Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263604 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #1290 on: July 07, 2011, 07:06:25 pm »

I've made it that far and haven't gotten any implants yet. But thats because I've got no goddamned idea how to get into the science labs!

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: July 07, 2011, 07:08:50 pm »

I've made it that far and haven't gotten any implants yet. But thats because I've got no goddamned idea how to get into the science labs!

On a retired character, I got all my implants from dead science dudes I found lying in the streets. By the end, I was more metal than man with a power reserve of about 250 or so. Also, I make sure to kill any NPC's I find, as they sometimes have good implants in their inventory. I never, in all the labs I searched, found any implants in them whatsoever. I found the cool guns, but that's it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 07:11:17 pm by Vorbicon »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: July 07, 2011, 07:14:19 pm »

I don't think I've ever found a dead scientist is the thing. I got one super useless implant from a guy once I didn't bother with, but I don't remember what it was.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: July 07, 2011, 07:15:29 pm »

I don't think I've ever found a dead scientist is the thing. I got one super useless implant from a guy once I didn't bother with, but I don't remember what it was.
I find dead scientist everywhere right out of town.  Just follow along the town outskirts border and you'll definitely hit some.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: July 07, 2011, 07:16:54 pm »

I regularly find groups of them (plus groups of dead soldiers too) just walking the streets as I search houses. Unless you're avoiding roads heavily, I can't imagine how you've never run into any.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: July 07, 2011, 07:50:18 pm »

Aww, who would have thought that shooting innocent people would be so morale-dropping?
On the bright side, he was carrying 2 stacks of the ammo I needed, so I guess it's not all bad.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: July 07, 2011, 08:04:10 pm »

Aww, who would have thought that shooting innocent people would be so morale-dropping?
On the bright side, he was carrying 2 stacks of the ammo I needed, so I guess it's not all bad.

It's mainly to provide a penalty for players who want to "harvest" NPCs for goods, and to encourage working WITH them.  Of course, if you want to be a cold-hearted murdered, you can take the Heartless trait and avoid the penalties altogether.

UPDATE:  You can now craft a crappy ol' flamethrower.  It won't directly damage monsters, but it will set them on fire, killing them over a few turns.  You can also burn terrain.

Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: July 07, 2011, 08:13:41 pm »

Do new embellishments crop up over time?  Because I just found a Shimmering Portal where I swear there wasn't one before.  I seem to be having terrible luck with scientists this time, I've been all over town without finding any.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: July 07, 2011, 08:14:41 pm »

Do new embellishments crop up over time?  Because I just found a Shimmering Portal where I swear there wasn't one before.  I seem to be having terrible luck with scientists this time, I've been all over town without finding any.
Hey, what gear do you use/where do you stay at night? I have trouble living through the night because I keep getting ambushed in my sleep.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: July 07, 2011, 08:17:36 pm »

Hey, what gear do you use/where do you stay at night? I have trouble living through the night because I keep getting ambushed in my sleep.
First, you should try to get to the outskirts of town. MUCH less monsters out there.
Then, if possible, equip a (loaded of course) pistol and go to sleep. If anything jumps you, let it get close (1 square apart) and blow its brains out.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: July 07, 2011, 08:20:09 pm »

Pistol?

No, that won't do.

Get a rifle out. They hurt much, MUCH more.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: July 07, 2011, 08:21:45 pm »

I've been staying in a liquor store, since liquor stores have few windows, usually two doors, and a secure back room.  Except the last lightning storm convinced a Brute to bash down the back door, and you apparently can't repair doors (hint hint Whales).  I dug pits around all the barricades, but now that one door is boarded and the other is smashed, I'll have to move.

Gearwise, I'm pretty loaded for bear.  Lemme see... Steeltoes, cargo pants, t-shirt, sweater, two fanny packs, utility vest, rain coat, scarf, and either safety glasses and boonie hat, or bike helmet and ski goggles.  M1911 with silencer and extended clip, AK-47 with silencer, long barrel, gyroscope, and enhanced grip.  A crowbar, a couple molotovs and a lighter, codeine and first aid, and a flashlight.  I've got piles upon piles of stuff stocked in the liquor store, but now that it's compromised, I'll be moving everything to another location.

Make sure you actually check.  Even with M67 ammo, my AK does considerably less damage on average than the M1911's .45 ACP.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 08:23:41 pm by Aqizzar »
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: July 07, 2011, 08:32:32 pm »

Ya, you want a high accuracy rifle for sniping, and the most powerful pistol you can get for up close work. Both silenced if possible.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: July 07, 2011, 08:33:33 pm »

I've been staying in a liquor store, since liquor stores have few windows, usually two doors, and a secure back room.  Except the last lightning storm convinced a Brute to bash down the back door, and you apparently can't repair doors (hint hint Whales).  I dug pits around all the barricades, but now that one door is boarded and the other is smashed, I'll have to move.

Gearwise, I'm pretty loaded for bear.  Lemme see... Steeltoes, cargo pants, t-shirt, sweater, two fanny packs, utility vest, rain coat, scarf, and either safety glasses and boonie hat, or bike helmet and ski goggles.  M1911 with silencer and extended clip, AK-47 with silencer, long barrel, gyroscope, and enhanced grip.  A crowbar, a couple molotovs and a lighter, codeine and first aid, and a flashlight.  I've got piles upon piles of stuff stocked in the liquor store, but now that it's compromised, I'll be moving everything to another location.

Make sure you actually check.  Even with M67 ammo, my AK does considerably less damage on average than the M1911's .45 ACP.
How do you wear all that without being overburdened? Or are you?

Alternatively, can schizophrenia be cured by a purifier? I've had asthma cured but that's it.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: July 07, 2011, 08:36:05 pm »

That setup in particular is right at the limit.  It's 3 encumbrance on the torso and 1 on everything else.  It does bite into movement a bit, but by the time you accumulate this much stuff, you're skill enough that few foes are individually dangerous.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 777