Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263478 times)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #825 on: July 02, 2011, 04:12:06 pm »

Amazing job on this Whales and Head. Please keep up the good work.

Whales your design strategy is really well thought out. This game is very far advanced for being an alpha.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: July 02, 2011, 04:18:49 pm »

Can I raise my intelligence in the game, or do I have to start with 12 intelligence to use the high end technical manuals?
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: July 02, 2011, 04:21:05 pm »

Well, it is a bit of an alignment issue when it comes to things like seasons--which in the next update will shift every 10 days.  But yes, shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Well if you want it to be consistent wouldn't it be possible to save the season and how many days into the current season it is? Not exactly saving a whole calender or anything nuts like that but I think that should be possible.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Ma88hew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: July 02, 2011, 04:25:40 pm »

An npc asked me to drop my weapon while I was sleeping in a house. I declined, and I guess he ran away. Fix?

Also, is the exp you earn right now used for anything?

EDIT: Also, along with improving your safety around windows, could you stick a dialog that asks you if you're sure you want to go through a window before you actually do? I keep getting seriously injured while fending off zombies that come through my windows because when there is a gap in time without any zombies in the window, I sometimes climb into it accidentally, giving me 20 zombie wounds. :\ And too often a game over.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 04:35:19 pm by Ma88hew »

1piemaster1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: July 02, 2011, 04:28:02 pm »

I hate npcs lol. Always make me debug into constant loops..

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: July 02, 2011, 04:30:23 pm »

Yeah, I ran into one just a minute ago which seemed to have a bad address or something.  Mostly just messages about being told to follow the player (and probably shake me down when he gets there, so screw him).

Speaking of bugs, this came up in a map I just generated.  I'm pretty sure this is a reused map, but I spawned so far away from where I did before that it revealed a much larger area, and may have messed things up somehow.

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: July 02, 2011, 04:32:25 pm »

Spoiler: Spoilery question (click to show/hide)

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: July 02, 2011, 04:32:49 pm »

Well, it is a bit of an alignment issue when it comes to things like seasons--which in the next update will shift every 10 days.  But yes, shouldn't be too much of an issue.
I'm going to guess that seasons will tie into warmth rather big time, going to be interesting to strip off some stuff in the summer and being encumbered in the winter to stay warm. I hope there's hazards within each season too, crunching leaves in the fall and ice in the winter and such.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: July 02, 2011, 04:34:59 pm »

I wonder... With weather and the seasons... Are natural disasters on the horizon too?

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: July 02, 2011, 04:40:43 pm »

Amazing job on this Whales and Head. Please keep up the good work.

Whales your design strategy is really well thought out. This game is very far advanced for being an alpha.

Thanks!

Can I raise my intelligence in the game, or do I have to start with 12 intelligence to use the high end technical manuals?

You can raise your intelligence temporarily by taking drugs.

An npc asked me to drop my weapon while I was sleeping in a house. I declined, and I guess he ran away. Fix?

Also, is the exp you earn right now used for anything?

Noted, NPCs will no longer bug you if you are sleeping (and in the future they'll probably just rob you while you sleep).
XP is used to increase your skills.  If your XP pool is empty skills will not increase.  The game moves XP from your XP pool to your skills when you use the skill in question.

Well if you want it to be consistent wouldn't it be possible to save the season and how many days into the current season it is? Not exactly saving a whole calender or anything nuts like that but I think that should be possible.

That would cause even more issues on multi-player systems.  Right now the way it works is fine I believe.

Yeah, I ran into one just a minute ago which seemed to have a bad address or something.  Mostly just messages about being told to follow the player (and probably shake me down when he gets there, so screw him).

Speaking of bugs, this came up in a map I just generated.  I'm pretty sure this is a reused map, but I spawned so far away from where I did before that it revealed a much larger area, and may have messed things up somehow.

It's semi-intended; a river or lake is essentially as good as a natural wall.  That said, I'll try to make the settlements rotate so that the front gate doesn't actually face water.

Spoiler: Spoilery question (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm going to guess that seasons will tie into warmth rather big time, going to be interesting to strip off some stuff in the summer and being encumbered in the winter to stay warm. I hope there's hazards within each season too, crunching leaves in the fall and ice in the winter and such.

Yes indeed, and each season has its own table of weather probability--spring is quite wet and rainy (as you may have noticed), summer's sunny, fall is generally cloudy or clear, winter has snow.  Warmth is very season-dependant, and in the winter snow will accumulate, making movement difficult if you do not clear a path.

I wonder... With weather and the seasons... Are natural disasters on the horizon too?

Well, I'm not going to go SimCity and introduce tornados or floods.  But you can expect something along the lines of natural disasters, sure.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: July 02, 2011, 04:42:34 pm »

I forgot about multiplayer systems. Silly me. In any case though I never even thought of just trying... Well things I would of thought of in real life. Heh. Rather surprising Whales.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: July 02, 2011, 04:48:48 pm »

I know NPCs are buggy, but I thought I share something that might be easily fixable.

I threw an active grenade at an NPC.

The NPC picked it up and ran through a door into another room of the building.

I hear an explosion north of my position.

The NPC is dead. Free loot.

Sorry if this has been reported before.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: July 02, 2011, 05:00:10 pm »

I know NPCs are buggy, but I thought I share something that might be easily fixable.

I threw an active grenade at an NPC.

The NPC picked it up and ran through a door into another room of the building.

I hear an explosion north of my position.

The NPC is dead. Free loot.

Sorry if this has been reported before.

Hahahaha, that had never even occured to me.  NPCs are rather loot-obsessed at the moment, it'll be turned down in the future.  I'm tempted to leave this as it is, as a hilarious and slightly-clever way of offing an NPC, but it's too easy and unrealistic.  I'll set active grenades to have a negative value so NPCs will ignore them.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: July 02, 2011, 05:12:28 pm »

Just pushed an update that gives you two extra points on character creation, locks spitter and shocker zombies into 10 and 12 max range, respectively, and removes cleaning zombie meat.

Also, I'm pretty sure that I've identified the source of the majority of NPC-caused crashes.  It's in their drop-items routine, and the game will now spit a debug message at you just before it crashes (hopefully).  If you receive a debug message concerning npc::drop_items(), please forward it to me.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: July 02, 2011, 05:20:23 pm »

Are you planning to add the ability to play as a zombie?

Also, NPCs are too rare at the moment, and are EXTREMELY buggy.

ALSO,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 777