Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263556 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #5100 on: August 12, 2011, 12:00:16 pm »

I'm starting to think that making several uses for the xp will balance more the xp pool system, because it would make imposible for people to have infinite xp, what about setting the skill learned to consume more xp when past a specific day, like at day 5, most characters got to day 5 are likely to have tons of xp by that time. And i tought of making a xp menu where you can spend xp to do some weird things like getting an adrenaline rush, doing some fighting techniques, we would get certain weapon skills (like headshots) and unarmed skills (like stun kick) torought reading books, that would make the xp a daily need because it would make it go down fast, even for a 5000 xp player.
THis sounds like a compliation of previous bad ideas, except for the 'more uses of the system will balance it' part.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

erick1294

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5101 on: August 12, 2011, 12:07:10 pm »

Of course you're not going to fire lasers torought your mouth, i'm talking about small things that make your life easyer, for example:
You're running away with your simple .22 pistol, with a zombie and a necromancer behind you, You're doomed because your pain slows you down, BUT, whales add a new update, you press Shift+X, it opens a menu :
a- .22 Headshot            -200 xp
b- .45 acp headshot       -450
( i was thinking of increasing ammo headshot ability with weapon overall skill since you can't score a simple headshot with a magnum when you just learn shooting) of course you'd also get headshots based on luck in my point of view
c- Stun kick technique    -500 xp

You press a You headshot the zombie, You press C you stun the necromancer and start firing rounds, your life is now increased at the cost of precious xp

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5102 on: August 12, 2011, 12:09:22 pm »

Of course you're not going to fire lasers torought your mouth, i'm talking about small things that make your life easyer, for example:
You're running away with your simple .22 pistol, with a zombie and a necromancer behind you, You're doomed because your pain slows you down, BUT, whales add a new update, you press Shift+X, it opens a menu :
a- .22 Headshot            -200 xp
b- .45 acp headshot       -450
( i was thinking of increasing ammo headshot ability with weapon overall skill since you can't score a simple headshot with a magnum when you just learn shooting) of course you'd also get headshots based on luck in my point of view
c- Stun kick technique    -500 xp

You press a You headshot the zombie, You press C you stun the necromancer and start firing rounds, your life is now increased at the cost of precious xp
Eh, I don't like this. Really, that means any plain content human should just be able to instantaneously headshot someone on a whim. Heck, just standing next to them and firing there is much more preferable, as there's and actual reason for getting a headshot.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5103 on: August 12, 2011, 12:16:47 pm »

Thats exactly what I was suggesting, but without the menu. It would represent somebodies strong will to live, and give them, say, a burst of speed, or a temporary melee damage boost.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: August 12, 2011, 12:17:42 pm »

Well, you can also make faux-heroin with it, but you can use plain old salt for that, too.

I like the other suggest morale penalties, and will be adding them and lots of other ones at some point.  Morale really needs an overhaul, most values are way off-base (mostly because they were designed before the system was actually used).

Interesting. Should I suggest removing salt water (if it isn't already? Just updated right now, had a long-ish game in the old version...) entirely then?

@jc6036: Exactly what I had in mind too. "Willpower" is a good way to put it in a single word.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: August 12, 2011, 12:31:20 pm »

Making headshots and shit wasn't in my original idea.

Mostly it was survival boosts, you know, that would bring you back from the brink of death.
Like boosts of speed and negating pain.

And headshots just don't seem to fit in this.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: August 12, 2011, 12:40:30 pm »

Completely agreed. It should be more like a lucky chance or an adrenaline rush, not a device for magic aiming. It can be "cinematic" and cool without being like that.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: August 12, 2011, 12:45:05 pm »

Note that I never said anything about headshots either, but I wholeheartedly support buffs.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5108 on: August 12, 2011, 12:51:23 pm »

I'm against the Exp4buffs system, really, a bit more adding exchange for having been happy is what it is, a bit somewhat realistically. I mean your body should already be making it's own adrenaline and using it when it's really needed (I do believe whales plans to implement this), not miraculously summoned up from having exp.
There's just too much that doesn't fit for the exchange system beyond training and learning skills to make any sense for me, so I'm against it.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5109 on: August 12, 2011, 01:06:36 pm »

I see it as a sort of extreme will to live in desperate situations, sort of like "Ive come this far, I aint gonna die now!".  It could make for some really cinematic gameplay.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: August 12, 2011, 01:17:30 pm »

Isn't that the point of the adrenaline rush trait, though?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: August 12, 2011, 01:27:05 pm »

Yes, but thats a trait. Its permanant. With buffs, it would only be temporary, maybe a once every few days thing.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5112 on: August 12, 2011, 01:38:43 pm »

Yes, but thats a trait. Its permanant. With buffs, it would only be temporary, maybe a once every few days thing.
That's sort of how adrenaline rush trait works.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5113 on: August 12, 2011, 01:41:24 pm »

And now for something completely different.
Anyone else think it'd be cool if flashlights only provided light if you were wielding them?
I think with the current mechanics, lighting the entire surroundings, it makes more sense to imagine you're holding the flashlight in your hand and sweeping it around the room.
And head mounted flashlights could be added in with this, rarer than regular ones but not requiring you to hold them in your hand, + being wearable.

Just my tuppenceworth on how to make them more realistic without changing the current mechanic too much.
*Hugs*

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #5114 on: August 12, 2011, 01:50:24 pm »

You already lose xp for having negative morale.

The way it works is this:

Morale between 0 and 100, you have your morale as a % chance of gaining an xp.
Otherwise you lose or gain morale / 100 xp. Negative 100 morale = XP loss as fast as you gain at +100 morale.

Not quite true.  0-99 gives you (morale+1)% chance of gaining an XP; hence even 0 morale will result in a slow XP gain.  You never lose XP points, except by spending them.  I'll try to make this more clear in the help text.

I got that from your most recent source. I just overlooked an equals sign in the <= (which is why you can still gain xp on a 0). I guess it might be unintentional, but the way it works now you do lose XP when morale is -100 or below.

Heres the relevant code:
Code: [Select]
int mor = morale_level();
 if (mor >= 0 && mor < 100 && rng(0, 100) <= mor)
  xp_pool++;
 else
  xp_pool += int(mor / 100);

You can even go into negative xp. I thought it was intentional.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 01:55:23 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 777