Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263186 times)

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #5070 on: August 12, 2011, 07:13:33 am »

there is no beer
What about "a can of root beer"?

Hmmm, to be honest I don't know root beer, since it's not available in my country. But, wasn't root beer something totally different from beer, like a soft drink kids can drink?
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5071 on: August 12, 2011, 07:22:16 am »

there is no beer
What about "a can of root beer"?

Hmmm, to be honest I don't know root beer, since it's not available in my country. But, wasn't root beer something totally different from beer, like a soft drink kids can drink?
Pretty much.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5072 on: August 12, 2011, 07:24:56 am »

It's like Ginger beer! That's the Australian equivalent, at least. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5073 on: August 12, 2011, 07:31:35 am »

Totally offtopic but I'd love to try actual root beer. Friends from the US are often talking about its wonders and I am all green-eyed here. All we have is cola and orange/lemon/apple sodas (quite literally, although they still use sugar instead of corn syrup).
Is it possible to import food products from the US to EU countries, or is it banned due to health hazard concerns or something?

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5074 on: August 12, 2011, 07:33:06 am »

It's like Ginger beer! That's the Australian equivalent, at least. :P
No. Ginger beer is the Aus equivalent of ginger ale. Which still isn't alcoholic.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5075 on: August 12, 2011, 07:35:00 am »

Totally offtopic but I'd love to try actual root beer. Friends from the US are often talking about its wonders and I am all green-eyed here. All we have is cola and orange/lemon/apple sodas (quite literally, although they still use sugar instead of corn syrup).
Is it possible to import food products from the US to EU countries, or is it banned due to health hazard concerns or something?
Go eat some liquorice.
It's exactly the same vomit :P
*Hugs*

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5076 on: August 12, 2011, 07:41:34 am »

Well, I tried root beer once, and to me it tasted much like ginger beer. *shrug*
Ginger ale isn't really much different, though...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5077 on: August 12, 2011, 07:46:48 am »

I doubt they'd place restrictions on root beer, a quick google gave me this site which has a list of places to order it from. I don't think they have restrictions of food other than animal products and certain fruits.

I have to warn you though, food in the U.S. is a lot sweeter and saltier than what I'm used to eating. I once tried one of those Arizona Tea things and had a headache that lasted for hours.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5078 on: August 12, 2011, 07:50:08 am »

Go eat some liquorice.
It's exactly the same vomit :P

Really? I happen to like liquorice, it's commonplace in my country, in both industrial confection uses (as sweetener) and in other raw-er forms. You can even purchase prepared roots in some candy stores.

@Blaze
I see. That sounds scary, I have very low tolerance for sweet stuff xD
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 07:54:31 am by DalGren »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5079 on: August 12, 2011, 07:54:13 am »

I personally despise the stuff.
But rootbeer's basically liquid liquorice.
*Hugs*

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5080 on: August 12, 2011, 08:26:08 am »

Talking edible stuff...and back on topic.

I see salt is only actually used for beef jerky, and sugar only used for fruit pie...I get the feeling they are a bit underused.
I suggest adding salt water and candy (salt+water and sugar+water+pan/pot respectively) for easy extra uses. Jam would be an alternate way to use fruit+sugar as well (it's one of the traditional ways to conserve fruit after all!).

Since milk expires fast, it can be interesting to generate "farm buildings" outside of towns. You might find a few (emphasis on few) surviving cows from which to obtain meat and skin, or milk. Some of that empty terrain would be filled with a few fences and a little factory building. It'd also be fun for someone to die protecting his/her cow from the hordes of zombies and beasts.
An alternative would be a poultry farm, but there aren't even eggs in-game, so not really a concern.

Another alternative would be horses. Both the meat and milk are edible. And can be made to spawn wild like deer, so no need for infrastructure or pollute the building list. Not really caring about riding horses though, sounds counterproductive in a monster apocalypse.

After getting milk, a good caution would be to use a few hotplate charges with it to sterilize.

Also, one last thing. Drinking water from a toiled should give a morale penalty. It's implied they are drinking from the lower part because of the 100% poison chance (a character with an intelligence over 10 should be using the water tank above, though). You can also make "dirty toilets" from which the character will REFUSE to drink from, if the game is going to continue doing it the silly way. (it doesn't need to be sh*t-stained, can be dirty with other stuff like mold, which is possible if it's been static for long)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5081 on: August 12, 2011, 09:00:48 am »

Is it normal to do 140-150 damage to hulks with pistols, while having no skill with such?

You can do similar levels using unarmed and the drunken master trait without skills as well. Admittedly you'll die shortly after because of the amount you have to drink, but it's fun for a bit.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5082 on: August 12, 2011, 09:07:48 am »

About kulik's suggestion, there are several types of character builds that would be unplayable like that. Try a schizo and watch "your mother" get in the middle at random. Or a hoarder. Or someone with addictive personality who can only use basic morale boosts (food, mp3 and marijuana, that's mostly all) . Or a...you get the point.
Im sure there may be a way to work around even those builds (mostly taking thorazine and aderal), cause how would a un-sedated schizophrenic person learn about advanced electronic when his dead mother would walk around his room and he had a constant visions of giant ants attacking him? Or a obsessive guy who is constantly jittery and sweating cause he has place in his backpack and he didn't took the empty aluminum can with him? ...pretty realistic i guess, it would make the medicaments even more needed which is if you ask me a good things cause lots of people are taking schizophrenic as a free points.

Seems people are bothered about having high XP, but that XP is not a currency you can use automagically to raise skills and stuff. You aren't automatically overpowered for having high XP, you have no advantage at all unless you train your skills (if you got books, it's all fine and dandy, training your dodge or other skills is not so "effortless")

From my view the sheer fact that i have high XP doesn't bother me, its the fact that once you have it, you don't really have to care about morale anymore. I can't remember the last time i used hotplate, i rather suffer the bad morale of eating raw tainted meat and drinking from toilets than to bother with cooking. An important aspect of the game is lost at this point IMO.
If i knew that it would lower the XP i need to gain skills...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 09:09:41 am by kulik »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5083 on: August 12, 2011, 09:12:30 am »

It'd be cool if at high levels of XP some of it went to negating skill rust.
*Hugs*

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5084 on: August 12, 2011, 09:26:27 am »

About kulik's suggestion, there are several types of character builds that would be unplayable like that. Try a schizo and watch "your mother" get in the middle at random. Or a hoarder. Or someone with addictive personality who can only use basic morale boosts (food, mp3 and marijuana, that's mostly all) . Or a...you get the point.
Im sure there may be a way to work around even those builds (mostly taking thorazine and aderal), cause how would a un-sedated schizophrenic person learn about advanced electronic when his dead mother would walk around his room and he had a constant visions of giant ants attacking him? Or a obsessive guy who is constantly jittery and sweating cause he has place in his backpack and he didn't took the empty aluminum can with him? ...pretty realistic i guess, it would make the medicaments even more needed which is if you ask me a good things cause lots of people are taking schizophrenic as a free points.

Seems people are bothered about having high XP, but that XP is not a currency you can use automagically to raise skills and stuff. You aren't automatically overpowered for having high XP, you have no advantage at all unless you train your skills (if you got books, it's all fine and dandy, training your dodge or other skills is not so "effortless")

From my view the sheer fact that i have high XP doesn't bother me, its the fact that once you have it, you don't really have to care about morale anymore. I can't remember the last time i used hotplate, i rather suffer the bad morale of eating raw tainted meat and drinking from toilets than to bother with cooking. An important aspect of the game is lost at this point IMO.
If i knew that it would lower the XP i need to gain skills...

I disagree because you can't read or craft with low morale. The drugs to treat those conditions are also addictive IIRC, which is something I take seriously (AKA: Don't rely on items you can't secure. That's why I never play asthmatics).
That penalty I suggested about drinking from toilets can even things off a little bit, as well.

In short, addictions are something good to avoid. You can't depend on certain items all the time (even in 3 pharmacies in a row you can have the chance of not finding the right medicine) because...well, it's survival. Imagine how inviable it would be when NPCs start snatching all the good stuff.

EDIT: Note that even with 10000xp you can still have low morale. One doesn't counter the other.

It'd be cool if at high levels of XP some of it went to negating skill rust.

Would be fun, specially since implants seem to be hard to come by. Skill rust is incredibly fast.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 09:28:54 am by DalGren »
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 777