Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263303 times)

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #5055 on: August 12, 2011, 12:23:24 am »

I was actually thinking of capping starting stats rather low, maybe within the 4-12 range, to limit min/maxing.  Or at least, charging 3 points to increase beyond 12, and 5 beyond 16, so that if you want a super-strong character it's doable, but they'd be very specialized.

Capping starting stats at 12 would seriously gimp to techie/crafting type characters. No more running to to library and speed reading electronics and computers in order to start setting up turrets.... That said, a cap at 13/14 would be fine.

Speaking of which, this game has a SERIOUS lack of hats (and other interesting clothing items).

Where's my tux? Fedora? Top hat? Monocle? Sun hat? Range hats? Beer hats? (With storage!)

I would love to have umbrellas, pajamas, slippers, leather vests, shorts and shinguards added.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5056 on: August 12, 2011, 12:26:10 am »

I can almost imagine once he npc arc comes around for a series of semi background stats (whales would most likely tell us) such as strange, intimidating,attractive etc that would marginally to moderately influence npcs depending on their sociopath degree (would be another stat which graduates from a large number meaning someone who cares really dearly for social standings and such [rare], to 0 which is total lack of caring of socialites beyond themself [also rare]), and then apply their preferences (like intimidating people? Is afraid of? Dislikes? etc) and then draw an interaction output from all of that. The semi background social stats could be influenced by what your wearing (fedora is plus some attractive and small amont of strange etc., sunglasses add small amount of mysteriousness, etc. etc.) or how you rolled as a person, as well as your traits and strdexintper stats.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: August 12, 2011, 12:44:54 am »

Or walking up to a npc in a ninja costume. +strange indeed.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: August 12, 2011, 01:33:17 am »

As far as XP goes, i thought that as positive morale raises the XP negative could drain it down, so even on higher levels you wouldn't have a big xp pool but would struggle to keep it up to gain your skills. It would also make you think twice about stuffing your face with raw tained meat while walking around in rain without raincoat.

And on  top of that repeating some things like listening to music over and over, would bring you less morale (or a kind of cooldown) so you would be forced to use more varied ways to keep your morale up.

Oh i know it was already suggested but pain should make a severe hit to your morale.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5059 on: August 12, 2011, 01:53:21 am »

1:Hulks. I've got a tiny .22 pistol and pretty much no melee skills or weapons...
2:Oh wait! I'm a level 3 cook!
3:*Gropes and squeezes his zombie pherapods. Hulk runs off and beats the shit out of his teamates, then gets it's senses runs back to chasing me.*
4:Ohshit!
5: Repeat numbers 2, 3, 4, and 5 until the hulk is finally beaten down by it's teamates.
I friggin love pherapods.

Saurus33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: August 12, 2011, 02:23:48 am »

Is it normal to do 140-150 damage to hulks with pistols, while having no skill with such?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: August 12, 2011, 02:25:16 am »

Is it normal to do 140-150 damage to hulks with pistols, while having no skill with such?

What holy weapon is this?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Saurus33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: August 12, 2011, 02:32:08 am »

A USP.45 loaded with .45 Super.

AVE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: August 12, 2011, 02:34:09 am »

What holy weapon is this?
Headshot, actually.

Also, Whales, write something at cataclysmff! I've got some threads there, and can't finish "crafting can use items nearby" without your answer on a bug (or is that a feature?).

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: August 12, 2011, 02:36:29 am »

Well, somebody who never held a gun will headshots you...would it hurt less if an skilled marksman headshooted you? ...the only difference is the first person will more likely to miss.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5065 on: August 12, 2011, 02:55:53 am »

Well, somebody who never held a gun will headshots you...would it hurt less if an skilled marksman headshooted you? ...the only difference is the first person will more likely to miss.
The first person is also more likely to score a grazing shot vs a full on shot than a skilled marksman would usually get.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: August 12, 2011, 04:26:24 am »

The first person is also more likely to score a grazing shot vs a full on shot than a skilled marksman would usually get.

Dealing 140-150 damage wasn't probably a grazing shot.  ;)

Ordokai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: August 12, 2011, 05:11:03 am »

As far as XP goes, i thought that as positive morale raises the XP negative could drain it down, so even on higher levels you wouldn't have a big xp pool but would struggle to keep it up to gain your skills. It would also make you think twice about stuffing your face with raw tained meat while walking around in rain without raincoat.

And on  top of that repeating some things like listening to music over and over, would bring you less morale (or a kind of cooldown) so you would be forced to use more varied ways to keep your morale up.

Oh i know it was already suggested but pain should make a severe hit to your morale.

I like and fully support these suggestions

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: August 12, 2011, 06:53:08 am »

Yes! Fezzes are cool! (The Doctor said so)

Fezzes are cool indeed. And bowties. I am more stealthy with my Doctor Who references, if you check some of my posts you will find them xD

On the matter of things that are lacking, in terms of alcoholic beverages, I find it odd that there is no beer or wine. You are more likely to find that in a house or market than the "heavier weights" (rum, tequila, stuff over 25%) since they are cheaper and widely available. (I don't really care as I just use alcohol as weapon, but there's that)

About kulik's suggestion, there are several types of character builds that would be unplayable like that. Try a schizo and watch "your mother" get in the middle at random. Or a hoarder. Or someone with addictive personality who can only use basic morale boosts (food, mp3 and marijuana, that's mostly all) . Or a...you get the point.

Seems people are bothered about having high XP, but that XP is not a currency you can use automagically to raise skills and stuff. You aren't automatically overpowered for having high XP, you have no advantage at all unless you train your skills (if you got books, it's all fine and dandy, training your dodge or other skills is not so "effortless")
And it kind of makes sense the way it is now (it's just lacking in variety, something obvious due to the release status of Cataclysm), I mean, list me a few games where XP doesn't keep going up. It's "experience" after all. Not even low morale can make you forget your experiences IRL.
Know what? If you want to play like that...make it a defect to pick up. Alzheimer's. It's basically what you suggest there.

(I get the strange feeling players are abusing morale boosters in form of potent, addictive drugs. Perhaps a real way to balance would be making abstinence syndrome hit as hard as in real life with -100 penalties to morale and stat downs, and pain.)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 07:09:35 am by DalGren »
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

AVE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: August 12, 2011, 07:11:28 am »

there is no beer
What about "a can of root beer"?
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 777