Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261520 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.2 now out!
« Reply #10215 on: October 07, 2013, 10:13:32 am »

The mechanical differences are actually important to people who care.
Code: [Select]
  #
  #
 ##
 ##
###
###
^This is cannot be crossed.
Code: [Select]
  /
  #
 /#
 ##
/##
###
This can be crossed by walking, slower than over flat, but still possible.

While it's possible to walk up single tile steps, walking up a slope is smoother and seems to deny any growth of plants.  Half-bricks can also trigger fountains, as should be obvious.

Platforms can also be toggled to be on the upper or lower border of a tile.

If you don't care about these changes then you're free to not care.  But a lot of us do enjoy these things, and you trying to universally dismiss this is just immature.  It's ok to not like things, but don't be a dick about it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10216 on: October 07, 2013, 10:19:05 am »

For those joining the hardmode server, remember - this is a DAY 1 hardmode server for mediumcore characters.

That means new characters! No bringing stuff in from other servers (and preferably no using your character on other servers either).

Also, the tower to the east of the main spawn is mine, leave that whole area alone. >_>

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10217 on: October 07, 2013, 10:29:10 am »

While it's possible to walk up single tile steps, walking up a slope is smoother and seems to deny any growth of plants.  Half-bricks can also trigger fountains, as should be obvious.

If you don't care about these changes then you're free to not care.  But a lot of us do enjoy these things, and you trying to universally dismiss this is just immature.  It's ok to not like things, but don't be a dick about it.

Making a 1 up 1 over slope is likely a lot faster to build, and certainly simpler because it uses only one tool, as you don't have to cycle through half bricks while making sure your 2 up 1 over is just right. You have almost 4 times more horizontal space than vertical space even in a small world map, so going "fat" is not going to kill you. Please, have fun doing what you're doing.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10218 on: October 07, 2013, 10:30:53 am »

If you are building in an already existing settlement with other players, saving on horizontal space (and providing a straightforward run through that doesn't require jumping so as not to obstruct traffic) can be pretty important.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 10:34:47 am by GlyphGryph »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10219 on: October 07, 2013, 10:33:22 am »

Making a 1 up 1 over slope is likely a lot faster to build, and certainly simpler because it uses only one tool, as you don't have to cycle through half bricks while making sure your 2 up 1 over is just right. You have almost 4 times more horizontal space than vertical space even in a small world map, so going "fat" is not going to kill you. Please, have fun doing what you're doing.

Seriously, there's no reason to be a dick to other people because they prioritize different things than you when creating something.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10220 on: October 07, 2013, 12:48:31 pm »

Indeed. Creating is all about creativity. That includes creative use of subtle mechanical differences between otherwise cosmetic variations of something.

In other news. I guess there is no point delaying it further. Playing softcore anyway, so won't lose much in any case.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Let's see what all this "hardmode" nonsense is all about. ^_^
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10221 on: October 07, 2013, 12:51:39 pm »

How did you make these fence knobs?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10222 on: October 07, 2013, 12:58:42 pm »

Put a single fence tile over another fence tile, with no other backwall on its sides or above.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10223 on: October 07, 2013, 01:08:06 pm »

Hallowed legendary weapon is awesome for it if you're lucky enough to find a key.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10224 on: October 07, 2013, 01:17:24 pm »

I'm trying to recall if you can get the flamethrower before killing the Destroyer...

If not, same tactics as used for the EoW: Get a weapon with penetration, set up a vertical arena with wood platforms. With the amount of hearts you get from the laser eyes it really isn't much of a problem.

3. Run Resize Enable

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10225 on: October 07, 2013, 01:38:06 pm »

If you can get a shadowbeam staff or inferno fork at the hardmode dungeon, the destroyer will die pretty quickly.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10226 on: October 07, 2013, 01:39:13 pm »

have broken 4 shadow orbs yesterday, died to the eater of worlds but dropped enough scales for a nightmare pickaxe and axe. shadow orbs dropped a band of starpower, musket, ball'o'hurt and shadow orb. along with demonite ore. a good night indeed.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10227 on: October 07, 2013, 01:55:39 pm »

I was never able to beat the destroyer. Or any hardmode bosses, actually. I tried exploits, but NONE of them worked.
For the Twins and Skeletron Prime, it can be incredibly easy. Just build a skybridge around half the length of a small map, and get the following gear:

-The best hardmode armor you have, with the ranged helm.
-Minishark (or, if possible, Megashark--I don't remember the exact requirements) with at least 2000 ammo, preferably hardmode (crystal/cursed), meteor otherwise.
-Herme's Boots
-Philosopher's Stone
-Health regen band (or wings/rocket boots if you can get them)
-Cross necklace
-Obsidian shield
-A stack of the best health potions you have
-As complete as set of buff potions as you can get (regen, thorn, soup, etc.)

Just start at one end, summon, run full speed to the other while firing behind you, wait for it/them to catch and overshoot you, then start running the other way. You'll be able to consistently stay out of range ~70% of the time, and you can just chug potions when you need them. Once you internalize the height that they travel at, it's absurdly easy.

Here's a crappy old how-to example I made a while back.

3. Run Resize Enable

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10228 on: October 07, 2013, 01:57:05 pm »

Gem grappling hooks? Huh. I did not know that was a thing. That seems like a very reasonable way to get that functionality early game.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10229 on: October 07, 2013, 02:14:57 pm »

I was never able to beat the destroyer. Or any hardmode bosses, actually. I tried exploits, but NONE of them worked.
For the Twins and Skeletron Prime, it can be incredibly easy. Just build a skybridge around half the length of a small map, and get the following gear:

-The best hardmode armor you have, with the ranged helm.
-Minishark (or, if possible, Megashark--I don't remember the exact requirements) with at least 2000 ammo, preferably hardmode (crystal/cursed), meteor otherwise.
-Herme's Boots
-Philosopher's Stone
-Health regen band (or wings/rocket boots if you can get them)
-Cross necklace
-Obsidian shield
-A stack of the best health potions you have
-As complete as set of buff potions as you can get (regen, thorn, soup, etc.)

Just start at one end, summon, run full speed to the other while firing behind you, wait for it/them to catch and overshoot you, then start running the other way. You'll be able to consistently stay out of range ~70% of the time, and you can just chug potions when you need them. Once you internalize the height that they travel at, it's absurdly easy.

Here's a crappy old how-to example I made a while back.
I don't know if I'd call that "incredibly easy" as it involves farming for almost the entirety of hardmode before you're qualified to use that method.
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 887