Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Colourful Buildings  (Read 3943 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Colourful Buildings
« on: June 18, 2011, 08:16:03 pm »

So, the colours in todays schematics- relevant? In fact, lets just say our first impressions from these screenshots

First of all, I am reminded how much I prefer tilesets, I found those huge screenshots to be very confusing when it came to what was inside the buildings.

Secondly, I notice that a lot of the buildings seem roofless, or at least really tall and empty.

[ and  ß seem to be all over the place, that's probably an ASCII thing, what do they stand for?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Colourful Buildings
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 08:27:16 pm »

I would assume that that odd-looking B is beta. As for what it means in the game... Yeah, cannot remember.

They're connected linguistically anyways.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 08:36:34 pm »

It will be very awsome to walk through these cities, when they get their sewer system attached beneath it. Hopefully also we'll get some random ladders or roof-access points, or a climbing skill soon enough, just so there's a way to escape the maze the roads take.
But still, this will be as wonderfully amazing as the transition from 2D to 3D first was.

So, the colours in todays schematics- relevant? In fact, lets just say our first impressions from these screenshots
The building colors in the schematic all relate to a skill the shop owner has or the building function. (light green = gemcraft shop)

Secondly, I notice that a lot of the buildings seem roofless, or at least really tall and empty.
Second floors not done/programmed yet. Or everyone just really, really likes tall ceilings.

[ and  ß seem to be all over the place, that's probably an ASCII thing, what do they stand for?
Clothing or armor, and tanned leather, respectively.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 08:39:18 pm »

I notice no one seems to be using bins.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 08:46:18 pm »

I notice no one seems to be using bins.
Or barrels to store their food -- it's easy to see the green and white : and other food-item colored symbols in the various buildings.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 11:16:00 pm »

I saw a dwarf wagon in Town 2 - 133 will we be able to embark in towns O.o

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 11:42:16 pm »

I saw a dwarf wagon in Town 2 - 133 will we be able to embark in towns O.o

Toady embarked in fort mode to take the screens, but I doubt we'll be able to embark in towns come release. He has mentioned the possibility of an init option to allow ludicrous embarks, though!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 11:57:04 pm »

I'd just like to note that the microline walls made me wince.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 12:29:10 am »

Looks like there are plants growing inside. Which could be nice for an elf-y settlement or even in lesser used rooms of an underground dwarf settlement, but probably not realistic for peasant hovels.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 12:55:48 am »

Looks like there are plants growing inside. Which could be nice for an elf-y settlement or even in lesser used rooms of an underground dwarf settlement, but probably not realistic for peasant hovels.

Without the advatage of loo(k)ing, we can only speculate.

RELEASE ALREADY!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 04:39:07 am »

I'm glad to see that there are multiple temples in the towns. All three of them, from the schematics, seem to have two temples. Not sure if that's a limit or coincidence, but I like it.

I have to admit, it does seem a bit funny to me that apparently, the furniture shops are putting their sellable tables onto tables, but that's the way it works.

Shrubs and tree saplings in the hovels have been mentioned already, but there's also ant or bee hives in a few. I guess some cleaning by the inhabitants is necessary still.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 04:46:57 am »

First of all, I am reminded how much I prefer tilesets, I found those huge screenshots to be very confusing when it came to what was inside the buildings.

When you're playing, your viewing area is pretty limited, so there's less information to sort out. You also have the ability to look at stuff and see what it is.

The ß is leather, I think. Passionhelm is a very kinky town.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 05:22:54 am »

Huh. In the schematics, there are pretty big dark-gray buildings with thick lines around them, one for each town. Where these buildings are in Toady's embark area, only their empty ceiling area is shown, and they have many internal walls. Are those warehouses, perhaps?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 05:25:34 am »

Yeah, those are the warehouses.  Fill every tile in them with random items of every variety you see in the shops and you have the picture.  Bins in time.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 05:39:16 am »

Only looked at Town 1, so far, because I'm on a slow link ATM and it's awkward.

Sorry, Cespinarve, but I think that the default tileset is more readable.  (Plus you couldn't expect Toady to use a custom one for such a reveal without de facto supporting it, at least in some people's eyes...)

Hard to say, but I also picked up that some of the rooms (especially the ones based upon the Z-level 188, it appears) are multi-level open spaces, probably made that way to keep contiguous roofs over ostensibly ground-floor rooms created across multi-level terrain.  No actually roofless rooms, that I could see, though plenty of nominally inaccessible roofs (no change there), and I might have missed it, but the wall-towers (upper exits closed by hatches) and battlements (roofless, as if the dwarfs have never encountered flying enemies) seemed to be inaccessible from anywhere except the skies...

(Oh, and is that a stairwell, disappearing down below what I assume is the Keep of the Town 1?  Wonder where that goes...)

Yes, probably armour/clothes and leather, as it's now been said several times so I really don't know why I'm echoing the sentiment.

The way the roadways and buildings are constructed, I'm wondering if there's scope for something a bit like The Shades (Discworld), or at least The Shambles (York, UK), because it's heading that way.  (Won't bother linking, you can find details about them easily enough if you don't already know.)

Very much not how a player would create a settlement.  Maybe I should build something like that.  Horribly over-engineered walls (I mean... I horribly over-engineer walls, but not in such an inefficient manner that is probably in preparation to besieging troops having some form of construction-destroyers that need to be kept busy) and a far more organic feel to it, including "within" and "without" parts of the town.  Change some of those "front room/back room[/even backer room]" combos into proper shop (i.e. storeroom), workshop and living quarters combos (making them single-artisan occupancy and suitably interspaced by non-workshop and non-sleeping buildings, e.g. bars, food halls and the like, to help sort out the inherent noise/disturbance problems) and I could operate a fort like that with enough haulers to ensure most skilled dwarfs are kept happy in their work...

Of course, this was made for Adventure Modes and, despite any apparent complaints I've made, I find it very a satisfying procedural creation.  Bear in mind that a lot of player-built fortresses (at least in lock-down mode, and often in the default one too!) have large areas that are currently impregnable to Adventurers, and at least this (inaccessible walls, apart) has the possibility of walking through normally as long as there's no local resistance to the character doing so...

Ah, almost ninjaed by Word Of God, except that I had just decided to delete my poor excuse for an answer. :)
Pages: [1] 2