Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260273 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #1920 on: July 17, 2011, 03:41:11 pm »

XD
I just saw the message if your terminal is too small.
I approve
*Hugs*

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: July 17, 2011, 04:20:42 pm »

So in my current game I'm on Day 6 and contemplating attacking a large (9 tile) Bee Hive. I've got an internal furnace, finger laser, blood filtration ethanal burner and 50 power worth of reserves. In addition I have a backup 1911 and Remington 870, boh with 2 stacks of ammo and a .22 pistol hidden around my safe-house somewhere (I'm camped out in my basement, since zombies seem not to come down stairs and my shotgun traps and bubble wrap is sufficient for any spawns). Is there any other equipment I should obtain before heading out to do battle with the insectoid menace?

EDIT: It's a bee hive, not an ant nest. That's why I was planning on going there...to get honey comb.
If your finger laser is enough to one shot bees, you're fine with a couple of bottles of booze. Just be careful to not set the whole hive on fire around you.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Twerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: July 17, 2011, 09:00:53 pm »

Yeah, I took on a bee hive and slaughtered an innumerable amount of bees with a USP 9mm from the very beginning of my game with no training and I barely even got scratched. You'll be fine with all that crap.
Free-to-play games are like the fountains in NetHack. At first, they look refreshing, but when you approach snakes pour out and eat you.

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: July 17, 2011, 09:01:06 pm »

So in my current game I'm on Day 6 and contemplating attacking a large (9 tile) Bee Hive. I've got an internal furnace, finger laser, blood filtration ethanal burner and 50 power worth of reserves. In addition I have a backup 1911 and Remington 870, boh with 2 stacks of ammo and a .22 pistol hidden around my safe-house somewhere (I'm camped out in my basement, since zombies seem not to come down stairs and my shotgun traps and bubble wrap is sufficient for any spawns). Is there any other equipment I should obtain before heading out to do battle with the insectoid menace?

EDIT: It's a bee hive, not an ant nest. That's why I was planning on going there...to get honey comb.
If your finger laser is enough to one shot bees, you're fine with a couple of bottles of booze. Just be careful to not set the whole hive on fire around you when you escape.
Fixed.  ;)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: July 17, 2011, 09:15:36 pm »

Newest god mode bionic. Sensory Dulling. Quickly brings you from max pain to zero.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Twerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: July 17, 2011, 10:04:43 pm »

Newest god mode bionic. Sensory Dulling. Quickly brings you from max pain to zero.
Is the "drowsiness and slowed reflexes" negligible?
Free-to-play games are like the fountains in NetHack. At first, they look refreshing, but when you approach snakes pour out and eat you.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: July 17, 2011, 10:21:29 pm »

I took it from extreme pain to no pain, and the only effect I saw was a -3% speed drop from painkillers.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: July 17, 2011, 11:10:38 pm »

2 words: adamantine claws. i was killing giant bees in one-hits and it was awesome.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: July 18, 2011, 12:44:57 am »

Doesn't, like, everything 1 hit kill giant bees though?

( <- never not one hit killed them in his recollection)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: July 18, 2011, 01:09:52 am »

i never one hit kill anything

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: July 18, 2011, 01:11:04 am »

One hit killing things actually kind of sucks, because they don't leave corpses. So no butchering, no meats, no pelts. D:

One of my character very quickly became a victim of his own success...

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: July 18, 2011, 01:34:04 am »

One hit killing things actually kind of sucks, because they don't leave corpses. So no butchering, no meats, no pelts. D:

One of my character very quickly became a victim of his own success...

Not *entirely* true.  A corpse will not be dropped if you reduce their HP to -51 or less, or to 0 - (their max HP * 2), whichever is less.  So a zombie won't drop a corpse if you hit them down to -100 HP, and a squirrel won't drop a corpse if you hit them down to -51.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: July 18, 2011, 01:55:22 am »

How much strength do you have? With 20 Str and a Sledgehammer I'm still getting corpses from most zombies.

If all else fails, you can always turn to using low-caliber firearms, or even BBs.

Edit: I *think* I've found a survivor settlement, but there aren't any survivors. I've looted the shops - which all had items that said "owned" - and nothing happened.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 02:08:19 am by Blaze »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: July 18, 2011, 02:13:00 am »

Yes, that's a settlement. All the NPCs are disabled, so they're basically just massive loot piles and easily fortified homes.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: July 18, 2011, 02:22:32 am »

Hooray, I finally managed to survive a night without being found by zombies!

Happened upon a pile of dead scientists in an intersection right near my house, which was awesome.  Got a ton of water, a power supply, a battery boost and a hazmat unit, along with like three bottles of purifier off of them.  A dead army squad spawned in a little field right near them, too - got me some sweet pants and armor off them.  :D

A tricked out, completely silent SKS has helped me considerably with my zombie encounters so far, though I don't think I'm gonna have enough ammo for it for much longer.  I'm pretty inaccurate with it, and even if the shots hit they usually do <20 damage.

Encountered a bear, responded with fire.  I think the meat and stuff got caught out in an acid rain, though...

So far, it's seemed to me that the biggest factor in item management has been the 52-item limit.  I know you're working on stacking, which would help, but are there plans to NOT have all items bound to an a-Z key?
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 777