Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263066 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #4785 on: August 08, 2011, 03:23:36 pm »

Idea for bars.

Kegtap. Mounted piece that replaces a section of bar counter, fills any container that can hold liquid with one drink of warm, nearly flat beer. Very low morale boost, can't be used for molotovs, and increases thirst the same as any other alcohol.
Actually beer reduces thirst.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4786 on: August 08, 2011, 03:26:39 pm »

It depends on the beer, but usually beer has enough water in it to reduce thirst.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #4787 on: August 08, 2011, 03:27:08 pm »

Idea for bars.

Kegtap. Mounted piece that replaces a section of bar counter, fills any container that can hold liquid with one drink of warm, nearly flat beer. Very low morale boost, can't be used for molotovs, and increases thirst the same as any other alcohol.
Actually beer reduces thirst.
Just as well, I'd expect that diluted alcohol would by slightly quenching as well, right?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4788 on: August 08, 2011, 03:57:43 pm »

Deon,

Downloaded your mod and was playing with it. Accidentally hit A at one point and it closed and lost my save. Found it was repeatable, A closed the game instantly without saving (crash I guess?).

I looked in the source and found

if (ch == 'A') {
    #ifdef __SDL
    pdc_toggle_fullscreen();
    wrefresh(w_open);
    refresh();
    #endif
   }

Not quite sure what that's trying to do, but it crashes the game for me. Trying to compile your source I can't even compile it due to getting the error "'pdc_toggle_fullscreen' was not declared in this scope." I don't know enough about programming to know what the problem is, though.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4789 on: August 08, 2011, 04:02:17 pm »

That looms like a PD curses function that toggle full screen, which doen's seem to work with the version of PDCurses you have. just comment it out or put if (false) and you'll be fine.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: August 08, 2011, 04:45:36 pm »

Deon,

Downloaded your mod and was playing with it. Accidentally hit A at one point and it closed and lost my save. Found it was repeatable, A closed the game instantly without saving (crash I guess?).

I looked in the source and found

if (ch == 'A') {
    #ifdef __SDL
    pdc_toggle_fullscreen();
    wrefresh(w_open);
    refresh();
    #endif
   }

Not quite sure what that's trying to do, but it crashes the game for me. Trying to compile your source I can't even compile it due to getting the error "'pdc_toggle_fullscreen' was not declared in this scope." I don't know enough about programming to know what the problem is, though.

Go to output.h and change the line

#define __CURSES

with

#define __SDL

Doing so, it compiles and the program reads deon's tileset properly, preventing some awful graphic glitches (but this don't prevent the crash, I think)

Guys, linux is the way. Windows is developers' hell.  :P
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 04:48:37 pm by Drevlin »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: August 08, 2011, 05:10:37 pm »

Changing that just comes up with a new error, telling me A_TILESET was not declared.

Does Deon's source compile alright for everyone else? Was able to compile headswe's source easy enough, is there some extra settings I need to tweak to get Deon's compiled?

Had another issue with Deon's mod. For some reason a bank map failed to generate and just created a big empty floor area. Maybe I should just go back to the ASCII :)
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: August 08, 2011, 05:17:29 pm »

Have you followed CIB's instructions? Here's the thread
You must compile the modified version of pdcurses library, and if you are using code blocks, be careful to modify "lib" and "include" paths. Here it's explained how to change the settings.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: August 08, 2011, 05:25:18 pm »

Ah, I didn't even look at that other tileset mod. Just downloaded Deon's mod and looked at his thread, never realized it had a dependency on CIB's modified pdcurses.

Heh, now I can't figure out how to get the modified pdcurses to compile. Trying the "make -f Makefile.mng" from the MinGW shell tells me

Code: [Select]
gcc -02 -Wall -I.. -c ../pdcurses/addch.c
cpp: too many input files
make: *** [addch.o] Error 1
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 05:59:12 pm by Paul »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4794 on: August 08, 2011, 07:38:58 pm »

As far is inventory, maybe it's time to implement a more complicated system. One that tracks how your storing stuff, what in, etc. For example, when you find a hammer, you could hang it through a loop on your pants, or you could put it in a pocket, or you could put it in your bag, or you could hold it in your hand, etc. Each of these would have different effects, for example if you put it in your bag it will be very secure and if you have to fight you can just drop the bag, but if you want to use it you have to dig it out.

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: August 08, 2011, 07:57:16 pm »

As far is inventory, maybe it's time to implement a more complicated system. One that tracks how your storing stuff, what in, etc. For example, when you find a hammer, you could hang it through a loop on your pants, or you could put it in a pocket, or you could put it in your bag, or you could hold it in your hand, etc. Each of these would have different effects, for example if you put it in your bag it will be very secure and if you have to fight you can just drop the bag, but if you want to use it you have to dig it out.

I like the current inventory system. The reason an inventory system like what you described works in other games (such as Dwarf Fortress) is because you don't carry a crapton of stuff like in Cataclysm. Sounds like a good idea for a mod though.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4796 on: August 08, 2011, 08:06:31 pm »

Yeah, I don't know if I'm up to that, though. I'm still working myself up to adding electronics stores.

also- I just got attacked by a wolf pack. I see them coming, go "Oh Shit!" Light a molotov... It goes out the same turn. as in, both lines of text are still red. I barely managed to get inside a liquor store, and use the doorway as a choke point. I survived, but it gave me quite the square.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: August 08, 2011, 08:29:06 pm »

Gah, somebody is making alts and spamming other stuff.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 08:31:39 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: August 08, 2011, 08:29:51 pm »

This is something that's been mentioned before, and I'm not into it.  It seems like just a lot of micromanagement and un-fun busywork for the player, and like pandamage says, in Cataclysm you tend to carry a lot of items.  I'd rather just abstract inventory as a total amount of space, without requiring the player to shuffle items around constantly.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4799 on: August 08, 2011, 08:42:10 pm »

And later, I get killed by a wolf. While I don't have a any body part lower than yellow. aaaaaarrgh, wolves!

Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 777