Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260396 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #4410 on: August 04, 2011, 12:00:05 am »

Schizophrenia is a lot more threatening of a trait than I initially thought. Sure, it starts off harmless enough, but if you fail to find any Thorazine before the Insanity Storm (when you really start to lose touch with reality and random bits begin appearing everywhere until you get Thorazine), things get bad fast.

Not especially. One of my characters had that happen to her nearly immediately after starting. She survived until I got bored, and those hallucinations lasted for so long I got used to the visual effect and was actually disoriented when they were gone.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4411 on: August 04, 2011, 12:11:08 am »

Ah, my first death.

Went in a police station, tried to hack the computer to open evidence locker. Set off alarm. Walked out and got acid in my face from a spitter zombie then swarmed by BEARS.

Not sure if they were zombie bears or what, just said bears. I killed one of them with my SMG before the other three ripped me limb from limb.

I had just finally found a backpack too, and an mp3 player to use with all the batteries I had been carrying. At least I died while listening to music.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 12:12:57 am by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: August 04, 2011, 12:18:09 am »

Ah, my first death.

Went in a police station, tried to hack the computer to open evidence locker. Set off alarm. Walked out and got acid in my face from a spitter zombie then swarmed by BEARS.

Not sure if they were zombie bears or what, just said bears. I killed one of them with my SMG before the other three ripped me limb from limb.

I had just finally found a backpack too, and an mp3 player to use with all the batteries I had been carrying. At least I died while listening to music.

Damn, the RNG hates you!  Bears are almost always solitary.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: August 04, 2011, 12:28:17 am »

Ah, my first death.

Damn, the RNG hates you!
Hehehe, the most common developers' excuse ;).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: August 04, 2011, 12:30:08 am »

Ah, my first death.

Damn, the RNG hates you!

What about "That's the Windows version, not my fault!"

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: August 04, 2011, 12:32:24 am »

Ah, my first death.

Damn, the RNG hates you!

It's more or less your fault because you allowed us to have that ;D.

But yeah, back on topic, I've never seen more than one bear. The one bear which mauled me to death because two zombie necromancers were resurrecting him :(. Shouldn't they affect zombies only?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dr. Wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • FrogFrog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: August 04, 2011, 12:38:49 am »

Yeah, it's an effect of the schizophrenia.
Too bad my character thought it was real and still got the negative effects.
I got killed by a dude who presumably has three balls.
Were you playing Borderlands?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: August 04, 2011, 12:43:28 am »

A few minutes into my first play through, my character is equipped with an alcohol powered laser from his android trait. I was just chased out of a liquor store but made off with a bottle of vodka. I'm now taking shots at zombies as they bash down the door to get at the room I'm at. Shots in 2 meanings of the word.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: August 04, 2011, 12:51:26 am »

Ah, my first death.

Damn, the RNG hates you!

It's more or less your fault because you allowed us to have that ;D.

But yeah, back on topic, I've never seen more than one bear. The one bear which mauled me to death because two zombie necromancers were resurrecting him :(. Shouldn't they affect zombies only?

Yes, they should.  Fixing soon.

Yeah, it's an effect of the schizophrenia.
Too bad my character thought it was real and still got the negative effects.

Ever see the movie Bug
Spoiler: Movie Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: August 04, 2011, 01:41:49 am »

Hey whales, how long do you think until the next version?

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: August 04, 2011, 02:24:33 am »

I like this game because I never thought about what it would be like to be running from a horde of zombies while blind as a bat because my glasses broke while hyped up on cocaine, frantically searching every house I pass for another pair and hallucinating about killing my mother until now.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

AVE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: August 04, 2011, 02:49:09 am »

Hey whales, how long do you think until the next version?
Next version is actually any day when on linux (just resync with git and recompile and viola! - you got the latest version). When on Windows - either use Virtualbox (perfect solution for moderately speedy computer capable of running VBox and supporting other tasks as well) or wait for headswe to update and recompile.

P.S. Whales, I have an urge to somewhat "clean" your sources. Not in terms of fixing errors, but in terms of some "inconsistencies". First thing that springs to mind is newcharacter.cpp. There you have #define TRAIT_CAP 3 and use it only in preset or random generation. But custom generation uses fixed number instead. So, I've made a quick patch:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Why I'm making that change? Hmm, the story is simple. A while ago I've committed some patches to the ToME 3 (fixing some bugs in alchemist code, and in ToME 4 he was removed due to being quite OP even in midgame), and their code policy was so nice that I started to use it in my projects. And it helped immensely.

If you like this changes, I can continue the work on reviewing your code and fix the same "inconsistencies" everywhere I can find them.

P.P.S. BTW, Whales, what do you think about moving your items,monsters, recipes, and just everything to the raws, like in DF? Quite hard work, yes, but it pays for itself in the nearest future.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 07:07:33 am by AVE »

erendor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: August 04, 2011, 03:20:21 am »

I found 'bank alley'!  Three banks in a nine square area on the map.  Also four more within 5-10 squares of those three.
Financial district, I suppose!

And then ouch, I was dropped to ONE torso HP and chased halfway across town by a spitter zombie and his posse of triffids, before I managed to lead them into a fire I'd started earlier.

The thing that saved me was realising that my motorcycle helmet was slowing me down.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:50:59 am by erendor »

Ordokai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: August 04, 2011, 04:34:00 am »

I like this game because I never thought about what it would be like to be running from a horde of zombies while blind as a bat because my glasses broke while hyped up on cocaine, frantically searching every house I pass for another pair and hallucinating about killing my mother until now.

welcome, its what we do here.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 04:57:59 am by Ordokai »

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: August 04, 2011, 05:53:15 am »

How do i get power to use my bionics? my pow is 0
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 777