Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 449 450 [451] 452 453 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263093 times)

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #6750 on: October 11, 2011, 01:36:35 am »

Maybe some sort of passive interface that shows the general direction and type of sound heard? Like south: footsteps, moaning. North: rapid buzzing. It would either have to be integrated into a menu     ( :| ) or integrated into the main screen ( :D )

Actually this may not be limited to sound. It may be a general observation that let you assess more or less accurate infestation of nearby areas. I for instance find it stupid that you run into pack of zombies on open ground you would other vise see miles away. Having binoculars you could scan pretty decent area from radio tower.

I'm noticing an interesting pattern with the spawning mechanics that wasn't there in older versions.
It seams to me that periods of furious action are alternating with periods of quiet, suspensive, lonely-survivor, empty streets parts. I like it very much, being every second followed by pack of zombies is full of adrenaline but after a while its just annoying and it looses its scare factor. The period of calm postapocalyptic scavenging let you settle down a little and makes the unavoidable upcoming frenetic part much more tense.
Not sure if it was intended, but its great.  :)

Definitely intended.  It's a mechanic I'm still playing with, trying to get just right, but I like alternating the pace like that; forcing a period of intense fighting or running away, followed by a "reward" period where you can relax a little and collect items or whatever.

Ok, just don't make it too artificial so it doesn't end up like "ok, wave cleared, time to prepare for another".
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 01:39:06 am by kulik »

L0master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6751 on: October 11, 2011, 05:03:37 am »

Cigarettes seem to be overpowered, increasing INT DEX and PER. The only useful thing i can imagine them to do is soothing you to sleep well or something like that. So my point is - cigarettes ought to have more drawbacks and less benefits than they do now.
Number of kills: 15
 dog: 1
 your mother: 14

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6752 on: October 11, 2011, 05:10:45 am »

Cigarettes seem to be overpowered, increasing INT DEX and PER. The only useful thing i can imagine them to do is soothing you to sleep well or something like that. So my point is - cigarettes ought to have more drawbacks and less benefits than they do now.

Running out of cigs sucks, although you're right. Perhaps they ought to put off a stronger scent when used? The odor is distinctive to us humans much less the zombies with there super-smelling. The other thing I can think of is that they probably shouldn't raise Int, although that's more from a "Goddamn this book is confusing. Wait, gimme a smoke. Holy shit, it's all so easy now!" perspective.

Speaking of which, zombie dogs!
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6753 on: October 11, 2011, 05:33:42 am »

Once you get nicotine addiction, you get nicotine cawing every second, which is annoying as hell.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6754 on: October 11, 2011, 06:15:19 am »

Zombie Dogs
It doesn't fit with the current backstory. Also, wolves.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6755 on: October 11, 2011, 06:33:08 am »

According to what Whales has said in the past, drugs are hardly meant to be realistic (or else stimulants wouldn't make you move and act at 150% normal human speed).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6756 on: October 11, 2011, 07:01:33 am »

It doesn't fit with the current backstory. Also, wolves.

Wait, why doesn't it? We know the creatures "infection vector" reacts differently with insects (Reminder to self, include Giant Scorpions in my mod now that I'm working on it again), but I don't know why other mammals wouldn't work the same way as humans, to be honest.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6757 on: October 11, 2011, 07:23:56 am »

"Testing XE037 on non-human mammal subjects does not appear to display the same revivifying effect, oddly enough."

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6758 on: October 11, 2011, 08:16:32 am »

"Testing XE037 on non-human mammal subjects does not appear to display the same revivifying effect, oddly enough."

The next line being:

Acquiring non-human subjects, sadly, is a long and costly process, and research into this area is lacking.

Which is pretty open for someone to add a wide variety of zombie mammals without breaking canon if they so choose.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6759 on: October 11, 2011, 08:39:04 am »

Meh, I don't find the idea interesting. I'd rather have more wild animals than more zombie animals.

I'd also like for enemies to be not necessarily friends with each other. Namely, the packs of zombies teamed with rats and robots that are spawning as of late.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Keltiknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6760 on: October 11, 2011, 09:21:51 am »

Fun times, I decided to make a "Hulk" character: 1 perception and 1 intelligence, and about 15 in strength, agility. And I'm a drunken master with a wrench. Wonder how long I live, killing every zombie I see. Probably until the first zombie Hulk shows up. Or death by a million scratches....
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.-Corvidae

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6761 on: October 11, 2011, 09:33:40 am »

Fun times, I decided to make a "Hulk" character: 1 perception and 1 intelligence, and about 15 in strength, agility. And I'm a drunken master with a wrench. Wonder how long I live, killing every zombie I see. Probably until the first zombie Hulk shows up. Or death by a million scratches....

With only 1 per and int you should be able to reach about 20 str and agi easy enough especially as you can take traits like illiterate as well.
With enough alcohol you can (or could at least) get up into stupid damage while unarmed, although last time I tried that I over did it and couldn't keep down any food or liquids, kept passing out too.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6762 on: October 11, 2011, 11:13:22 am »

Some of my characters of late are:

Spoiler: Bomar the Barbarian (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bomar II Butcher (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Commando Joe (click to show/hide)

20 Str/Dex makes for stupid crazy damage. However the bonus damage from Str only ranges from 0-15. So its more effective with quick weapons than it is slow ones. Combat Knife/Hatchet are amazing. Especially if you are packing 20 Dex.

Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

L0master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6763 on: October 11, 2011, 12:16:01 pm »

According to what Whales has said in the past, drugs are hardly meant to be realistic (or else stimulants wouldn't make you move and act at 150% normal human speed).
Now that makes sense. In this case it is actually right thing to sacrifice a little realism in favour of a little gameplay.

A couple of questions that probably have been already asked: 1) How do I open manholes? 2) Is there a way to interact with radio towers? 3) Is it just me or you can't barricade windows and doors using nailgun instead of hammer?
Number of kills: 15
 dog: 1
 your mother: 14

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6764 on: October 11, 2011, 12:27:01 pm »

1) Crowbar
2) Nope they do nothing right now
3) You cannot, Whales will be merging barricading into construction in the future.
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 449 450 [451] 452 453 ... 777