Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260383 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #6510 on: September 30, 2011, 11:20:04 pm »

Related to the earlier conversation, massive insects/arachnids like that are impossible I believe. IIRC, if you scale up an ant to the size of a house it would crush itself under its own weight, something like the weight/strength ratio not increasing to fit. I assume the same would apply to other small creatures.

We were debating on what kind of changes would have to occur for them to be able to function, actually. At least I was.
Nothing important here, move along.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6511 on: September 30, 2011, 11:57:54 pm »

In effect, the changes that would be necessary are the differences between them and large vertebrates. An open circulatory system, direct respiration of air, and an exoskeleton all don't function very well, nor would the types of legs that bugs have, bugs not really having sturdy "feet" on them.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6512 on: October 01, 2011, 12:09:45 am »

I think handwaving was agreed as the solution.

I explored an ant lair and walked into the queen's chambers expecting pages of enemies guarding a queen which hit like a truck. Instead all I got was eggs. I gotta say, that was more than a bit disappointing.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #6513 on: October 01, 2011, 12:10:04 am »

Why does it feel like this conversation about large bugs is going in circles?

I can't remember, but there's a Speech skill, right?  Is it possible to mod in a brand new command that calls that, and then attempts to reason giant spiders out of existence?

And then this was Cataclysm:  Torment

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6514 on: October 01, 2011, 12:27:03 am »

Why does it feel like this conversation about large bugs is going in circles?

I can't remember, but there's a Speech skill, right?  Is it possible to mod in a brand new command that calls that, and then attempts to reason giant spiders out of existence?

And then this was Cataclysm:  Torment

Wait.  Is that a Hobbit reference I can't remember
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #6515 on: October 01, 2011, 12:44:29 am »

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6516 on: October 01, 2011, 01:17:48 am »

Planescape: Torment?

Oh!  I always wanted to play that but could never get it working.  Seemed to be pretty awesome.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6517 on: October 01, 2011, 01:28:57 am »

Oh!  I always wanted to play that but could never get it working.  Seemed to be pretty awesome.

Indeed it was an awesome game.  The best part?  A village of friendly zombies and skeletons.  Hint hint.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6518 on: October 01, 2011, 01:34:46 am »

I think it would make loads of sense to just be able to define any random area as a survivor base. All you'd then need to do is arbitrarly define random areas for whatever purposes the base needs (leader hangout, sleeping quarters, clinic, armory, kitchen, storage for everything else, and commons area are what I can think of offhand) and then place all the necessary items, NPC's, and add-on buildings such as walls.

I dunno, it makes more sense to me than to have either a base sitting out in the middle of nowhere or to have airports or whatever always be bases. I guess people would rather base up in certain buildings so make houses and certain shops ineligable, or else we'll get things like "Ok guys, everybody meet up at the Payless!" Seems like it might be a lot of work, though, so whatever works best with the system you've set up everything in.

Yup!  Not only does it make more sense but it's also much cooler to have people holed up in a mall, airport, or college campus, than some arbitrary square colony.

I was actually hoping we'd get some long term survivors that travel from city to city when supplies run out. Like some sort of survivor convoy on wheels with heavily weapons mounted on vehicles (When implemented).

Also, what's the background of the game? Is the cataclysm limited to a particular region or cover the entire world? How much time has passed since it started?

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6519 on: October 01, 2011, 02:51:46 am »

I think it would make loads of sense to just be able to define any random area as a survivor base. All you'd then need to do is arbitrarly define random areas for whatever purposes the base needs (leader hangout, sleeping quarters, clinic, armory, kitchen, storage for everything else, and commons area are what I can think of offhand) and then place all the necessary items, NPC's, and add-on buildings such as walls.

I dunno, it makes more sense to me than to have either a base sitting out in the middle of nowhere or to have airports or whatever always be bases. I guess people would rather base up in certain buildings so make houses and certain shops ineligable, or else we'll get things like "Ok guys, everybody meet up at the Payless!" Seems like it might be a lot of work, though, so whatever works best with the system you've set up everything in.

Yup!  Not only does it make more sense but it's also much cooler to have people holed up in a mall, airport, or college campus, than some arbitrary square colony.

I was actually hoping we'd get some long term survivors that travel from city to city when supplies run out. Like some sort of survivor convoy on wheels with heavily weapons mounted on vehicles (When implemented).

Also, what's the background of the game? Is the cataclysm limited to a particular region or cover the entire world? How much time has passed since it started?

Yeah, there'll be roving traders, looters/scavengers, armed patrols, scouts, etc. etc.

The background isn't really fleshed out yet; to be perfectly honest, I'm making that up as I go along.  I think that the story and background isn't as important as the gameplay and setting, so I'm making up the latter and will tailor the former to fit.  But: the cataclysm was limited to a small region, but is very quickly spreading and has possibly covered the entire planet by the time gameplay occurs--which is around a week post-disaster.

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6520 on: October 01, 2011, 04:14:51 am »

Hmm I was trying to compile the original source code to windows using mingw.
Went fine until I ran it and it crashed.

It crashed on :
Code: [Select]
struct tm calendar::get_sunrise() {
  struct tm *t;
  t = localtime(&timedate);
/* we only care about hour and minute for sunset / sunrise,
   but time structures are convenient */
  if (sr.tm_mday != t->tm_mday) {

Crashed because t was NULL.
Turns out timedate was -1.

Apparently the source of the problem is:
t.tm_year = 12;

Changing that to t.tm_year=70; fixed the problem.

I had the idea to change that from reading on msdn:
The localtime function converts a time stored as a time_t value and stores the result in a structure of type tm. The long value timer represents the seconds elapsed since midnight (00:00:00), January 1, 1970, coordinated universal time (UTC). This value is usually obtained from the time function.

Since setting it the year to 12(1912), time_t would be negative I thought it might be the problem(and turns out it was).

Anyway I'm unsure of the importance of that t.tm_year = 12; in the whole scheme of things :p.

Anyway once I fixed that it seemed to compile and run fine.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6521 on: October 01, 2011, 07:28:46 am »

I know I shouldn't tell a working developer this, but current WINE versions seem to run it with only a few minor visual glitches (at least the GOG.com version). Now don't waste all your time playing if it works for you! ;)
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

cryo_

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6522 on: October 01, 2011, 11:58:02 am »

The localtime function converts a time stored as a time_t value and stores the result in a structure of type tm. The long value timer represents the seconds elapsed since midnight (00:00:00), January 1, 1970, coordinated universal time (UTC). This value is usually obtained from the time function.

Since setting it the year to 12(1912), time_t would be negative I thought it might be the problem(and turns out it was).

Anyway I'm unsure of the importance of that t.tm_year = 12; in the whole scheme of things :p.

I love it. A Y2K bug! The end of the world as we know it.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6523 on: October 01, 2011, 12:43:17 pm »

I know I shouldn't tell a working developer this, but current WINE versions seem to run it with only a few minor visual glitches (at least the GOG.com version). Now don't waste all your time playing if it works for you! ;)

Hmmm, maybe I'll give it a try!  I'd previous been trying with a pirated copy--I do of course like to pay for my games, but as many many games don't work under WINE, it's necessary for me to try before I buy.  Maybe I'll give it a shot with the GOG version.

I love it. A Y2K bug! The end of the world as we know it.

calendar.h is moved moved off of time_t and tm completely, to ensure cross-platform compatibility and to enhance function for Cataclysm's purposes.  Hopefully I'll be pushing this update sometime in the next day or two.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6524 on: October 01, 2011, 05:47:10 pm »

Hmmm, maybe I'll give it a try!  I'd previous been trying with a pirated copy--I do of course like to pay for my games, but as many many games don't work under WINE, it's necessary for me to try before I buy.  Maybe I'll give it a shot with the GOG version.

It's a very good game if you don't mind it being wordy as hell. Don't play it expecting awesome combat or anything; it's more the writing and characters/setting that people enjoy.

If you do wind up playing it, you might as well get this.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 777