Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263553 times)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2070 on: July 19, 2011, 05:54:08 pm »

I actually enjoyed the on edge direness of the situation, though I imagine that it would get old rather quickly. Maybe those swarms need nerfed *a bit*

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: July 19, 2011, 05:57:18 pm »

Hey what do you use experience for, I've got like 5000 (found a bunch of whiskey and marijuana) so I really need to be able to spend it on something.
Using a skill puts XP into that skill.  I am also planning to let the player use large amounts of XP (on the order of thousands or tens of thousands) to improve their stats, craft an artifact, take a new trait, etc.
This sounds awesome. It would cetainly motivate the players to keep happy, since it is now pretty easy.
Perhaps also sacrificing it for a temporary effect, like a quick boost for fleeing and so. Basically "Last Measure" stuff.

And ... artifacts? Do want!

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: July 19, 2011, 06:13:04 pm »

I am also planning to let the player use large amounts of XP (on the order of thousands or tens of thousands) to improve their stats, craft an artifact, take a new trait, etc.

I'd implement those character modification functions through a weird machine found only in science labs. Something like a GOD MACHINE*! :o

*Name optional

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: July 19, 2011, 06:18:04 pm »

Thanks for code-diving!  This is accurate as far as I remember.  Generally you won't need the extra help from a bed unless you're an insomniac, not very tired, coked up, etc.

Sleeping is a disease, yes--this is a result of poorly-chosen variable/function names on my part.  When I created "diseases" it was intended to be used for just that--common cold, flu, fungitis, etc.  Then I realized that the same system would work great for things like boomer-blindness, being on fire... and even beneficial things, like sleeping, having painkillers in your system, etc.  Maybe one day I'll rename it to "temp_effect" or something.
Just had my first trans town swamp experience. "theres no zombies around here, im so far from the city!"  BAMMOTHERFUCKGIANTCENTIPEDE MOSQUITO TOAD ATTACK. I died quickly.

Yes, swamps are deadly--perhaps too much so.  Mosquitos are a pretty good reason to keep a shotgun handy ;)
To the first, Whales, I wouldn't worry about it. Many games that have either drugs or diseases start by labeling that set of code as drugs or disease, and then when non drugs and diseases get hooked on, they don't change it. I know HellMOO considers being on fire a drug.

As for the danger of swamps, I personally think they're good. You're in the middle of a zombie attack. Moving into an area where the ground is soggy and impedes movement is suicide, and depending on where you are, even WITHOUT mutated animals it can be nasty.

Stealth Edit: Also I second FunctionZero's idea of last resort effects, since a generally happy person would be more likely to pour effort into getting away and generally surviving even after the short term happiness is gone.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Kilowatt

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: July 19, 2011, 06:23:17 pm »

The Parkour trait should let you move through broken windows unimpeded, and lower your chance of cutting yourself on the glass. Its uses in jumping fences and counters are pretty limited as it stands (Or rather, there are rather few situations in which they are) , and I think this would make the perk more useful. I don't know about you guys, but windows are my preferred entry and exit points for a building.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: July 19, 2011, 06:23:38 pm »

Fire is one crazy drug, atleast you can't get addicted to it easily.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: July 19, 2011, 06:26:00 pm »

I just started playing this game and I MUST say, it made me two hours late getting back to work. The way I see it, that means this game is bloody AWESOME.

I just LOVE how many items there are, though I'm a jack-of-all-trades type and I hate not being able to do a bit of everything(weight/volume limits...). The lack of volume/weight allowance in the beginning sucks, though I eventually find cargo pants and a jacket, maybe a bag.

How do I mix bleach and ammonia to make poisonous gas a-la-nazi-death-camp? It says you can do it, but how?

Btw, NEVER POUR GAS ON THE GROUND NEAR A GAS STATION AND LIGHT IT. I died after the 4th consecutive explosion...

Ah, and setting a house on fire is a !!FUN!! touch, I'm curious as to whether it attracts enemies to the area! I'd assume setting a fire would attract unwanted attention because of the light.

Would be awesome if eventually an undercroft/sewer/tomb/cavern system was implemented so we could mine into the ground, bust open gratings and manholes and find all sorts of hidden goodies, ;)
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: July 19, 2011, 06:27:35 pm »

I believe to do more of the noxious gas type stuff you have to level up your cooking skill, since it also applies to chemical type craftables. I've only been able to make a teargas canister, but I haven't tried it out yet.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: July 19, 2011, 06:28:09 pm »

You get enough steps to walk away from the gas pumps, so it could be a GREAT way to kill a large horde of zombies, last ditch effort.

I just chose to do !!science!! by entering the actual station to see if it'd destroy the walls or set enough on fire. Little did I know it spewed a LOT more fire than I expected, to both my satisfaction and dismay.

Explosions make me happy ;)
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

KimeK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: July 19, 2011, 06:29:52 pm »

I just entered my first lab!
yeah, I died.

Also, can I ask in what language is this coded? I'd loved to get into modding this, so much potencial!

Also, bug: if you use, say, a lighter, but when it's asking for the direction you cancel it, it still consumes a "charge".

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: July 19, 2011, 06:30:05 pm »

I believe to do more of the noxious gas type stuff you have to level up your cooking skill, since it also applies to chemical type craftables. I've only been able to make a teargas canister, but I haven't tried it out yet.

I found one of those in a house, along with a .45 pistol, though I never got the chance to find out if I can activate and throw it like a grenade, or if I need a weapon to fire it from, or if...

Ooooh, trap idea. Tripwire trap with grenade/gas canister sounds like fun.

Kilowatt

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: July 19, 2011, 06:31:38 pm »

yeah, I died.

Also, can I ask in what language is this coded? I'd loved to get into modding this, so much potencial!

Also, bug: if you use, say, a lighter, but when it's asking for the direction you cancel it, it still consumes a "charge".

C++. I've been reading up on it as of late, and the fact that this was open source and in C++ was only more convenient.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: July 19, 2011, 06:31:49 pm »

I wonder if I'm the only one who's thought of DF-style continuation stories, since the world is constant...

Is it possible to give people your saves and conserve everything in the meantime? I'd LOVE some post-apocalyptic succession games :) Leave some traps, some goodies, etc for whoever's next ;D

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: July 19, 2011, 06:32:29 pm »

What's in science labs? I've been playing a while, but I've never managed to get in one

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: July 19, 2011, 06:34:47 pm »

yeah, I died.

C++. I've been reading up on it as of late, and the fact that this was open source and in C++ was only more convenient.

I'm thinking of reading up on C++ as well. With no prior programming knowledge, how difficult would it be to pick up? I've been meaning to get into programming for, oh, the last 10 years. My father was a programmer and I've always been hardcore into computers, just always been too lazy to learn it myself.

I've got hundreds of pages of fantasy and scifi items, places, gods, my own language with its own alphabet as well, and all sorts of plot ideas as well as short stories and a pretty well-made novel series' universe, so I may as well code a damn rpg game myself or with others, as I'm too much of a perfectionist to ever actually publish my novels, due to constantly changing everything, adding new universes, gods, sub-plots, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 777