Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 461 462 [463] 464 465 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263348 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #6930 on: October 14, 2011, 06:30:08 pm »

Whats the big deal about starting with or without a dog?

Just pretend it's not there and go about your business. As soon as some zombies show up it will run off and get itself killed anyway.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6931 on: October 14, 2011, 07:08:10 pm »

... it's a nitpick point, I know. I'd rather have other more interesting features added than getting rid of the dog. But yeah, I'd prefer to start with no dog.

Aso, as I said, I suspect that in no small measure it's more related to me having a soft spot for dogs than for any remotedly rational reason.... and yeah, I know it's shamefully stupid by my part, but it makes me go out of my way to save the retarded NPC
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 07:11:12 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6932 on: October 14, 2011, 07:28:24 pm »

... it's a nitpick point, I know. I'd rather have other more interesting features added than getting rid of the dog. But yeah, I'd prefer to start with no dog.

Aso, as I said, I suspect that in no small measure it's more related to me having a soft spot for dogs than for any remotedly rational reason.... and yeah, I know it's shamefully stupid by my part, but it makes me go out of my way to save the retarded NPC

Heh. I have that too. Even in a roguelike that may happen to some people. The place I live is full of dogs and they all know me and sometimes travel with me if they see me. There isn't anything shamefully stupid about it. While watching a movie, I can't stand to watch a dog getting hurt but I can stand to watch a human getting hurt. It may seem odd to some people but who cares? Sometimes dogs are better than humans anyway. A dog actually guarded me while I was sleeping on the street (another story)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6933 on: October 14, 2011, 07:35:47 pm »

So I guess you guys would be against my dog farming practices in DF? My dwarves love their puppy leather clothes, and dog bone crafts are all the rage with the human caravan.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6934 on: October 14, 2011, 08:06:04 pm »

Hmm, interesting  :o

You can tell where the fianle rooms are by the color of its map tile.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, I too have reached the point when I have to enter Control Characters to use some of my bionics. How? I cant figure out how to enter them.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 08:23:19 pm by S.K. Ren »
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6935 on: October 14, 2011, 10:47:01 pm »

If I may ask: has CBM installation been tweaked so that you have to do it somewhere specific, or learn skills other than first aid?

(If not, may I suggest adding some high level first aid textbook in order to help in these terms, on the lines of "SCIP" for computers and Advanced Economics for economy? (some ideas: Harrison's Internal Medicine, Gray's Anatomy?)

EDIT: we *really* need a better auto-run system. Because with certain monsters (bears, zombie brutes) a couple of turns of going forward is all it takes for insta-gameover

(It'd also be nice if bears and zombie brutes weren't friends)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:10:21 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6936 on: October 14, 2011, 11:41:50 pm »

New update!

Clean build required.  Old saves might be compatible but probably not.

Features:
  • Going down stairs will warn you if there's no way back up.  If you're carrying a rope, you'll be allowed to climb down the rope, creating a path back up.  If going down stairs would entomb you in solid rock (e.g. Hellmouths), the game will report that the stairs are cut off, and won't allow you to go down.
  • Monsters will follow you up/down stairs in an intelligent manner; rather than just teleporting down if they're close to you, they'll count how many turns it'd take to reach stairs, and show up that many turns later.

Bug Fixes:
  • Going down stairs is much more accurate.  Going down to a basement and winding up in a subway station should happen much less frequently, if ever.
  • Flash of full daylight right after sundown removed.
  • Bionics Manifest console command works now.
  • Recycler bionic no longer gives you nutrition as you sleep.
  • Webs no longer stack; you can't become webbed for hours by walking through 20 of them.
  • Webs are no longer placed on solid terrain.
  • Toxic gas properly hurts and slows monsters.
  • Geiger counter toggle text fixed.
  • Goo canisters produce goopit traps properly.
  • Zombie Pheromone works now.
  • Wind buffet attacks now work better, with less map alignment error.
  • Terror attacks now take away one turn at most; less instadeaths
  • Flying monsters no longer set off traps.
  • Wielding a tool that's removed after use (e.g. a beartrap) before using it no longer leaves it in your inventory.

Tweaks:
  • Dropping several items of the same type reports "You drop your plastic bottles" instead of "You drop several items."
  • Monsters now start spawning at the very beginning of the game.  Hostile ones--e.g. even basic zombies--still won't spawn for a while.
  • Monster spawning is less permissive about where they may be.
  • Internal Furnace will only burn cotton, wool, paper, and wood.
  • Ethanol Burner nerfed to produce less energy; it still gives you a lot, though.
  • Radios and two-way radios carry 100 charges, not 500.
  • Webs can be burnt with fire.  They're quite flammable.
  • Webs can be 's'mashed to clear them.
  • Craters are radioactive, most of the time.
  • Lab bionics rooms now have a very limited selection of basic bionics.  The real motherlode is in a lab finale.
  • Difficulty rating of wolves increased.
  • Krecks nerfed.
  • Movement penalty for being over your weight limit reduced and capped at 75.
  • Movement penalty for being shot reduced significantly.
  • Acid rain nerfed; you should be able to survive a half-hour in acid rain under most circumstances.
  • Acid rain only appears following acid drizzle; you'll always have that half-hour warning period.

Community Content:
  • Angle's electronics stores added.  They appear as a yellow arrow (^>v<); subway stations are now a yellow S.
  • Cryo's adamantium claws bugfix.  They now cost zero energy to retract.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6937 on: October 15, 2011, 12:24:55 am »

Nice :D

BTW: In case anyone wants to edit out the starting dog: edit game.cpp, and comment the following:

// Testing pet dog!
 monster doggy(mtypes[mon_dog], u.posx - 1, u.posy - 1);
doggy.friendly = -1;
 z.push_back(doggy);
AKA:

// Testing pet dog!
 //monster doggy(mtypes[mon_dog], u.posx - 1, u.posy - 1);
 //doggy.friendly = -1;
 //z.push_back(doggy);
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 12:28:25 am by ChairmanPoo »

Zoodle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6938 on: October 15, 2011, 12:31:21 am »

Does anyone else find it painfully difficult to wait for the Windows version?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6939 on: October 15, 2011, 12:39:40 am »

You could always download one of those unix terminals for windows, and use it to compile.

Edit: or just use the method outlined here
http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=86.0

http://www.codeblocks.org/

L0master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6940 on: October 15, 2011, 12:44:35 am »

You could always download one of those unix terminals for windows, and use it to compile.

Edit: or just use the method outlined here
http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=86.0

http://www.codeblocks.org/
Whales' source has no cataclysm.cbp
Or can we just use aposos' .cbp with Whales' source?
Number of kills: 15
 dog: 1
 your mother: 14

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6941 on: October 15, 2011, 01:29:07 am »

*shrug* dunno... maybe you could look into those unix emulators I mentioned. I recall reading somewhere that games could be compiled in windows with that method.

A quick googling found this concerning such terminals: http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2006/01/uwin-unix-for-windows.html

PD:

I'm getting LOTS of segment violations

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6942 on: October 15, 2011, 03:10:53 am »

Eh, I'll try to make a Windows version. I already managed to update it before.
Of course, aposos' port is still preferred when it comes out.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6943 on: October 15, 2011, 04:03:11 am »

Okay, Windows port made. Everything seems to be in order.

http://www.mediafire.com/?un7asvff49wccr7

L0master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6944 on: October 15, 2011, 05:05:58 am »

Thanks FunctionZero. Appreciate that. It works just fine.

The dog now doesn't disappear after I enter a basement, and now has followed me for an extended time. It's quite helpful since it fights my hallucinations (which, of course, it shouldn't since they're MY hallucinations and I didn't feed the dog that mushroom)
Also checked the new subway symbol and sighed with relief when the clock showed 8:00PM and there was no divine flash in the area.

Also now I hardly ever see my HPs. I only see'em when some digit changes, like when my head was 80 Hp, an ant hit me for 5 HP then I'll see digit 5 for some time before I open an inventory i guess.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 06:47:58 am by L0master »
Number of kills: 15
 dog: 1
 your mother: 14
Pages: 1 ... 461 462 [463] 464 465 ... 777