Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263481 times)

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #6810 on: October 12, 2011, 09:02:16 am »

You can still gain stats by eating Marloss berries. Each berry gives 1 point to each attribute.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Actually... (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's possible it was a mod I guess, but I refer you to the relevant code (spoiler city, of course).
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6811 on: October 12, 2011, 10:53:39 am »

I like the fact that you can't increase your stats.

You can...you just need enough mutagen...

Last time i had five mutagens and i ended up with one stat loss, three bad traits and one good trait. I drank purifier and it healed my good trait.  >:(   So yeah, i pass mutagens from now on, maybe i try it again with robust genetics, but without it its simply not worth it from my experience.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6812 on: October 12, 2011, 11:52:41 am »

I seem to have a permanent "shakes" status now :(

NVM, went away with sleep

It was a shame losing that int point to mutagen, but regeneration is pretty sweet.

I'll just have to increase my stats with stimulants before doing brainy stuff, I guess. Time to raid the streets for adderall and cocaine...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:54:59 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

L0master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6813 on: October 12, 2011, 12:17:05 pm »

I've never played a character less than 11 intelligence.
My standard right now is 13, lets me avoid messing with stims too much.
Have you tried playing random character? It's fun. Try it. 7/8 of my characters are randomly generated.

Number of kills: 15
 dog: 1
 your mother: 14

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #6814 on: October 12, 2011, 01:01:13 pm »

True. I haven't even tried a custom character yet.

Are beartraps too easy/quick to use? They're even better than broken windows for turning zombies into punchbags, and portable too.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6815 on: October 12, 2011, 02:25:58 pm »

They weight a frigging lot. And can only affect a zombie at a time. So not that good as a portable weapon, IMO.

Having food issues atm. I started in a small town, and am beggining to run out of supplies (in general).

Regeneration is making it less necessary to use bandages and such, but still. Now that I got computers to 5, I'm going to try and hack the laboratories' system to get some augs, and a map of the region. I need to locate hardware stores in order to get materials to build a house somewhere with more food.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Keltiknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6816 on: October 12, 2011, 02:44:11 pm »

Is it me, or is marijuana and cocaine extremely common now? every house I visit that is not wasp'd seems to have marijuana 4/5 times, and cocaine 2/3 of the times they have no marijuana.
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.-Corvidae

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6817 on: October 12, 2011, 02:48:54 pm »

Yes, they're pretty common. I find wood saws rare.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6818 on: October 12, 2011, 03:29:50 pm »

They weight a frigging lot. And can only affect a zombie at a time. So not that good as a portable weapon, IMO.

Having food issues atm. I started in a small town, and am beggining to run out of supplies (in general).

Regeneration is making it less necessary to use bandages and such, but still. Now that I got computers to 5, I'm going to try and hack the laboratories' system to get some augs, and a map of the region. I need to locate hardware stores in order to get materials to build a house somewhere with more food.

If you have a hot plate you can hunt for food... wolves are a pretty good food source.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6819 on: October 12, 2011, 03:40:48 pm »

You don't need a hot plate for that. You just need a decent weapon.

At any rate, my character was just killed by one of those annoying random-spawns that happen from time to time on top on your head. It had happened a few times during this game, but in the open field I had managed to forestall it for the most part (AKA: barring random spawns of hulks and brutes on top of my head) by running away. Unfortunatedly, this time the random spawn was in a lab, and I ran right into two turrets that weren't there the previous turn.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6820 on: October 12, 2011, 04:01:14 pm »

You need a hotplate to cook the chunks of meat you get from the animals.
Nothing important here, move along.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6821 on: October 12, 2011, 04:28:28 pm »

please could you give me some advice on how to survive a long(ish) time? I can only do it via cheating (using the map for travel when i get in trouble)

also, how do you build yer own house?

http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=105.0 - for survival

And to build your house - Carpentry skill. Press * to engage Minecraft mode.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6822 on: October 12, 2011, 04:30:13 pm »

You need a hotplate to cook the chunks of meat you get from the animals.

You don't need to cook them in order to eat them.

Keltiknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6823 on: October 12, 2011, 04:34:50 pm »

I discovered rocks make great triffid scaring devices. Those things are EVERYWHERE outside cities, not two seconds without a bunch of them nearby, and rocks are also decent makeshift zombie killing devices. So long as its not too many, and you have 20-odd rocks. Which I usually do since I like picking hoarder.
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.-Corvidae

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6824 on: October 12, 2011, 05:02:04 pm »

please could you give me some advice on how to survive a long(ish) time? I can only do it via cheating (using the map for travel when i get in trouble)

also, how do you build yer own house?

1) Always carry a quiet gun, either a crossbow, a .22 or a silenced gun. Use this on the special zombies (Shockers, Spitters, Fast Zombies, fungal zombies, necromancers and brutes) and other mildly threatening wildlife. Stand close before shooting.

2) Always carry a big gun, such as a shotgun, high power rifle or big handgun (such are a .44 magnum). Use this gun in emergencies only. Hulks count as an emergency.

3)Always carry a molotov cocktail (or the means of constructing one). These are useful for taking out wolf-packs and setting fires to break a scent trail. A grenade is also useful.

4) Always carry a flashlight, a piece of food, some water, a lighter, a morale booster, strong painkillers(I like tramadol) and a bashing weapon (you can use your rifle/shotgun stock for this).

5) Never do anything time intensive near windows. If you're going to read or craft find a room with no windows.

6)Running is acceptable, you don't need to kill everything.

7) Sleep in basements, or remote locations.

8) make copious 'N'otes on your 'm'ap. I mark every clear block,every basement, any random useful stuff in the road and every ransacked pharmacy, library and gun store.

9) When in doubt, save and quit and come back later.
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 777