Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263166 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #6600 on: October 06, 2011, 05:02:26 pm »

Not a be a purist, but Cataclysm is one of the most approachable ASCII games out there(along with incursion). Every enemy is labeled in your display automatically, things are color coded by group and there is a scrolling look button. If there was ever a ASCII game that didn't need a tileset this is it.

This. I needed a few games with a tileset in DF before I was comfortable with switching to ASCII, but I hopped right into this without any issue. Also, a Savage 111F with silencer and sniper reconfigurement attachments is ungodly good. The sniper mod normally drops ammo capacity and removing automatic fire while increasing damage and accuracy, but as the Savage is already a semiauto rifle with 3 shots, the negative effects don't get applied, and it gets pushed to the point where it has around 105 accuracy and enough damage to one-shot a hulk.

Also, does anyone else make a habit of taking Trigger Happy because they almost never use autos, and even then the symptoms almost never come up?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6601 on: October 06, 2011, 05:09:25 pm »

Also, does anyone else make a habit of taking Trigger Happy because they almost never use autos, and even then the symptoms almost never come up?

It feels cheap, but I do this too.  I don't trust semi-autos anyway, I only use pistols and single-shot rifles.  I suppose if I ever find myself back-to-the-wall, it'll come into play, but otherwise it is pretty much two free points.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6602 on: October 06, 2011, 08:31:56 pm »

The main reason I love this game is because you can eat fetuses or use them as weapons. And I though DF was weaponized!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6603 on: October 06, 2011, 09:01:42 pm »

Actually, bottle of vodka apparently make great weapons. I've been getting a good percentage of 1HKOs just throwing them. The best part is that the game is detailed enough to report the sound of glass smashing if they break.

3. Run Resize Enable

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6604 on: October 06, 2011, 09:46:39 pm »

Actually, bottle of vodka apparently make great weapons. I've been getting a good percentage of 1HKOs just throwing them. The best part is that the game is detailed enough to report the sound of glass smashing if they break.

And the vodka spills all over the ground--but I should make it coat the target monster, thus increasing their flammability by a little bit :D
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6605 on: October 06, 2011, 09:58:52 pm »

I still say throwing rotten tomatoes is overpowered.  Hilarious when you kill stuff with headshots, but overpowered.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6606 on: October 06, 2011, 10:29:43 pm »

Yeah, throwing needs an overhaul.  Maybe I will do that... right.... now!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6607 on: October 06, 2011, 10:45:44 pm »

Finally, the Hatchet is the best melee weapon as it deals both respectable cutting and bashing damage.
I actually havent been having much luck with a hatchet really.  But I also havent really been putting much use into the bludgeoning weapons.  In the last 3 games I found either a katana in my starting basement or a machete, and those absolutely destroy things.  Only the armored stuff seems to be an issue to them, but that's what you keep a nailboard in your pocket for.

And yea throwing does seem a bit weird at times.  I used to throw steak knives I find in houses at regular infected and headshot them.  But it dosn't seem to do much damage even then.  It is funny imagining being followed by a horde of zombies with various bits of cutlery sticking out of them ineffectually, but even a combat knife, which if I understand properly is weighted for throwing, does hardly anything.  Yet some of the stuff you wouldn't expect to be harmful is downright lethal.   I vaguely remember doing more damage with a thrown can of root beer once than with a thrown hatchet.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6608 on: October 06, 2011, 11:30:52 pm »

the can of rootbeer doing more damage in some instances makes sense since it is heavy and hard no matter which side hits the target, whereas a hatchet will often hit handle first when thrown by an unskilled user or in a tense situation. Sidenote; I carried a tomahawk in combat overseas and practiced often.
and combat knives are heavy, but it's a side effect of the built to last principle. Throwing knives are balanced for throwing, almost every other knife performs poorly when thrown.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6609 on: October 07, 2011, 12:04:53 am »

The only weapon I absolutely always carry is a baseball bat, for dealing with those pesky skeletons. There should seriously be a chance for gunfire to hit them, as firing off half a magazine into a skeleton would almost certainly not result in every shot somehow managing to miss every bone. The skull in particular isn't more than a few millimeters smaller than a non-defleshed head.

3. Run Resize Enable

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6610 on: October 07, 2011, 12:20:05 am »

Curious, does the SSH version ever reset? Cause it occurred to me that with enough people playing and dieing, most of the already limited supplies will become even more so.
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6611 on: October 07, 2011, 12:21:56 am »

Can someone point me to the newest Windows version? I'm having trouble finding it in all the pages since it was posted. :P
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6612 on: October 07, 2011, 12:29:06 am »

Cutting weapons only have a 20% chance of hitting with the sharp edge when thrown; this goes up by 12% for every level of throwing skill you have.

The only weapon I absolutely always carry is a baseball bat, for dealing with those pesky skeletons. There should seriously be a chance for gunfire to hit them, as firing off half a magazine into a skeleton would almost certainly not result in every shot somehow managing to miss every bone. The skull in particular isn't more than a few millimeters smaller than a non-defleshed head.

Skeletons are hit by 1 in 4 bullets in the most recent version.  This is a case of gameplay over realism. however; skeletons are meant to force gun-centric characters to use a different strategy for dealing with them.

Curious, does the SSH version ever reset? Cause it occurred to me that with enough people playing and dieing, most of the already limited supplies will become even more so.

Yes, occasionally.  The world does get pretty wrecked/looted/sparse, but you can always travel to a new town--remember, the world is limitless.

Can someone point me to the newest Windows version? I'm having trouble finding it in all the pages since it was posted. :P

https://github.com/downloads/aposos/Cataclysm/Cataclysm%200.1e%20win32.zip

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6613 on: October 07, 2011, 01:16:53 am »

Cutting weapons only have a 20% chance of hitting with the sharp edge when thrown; this goes up by 12% for every level of throwing skill you have.

Laser-guided machetes at 7 skill? Hooray!
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6614 on: October 07, 2011, 01:21:18 am »

My first time playing since Whales announced he was working on the construction update. Should be fun. :)

...Wait, since the construction update is out, does that mean we might find huge, player-built fortresses in the multiplayer version? :P
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 777