Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 659 660 [661] 662 663 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261275 times)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.2 now out!
« Reply #9900 on: October 04, 2013, 01:43:24 am »

Yeah. With the whole, you only get one potion a minute, melee seems to be really subpar compared to any decent ranged option. Less damage, less cool stuff you can do, more risk and you're going to take more damage. Harder to dodge stuff. I guess its okay for mowing down waves of chaff if you just don't want to bother...

I mean, you can use it, its a viable option its just... ehhh.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9901 on: October 04, 2013, 01:45:38 am »

I haven't completed hardmode yet as I can't remember how exactly to progress that game beyond killing Cthulhu (even then I had to manually summon him).

Relus

• Bay Watcher
  • Brake Jammin', CB Talkin', Convoy Rollin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9902 on: October 04, 2013, 01:46:18 am »

Magic definitely has obtained a massive upgrade.
In particular, I've found...

SPELL AND ARMOR SPOILER.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9903 on: October 04, 2013, 01:52:37 am »

I found a 'spear' in a corruption chest that has some 60 melee damage. It shoots an Eater in a straight line that, upon hitting something, splits off into 0-4 slower Eaters that bounce and home in on things. Most common number of split-off is 2 eaters.

It's pretty good - the only real flaw is that it doesn't home on PvP enabled players, and it doesn't emit light like all the other post-hardmode-metal-tier weapons.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9904 on: October 04, 2013, 01:55:18 am »

It's pretty good - the only real flaw is that it doesn't home on PvP enabled players, and it doesn't emit light like all the other post-hardmode-metal-tier weapons.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #9905 on: October 04, 2013, 02:08:32 am »

Melee certainly seems to be something you use in conjunction with another damage type, because it does just level large amounts of small enemies with little effort. Probably by design as the melee helmets for the hardmode ores do give something along the lines of 20-25 more defense then the magic/ranged alternatives, if I remember correctly. Spears work pretty well on large enemies as frumple said, but narrow ones have the notable disadvantage of having to line up with them. Most of them are wide enough for it to not be too big an issue, but something like the wyvern? Yeah. Melee isn't something you use on enemies in hardmode unless you're exploiting it via meteorite/hellstone ore. And are you really even using it, so much as the exploit then?

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9906 on: October 04, 2013, 02:16:29 am »

Melee certainly seems to be something you use in conjunction with another damage type, because it does just level large amounts of small enemies with little effort. Probably by design as the melee helmets for the hardmode ores do give something along the lines of 20-25 more defense then the magic/ranged alternatives, if I remember correctly. Spears work pretty well on large enemies as frumple said, but narrow ones have the notable disadvantage of having to line up with them. Most of them are wide enough for it to not be too big an issue, but something like the wyvern? Yeah. Melee isn't something you use on enemies in hardmode unless you're exploiting it via meteorite/hellstone ore. And are you really even using it, so much as the exploit then?
That has been fixed btw you can't use the ore to make you take 0 dmg from bosses now or at least the patch notes said it was fixed.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9907 on: October 04, 2013, 04:27:21 am »

They're insanely good, I know that first- and second-hand. Especially if you want to kill dangerous stuff without gitting in their line of fire.

I can also confirm that this is true.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 04:30:15 am by Darvi »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9908 on: October 04, 2013, 04:46:28 am »

Melee though has finally been given a serious upgrade with the Turtle armor.

Since the biggest problem with Melee is simply that it was a high risk no reward type play against enemies that are either ranged or cannot be knocked back.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9909 on: October 04, 2013, 05:45:57 am »

Do larger worlds have more features, or just larger features?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9910 on: October 04, 2013, 06:10:58 am »

It has a higher chance of spawning all the biomes like the rare Crimson biome. I learnt that the hard way with a small world although I do find medium and large a bit too large for singleplayer.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9911 on: October 04, 2013, 06:29:04 am »

I had wondered whether they'd be able to make the world cylindrical. I look at the ocean and always feel like trying to cross it, but I know there's nothing over there other then sharks and jellyfish.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9912 on: October 04, 2013, 06:48:54 am »

It has a higher chance of spawning all the biomes like the rare Crimson biome. I learnt that the hard way with a small world although I do find medium and large a bit too large for singleplayer.
Is Crimson the weird blood-and-nightmares-looking place? It doesn't seem all that rare, my most recent world is covered in it. Kinda annoying, to be honest.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #9913 on: October 04, 2013, 06:54:59 am »

Crimson isn't really rare at all. It either spawns instead of corruption or it doesn't, and the chance of which you get seems about equal. Pretty much exactly like the replacement ores.

What I admittedly don't like about the replacement ores though is they made 2 of them outright better than the ores they replace. Tungsten is better since it's effectively good enough as gold for pickaxes, and platinum makes hands down the best early game magic staff. Kinda makes it so if you wanted an "Optimal" world you'd want it to have both of those instead of the defaults, at least in a power gaming sense.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9914 on: October 04, 2013, 07:42:38 am »

That has been fixed btw you can't use the ore to make you take 0 dmg from bosses now or at least the patch notes said it was fixed.
The trick was, to stand atop meteorite or hellstone, so it gives you constant damage, which you could reduce via defense to 1, and it would hurt you instead of the boss.

In 1.2 all 'terrain that burns you' causes 5 damage every ~.5 seconds, with no way to lower the damage.  It burns you pretty quickly and you still get hurt by bosses.
Pages: 1 ... 659 660 [661] 662 663 ... 887