quick exit? Is that the truth? I don't know and will never know. But it has never really evoked my sympathy.

It was ultimately his passion and seeming commitment to the project long-term that had me interested. And if I'm honest, I was *always* looking to the future when playing Terraria. What's there is nice but I was generally playing to kill time, hoping the game was going to evolve beyond its simple origins. It never did, and never will. So it's hard for me to look at Terraria without wondering what it could have been if he'd, I dunno, taken it seriously as he said he was going to.

I mean, with a fat bankroll, no need to work anymore....exactly what better point is there to develop something long-term?

I still think this is more of an awkward guy getting in way over his head with his first big project and not having the head for business or PR to make it work well. I also don't really expect him to make anything else, and I will probably move on to Starbound for my 2-D building needs, once it's out.

Here's the thing. Redigit was not a newb when he started Terraria. I checked his background, he's managed some websites that host flash games and such, and I think he even put some of his own smaller games up there. The guy was in the industry, not necessarily at the head of a development team or selling games on the open market....but he definitely had practical experience, both in games and in business, before Terraria. So I don't feel a lot of "fish out of water" sympathy for him.

I mean, even consider how long it ultimately took to get the game out. About 6 months, 7 to 8 months if you add the pre-announcement development time, iirc. Consider what it would have been like if the full release had been delayed a few months. The mostly-complete game would have come out, and that would have been the end of it. Sometimes it feels like development only truly started on a deeper level, when it just stopped.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 06:55:00 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9067 on: April 05, 2013, 07:48:48 pm »

Sometimes it feels like development only truly started on a deeper level, when it just stopped.

And this is about all that can be said about Terraria. Such promise and nothing.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #9068 on: April 05, 2013, 07:59:56 pm »

Guys... I can't really fault a dude for making a quality of life decision that he would be happier if he spent more time with his family. The difference in value and obligation between family and game community on a personal level is huge.

Yeah basically that.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9069 on: April 06, 2013, 01:08:46 am »

I still think Terraria was a pretty great for a few months.  I don't really understand what this is all about.  While I wouldn't call it groundbreaking or genre-defining, it was the first game I'm aware of to take on that combination of features.  First of a kind games are almost always flawed, and others always come along later to refine on that first attempt.  I thought Terraria was a pretty decent attempt.  I'm sure I'm going to enjoy Starbound more, but I have Terraria to thank for that.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9070 on: April 06, 2013, 01:23:36 am »

I'm not sure how I feel about Starbound... It looks flashy, but I'm waiting to see an activity that really looks fun.
Resource gathering isn't exactly the highlight of my gaming experience, and so far I haven't seen much evidence of fun combat. Building stuff with others is fun for a while but does sooner or later loose its charm.
As for discovery, I would be surprised if the RNG was capable of producing anything meaningful enough so that things are honestly that interesting, instead of getting to a point where you can identify the same behavioral patterns over and over.

Still, open to pleasant surprises.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9071 on: April 06, 2013, 02:16:05 am »

Starbound needs to step up in being better then Terraria. While the Terraria community is pretty dismissive about its flaws, I however am aware of them to know that I won't touch starbound if it makes the same mistakes as it will just be "Cool but bland".

Terraria rant in spoilers
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9072 on: April 07, 2013, 08:32:47 am »

is there a bay12 terraria server some where? i saw some posting about one a while back.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9073 on: April 07, 2013, 08:56:14 am »

is there a bay12 terraria server some where? i saw some posting about one a while back.
I'll throw one up if you like.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9074 on: April 07, 2013, 08:58:34 am »

Should I throw up a normal server, or one which is hardcore mode from the start?
Pages: 1 ... 603 604 [605] 606 607 ... 887