Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261270 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.2 now out!
« Reply #9825 on: October 02, 2013, 10:42:30 pm »

What do the spiked boots do?

They're basically the same as climbing claws. You jump against a wall and slowly slide down.

If you have both at the same time, however, you stick to the wall without sliding.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9826 on: October 02, 2013, 10:52:48 pm »

Apparently bringing both to a tinker bench will let you climb walls properly.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 11:18:46 pm by Seriyu »

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #9828 on: October 02, 2013, 11:37:11 pm »

Leaving aside that I've already gone through the progression twice in SP and several times for different MP servers; it has lost most of the attraction for me, because there's no real exploration element like there is in Minecraft, just more repetitious grind. It's not even a challenge once you've done it the first time, just tedium... maybe it'll be different with Starbound.

What exploration? You've seen one abandoned mineshaft, "dungeon", village, stronghold, fortress, ravine, or whatever and you've seen them all. Hell, every individual piece of each of those is the same thing copy-pasted a hundred times over. At least in Terraria you get a bit of variety in the types of things you can explore and the aesthetics aren't as terrible as Minecraft's so the points of interest actually look GOOD.

As far as I'm concerned it just shows that randomly generated stuff has a long way to go before it comes even close to a hand-crafted world. Dwarf Fortress is probably the farthest along and it's still not close.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9829 on: October 02, 2013, 11:41:00 pm »

Apparently bringing both to a tinker bench will let you climb walls properly.

You can stick and hold down to slide with only 1 slot occupied instead of 2.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9830 on: October 02, 2013, 11:48:35 pm »

Leaving aside that I've already gone through the progression twice in SP and several times for different MP servers; it has lost most of the attraction for me, because there's no real exploration element like there is in Minecraft, just more repetitious grind. It's not even a challenge once you've done it the first time, just tedium... maybe it'll be different with Starbound.

What exploration? You've seen one abandoned mineshaft, "dungeon", village, stronghold, fortress, ravine, or whatever and you've seen them all. Hell, every individual piece of each of those is the same thing copy-pasted a hundred times over. At least in Terraria you get a bit of variety in the types of things you can explore and the aesthetics aren't as terrible as Minecraft's so the points of interest actually look GOOD.

As far as I'm concerned it just shows that randomly generated stuff has a long way to go before it comes even close to a hand-crafted world. Dwarf Fortress is probably the farthest along and it's still not close.
Eh, forget the pregenned structures. I play with a biome mod, and I play to find really bizarre terrain.

So. Blue, Frumple, and I got a second key and opened the jungle temple. Cleared down to the boss room, but it was down to Frumple and myself. I started laughing about "lel EZmodeboss" as we hung from the ceiling... and then it smeared Frumple and started transforming. :c

Good news, though, is that the Plantera flower respawns. Found something like 6 tonight. Also, Golem is much easier to solo if you are a cheesemeister.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 12:36:38 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9831 on: October 03, 2013, 12:57:39 am »

... do note that Frumple was in molten armor, with subpar weapons, going up against a dakkalishish hard mode boss and its spawny friends. I kept telling people I wasn't going to be able to do much against those things :V

Though I guess FD was T-whatever. Did manage to solo the golem. Once.

Second time didn't go as well.

I am kinda' digging all the new sorts of ammo, though. That nano ammo in particular is pretty nice. Ranged confusion is love.

That said. Anyone know where to buy/get, uh... venom? I think. The stuff you use to make venom bullets. I want some o'dat.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9832 on: October 03, 2013, 02:30:03 am »

Discovered that you can nowake gems which drop on death......

Team Dreathmatch CTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #9833 on: October 03, 2013, 02:44:28 am »

... do note that Frumple was in molten armor, with subpar weapons, going up against a dakkalishish hard mode boss and its spawny friends. I kept telling people I wasn't going to be able to do much against those things :V

Though I guess FD was T-whatever. Did manage to solo the golem. Once.

Second time didn't go as well.

I am kinda' digging all the new sorts of ammo, though. That nano ammo in particular is pretty nice. Ranged confusion is love.

That said. Anyone know where to buy/get, uh... venom? I think. The stuff you use to make venom bullets. I want some o'dat.

Miiiight be able to make it with stingers, I know you can make poison BLOWDARTS with them anyway. Seems as good a place to start as any!

EDIT: Wait, apparently not.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 02:52:08 am by Seriyu »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #9834 on: October 03, 2013, 03:23:55 am »

I want to play terraria with someone, on a server, but no-ne's in my timezone D:

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #9835 on: October 03, 2013, 04:29:40 am »

I want to play terraria with someone, on a server, but no-ne's in my timezone D:
*ahem*

...;__;

* Tiruin lies forgotten by the lonely dusty corner that usually symbolizes being forgotten.

*sigh*

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #9836 on: October 03, 2013, 04:39:01 am »

You weren't online today :I

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9837 on: October 03, 2013, 04:56:22 am »

Well, if you two do make a server, I'd join it... I'm sort of out of whack with sleep

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9838 on: October 03, 2013, 05:42:22 am »

I'm usually on during your evenings, so I could join you then.
Love, scriver~

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9839 on: October 03, 2013, 08:28:54 am »

I have the master ninja gear, full pirate costume, steampunk wings, and am armed with a zombie arm. That is all.

Also, balloon bundle, fuck yes, can't wait to get it.
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 887