Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263003 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #4905 on: August 09, 2011, 10:19:21 pm »

A certain story of my adventures with the random terrain. It's a bit long, but I wrote more for suspense and enjoyment than for observational reasons, so I hope you enjoy! It is, of course, a spoiler, but all good stories are!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4906 on: August 09, 2011, 11:15:55 pm »

A certain story of my adventures with the random terrain. It's a bit long, but I wrote more for suspense and enjoyment than for observational reasons, so I hope you enjoy! It is, of course, a spoiler, but all good stories are!

« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:21:41 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: August 09, 2011, 11:39:42 pm »

I thought more of it as a stoner trap, a trap set by cannibals to catch stoners to eat.

A high person wouldn't notice the shotgun rigged to a tripwire...
That's more or less exactly what I said :P
Because in our minds it's the perfect way to see it. :P

I also like thinking of "Shhh... I'm huntin' stoners" in Elmer Thud's voice :P
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:41:54 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: August 10, 2011, 01:51:34 am »

Whats the map teleport? I'm stuck in a wall.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Saurus33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: August 10, 2011, 03:08:20 am »

Depending on your version, either go the the overmap and press "Enter" at your intended destination, or press "Z" at your intended destination. I don't have the latest version, so I can't guarantee the second one.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: August 10, 2011, 04:26:58 am »

Press Z to open the cheat menu and 3 to select the long distance teleport option.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: August 10, 2011, 08:44:57 am »

So I was walking down a road in the middle of nowhere for god knows why when I noticed my character was getting pretty hungry. As I was basically chased out of town by a pursuing zombie horde I had little to no supplies to speak of and it was looking bleak. All the sudden I noticed a squirrel in the distance on the road and decide squirrel meat is better than no meat. Que me chasing a squirrel down the highway. I just about to get in melee range so I can bash it and dine on delicious squirrel flesh when out of nowhere "BOOM". The squirrel is nowhere to be seen (My precious squirrel meat!) and only a crater remains where the squirrel use to be. Had I not chased after the squirrel I more than likely would have been exploded by the very same mine since my character had very low perception and the minefield was smack dab in the center of the road I was walking on.

Moral of the story? Squirrels make great minesweepers.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: August 10, 2011, 09:06:03 am »

I think you're confusing rubble, which is grey, with wreckage, which is blue.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: August 10, 2011, 10:27:52 am »

I've decided to try a new challenge, no melee. None. Guns, bombs, traps or running away.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: August 10, 2011, 10:57:06 am »

Ah, you're probably right. I don't think I've seen rubble on a road, I thought he meant the wreckage.

I'm finishing up a reloading mod that lets you take apart bullets for components and craft new bullets. You also automatically save your empty casings when firing a gun, which you could then reload using powder lead and primers from other similar bullets. It uses two new tools, which I intend to add to gun shops. The kinetic bullet puller, and the hand press. I simplified it for purposes of gameplay, so just the generic hand press lets you make any ammo (except .22, since it's rimfire and can't be reloaded). Have it using gun and mechanics skill, with higher skill levels for the higher end bullets (like 9mm +P+ takes 6 mechanics and guns).

It's a bit abstract, since I just made up all the material amounts as I went along. For sake of gameplay I just made all the bullet categories use the same casings, even when in reality they wouldn't (like the 10mm auto and the .40 S&W - the game treats them both as just .40 ammo so I just made them both a generic .40 casing). Have the powder divided into pistol and rifle, and the primers divided into shotgun, small pistol, large pistol, small rifle, large rifle. For the bullets themselves I just made a generic lead that can be taken from any ammunition. Also not quite sure what to do with incendiary rounds, should I make a special incendiary material that you get from taking them apart and require it when making them?

I'm debating whether or not to simplify primers more, since some of them are a bit restrictive. Only 223 and 5.7x28mm use small rifle primers, and the 5.7x28mm is kinda rare - so you almost have to have 223 ammo to make 223 ammo. Same with shotgun primers, you have to have shotgun ammo to make shotgun ammo. It's still useful to change ammo to your preferred type, like birdshot to 00 shot. What do you guys think?

I might just add the primers to the gun shops, that way you might find a big box of 200 of your primers and can take apart other ammo types for the lead and powder - and I won't have to simplify it.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: August 10, 2011, 11:11:18 am »

What sort of effect does the "Terrifying" trait actually have? I couldn't tell much of a difference the one time I tried it.

Also, are there any skills or traits that are currently useless? I'm guessing bartering's not worth much when there's no NPCs around.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: August 10, 2011, 12:12:07 pm »

Huh, well theres a problem. Got my mod finished, can take apart every bullet type and get the appropriate casing when firing bullets. But all the recipes that flow off screen don't function. Even with Drevlin's crafting menu scroll patch.

Guess I'll have to dig through the crafting menu and figure out why...

-edit- Ah, there it is. If anyone is trying to get a long recipe list working, heres the hitch that Drevlin's scroll patch didn't catch:

Code: [Select]
for (int i = 0; i < current.size() && i < 22; i++) {That's limiting the recipes to 22. I increased it and now all my recipes function. Huzzah.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:18:20 pm by Paul »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: August 10, 2011, 12:14:58 pm »

What sort of effect does the "Terrifying" trait actually have? I couldn't tell much of a difference the one time I tried it.

Also, are there any skills or traits that are currently useless? I'm guessing bartering's not worth much when there's no NPCs around.
I think speech is useless right now.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: August 10, 2011, 01:55:31 pm »

I think if you made the box of 200 primers decently common enough for usefulness, and possibly simplify them into three groups (shotgun, pistol, rifle) so that you aren't stuck in a have rifle primers but not the right rifle primers problem a lot, it would work well, Paul. But how much mechanics does it require to open ammo?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: August 10, 2011, 01:58:13 pm »

Huh, well theres a problem. Got my mod finished, can take apart every bullet type and get the appropriate casing when firing bullets. But all the recipes that flow off screen don't function. Even with Drevlin's crafting menu scroll patch.

Guess I'll have to dig through the crafting menu and figure out why...

-edit- Ah, there it is. If anyone is trying to get a long recipe list working, heres the hitch that Drevlin's scroll patch didn't catch:

for (int i = 0; i < current.size() && i < 22; i++) {That's limiting the recipes to 22. I increased it and now all my recipes function. Huzzah.

That's odd, there is no such line in my patch... There is one line that is similar:

for (int i = 0; i < current.size() && i < 23; i++)
But it handles cases in which there are less than 23 recipes in the screen, and that's not your case.
Have you changed game::pick_recipes() function perhaps?
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 777