Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263157 times)

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #4485 on: August 04, 2011, 03:12:13 pm »

EXTREMELY large (effectively infinite?)

A bit like Minecraft
If only the map was infinite.

It's definitely longer than your life span, puny human. Do not underestimate computers and what you can do with 64 bits of tiles. xD

Also, Whales, Z-levels? I hope you mean connection like stairs instead of DF-like Z-levels, (that is, moving the game to a 3D cube instead of a 2D rectangle). You can see from DF that it's extremely painful to navigate isolated 2D slices of a 3D world.

Correct.  When I talk about Z-levels I mean vertical levels as they are found in traditional roguelikes like nethack and crawl.  Of course, Z-levels have their difficulties here, too, with things like stair navigation for monsters and proper monster generation...
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: August 04, 2011, 03:17:38 pm »

A bit like Minecraft

It's definitely longer than your life span, puny human. Do not underestimate computers and what you can do with 64 bits of tiles. xD

Also, Whales, Z-levels? I hope you mean connection like stairs instead of DF-like Z-levels, (that is, moving the game to a 3D cube instead of a 2D rectangle). You can see from DF that it's extremely painful to navigate isolated 2D slices of a 3D world.

Correct.  When I talk about Z-levels I mean vertical levels as they are found in traditional roguelikes like nethack and crawl.  Of course, Z-levels have their difficulties here, too, with things like stair navigation for monsters and proper monster generation...

Phew, you scared me there for a moment :P
About that, I think Qud uses that approach by simulating the two concurrent areas. I think it discards the areas around and only uses the last way in/out.  And on that matter I think it only simulates space surrounding the stairs or map edges. You can try something like that, perhaps.
Simulating areas far from the player's eyeballs is not too fruitful, you just need to make them believe you simulated them, in case NPCs have that much reach in the future. (With reach I mean the power to alter the map a lot and far from the player's field of effect).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:22:02 pm by DalGren »
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: August 04, 2011, 03:21:55 pm »

A bit like Minecraft

Phew, you scared me there for a moment :P
About that, I think Qud uses that approach by simulating the two concurrent areas. I think it discards the areas around and only uses the last way in/out.  And on that matter I think it only simulates space surrounding the stairs or map edges. You can try something like that, perhaps.
Simulating areas far from the player's eyeballs is not too fruitful, you just need to make them believe you simulated them, in case NPCs have that much reach in the future.

Currently, an extremely tiny area around the player is simulated, and only on the same Z-level.  I'll probably be expanding that to the level above/below the player as well, or perhaps when you traverse stairs, monsters near stairs will calculate how long it'd take them to reach the stairs, and appear that many turns later.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: August 04, 2011, 03:25:22 pm »

Currently, an extremely tiny area around the player is simulated, and only on the same Z-level.  I'll probably be expanding that to the level above/below the player as well, or perhaps when you traverse stairs, monsters near stairs will calculate how long it'd take them to reach the stairs, and appear that many turns later.

Ah, that sounds like a good approach, actually! And sounds efficient too.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: August 04, 2011, 03:34:11 pm »

Are lightning-bolts sentient or did I have a really bad roll of the die?

Anyway, I love your game. Cookies for all!  :D
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

erick1294

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: August 04, 2011, 04:13:55 pm »

The game is great, i already got 6 days on the online server and i got my main fort settled, i got all sort of things, and traps too. I surrounded my house's windows and doors with holes and use smell traps to make zombies stay away from the door
I constantly have to go looking for food, it would be better if i had a hotplate so my character doesn't get depressed for eating raw meat, and i got already 5500 XP, is there something else i can do with those besides training? also i can't find hot plates anywhere on the online version, which is severely outdated. Are the hotplates located on grocery stores, because to my dismay the map i spawned in got almost no shops, even scouting the surrounding areas, there were just 1 grocery store.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4491 on: August 04, 2011, 04:26:06 pm »

hotplates are common in sporting goods shops.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: August 04, 2011, 04:37:37 pm »

Wtf i was walking arouind after healing my injuries then it said Your breath completly stops walkikng and i died, random o.o?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: August 04, 2011, 04:39:15 pm »

Wtf i was walking arouind after healing my injuries then it said Your breath completly stops walkikng and i died, random o.o?
Were you doing alot of drugs? Did you take multiple shots of heroin? Chances are you just ODed.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

erick1294

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: August 04, 2011, 05:13:34 pm »

It was pretty hilarious how i ended my first house though, the zombies didn't let me sleep at night bashing at my barricades and i got MAD like ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  DAMNIT, F$!%$ ZOMBIES LET ME SLEEP and i teared the boards and threw a molotov at the window, i still think it was the right choise since there were 1 zombie brute a necromancer and like 5 zombies, so my house started burning and it got to my alcohold supply, i took all i could take on my backpack and went to my next house

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: August 04, 2011, 05:26:38 pm »

Were you doing alot of drugs? Did you take multiple shots of heroin? Chances are you just ODed.

LOL yeah i popped lots of pills

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: August 04, 2011, 06:56:55 pm »

Does storing perishable food stuff (Fruits, vegetable, etc) increase their life? Or is there technically no power in buildings? 
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #4497 on: August 04, 2011, 07:04:48 pm »

Does storing perishable food stuff (Fruits, vegetable, etc) increase their life? Or is there technically no power in buildings? 
Your buildings are powerless.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: August 04, 2011, 07:11:40 pm »

Your buildings are powerless.
Yeah, there is currently no way to store foods so that they don't rot. Although refrigerators/coolers would make a pretty cool addition, and its likely that Whales might already have a way to store food planned.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

erick1294

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: August 04, 2011, 07:26:03 pm »

I'd really like to get another use for XP since i usually get tons of it in 2 or 3 days, is there anything else i can do with them?
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 777