Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263328 times)

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7455 on: October 29, 2011, 12:11:09 pm »

I've just been exploring mines, fun stuff. However, I got the purple wall ending, killed the monsters and now I can't move away. Anyone have any advice? If I can escape from the mine there's a fusion gun waiting for me.

Hmm, you're supposed to be able to escape after killing the last monster.  I'll investigate!

For now you can use the Z menu to teleport out I guess.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #7456 on: October 29, 2011, 12:35:46 pm »

Thanks Whales! You saved my best character to date! Durr... I would have never have thought of using the wish function, I never touch it normally. I went back after assuring my self that I could tele away, and the "You can't move away" thing is still active. Still, despite minor buginess, this has been my favorite random ending so far (I've still got two left to discover). Great text in the computer.  I'm playing the windows version currently, just so you know for investigative purposes.

Oh, and while I remember, Thankyou thankyou thankyou for creating this great game. Cataclysm is fast becoming the DF of zombie survival roguelikes (this is literately the highest game-related praise I can give, and I'm sure most people on these forums understand what I mean).
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7457 on: October 29, 2011, 02:03:04 pm »

As far as I know the only open ended zombie survival roguelikes are Cataclysm and Rogue Survivor.

In fact, there are not many more open ended  roguelikes (Unreal World and maybe Dwarf Fortress, albeit DF goes beyond conventional roguelikes by a fair bit).  Which is sad, because I love the genre.

But yeah, Cataclysm is definitedly a great game. It's the game I'm playing the most atm.

Haven't tried rogue survivor, but I heard it was somewhat less open ended. And windows only (which is a dealbreaker for me. One of the things I love about Cata is that I can keep doing stuff in linux and alt-tab to it when I'm bored)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7458 on: October 29, 2011, 02:37:55 pm »

BTW: bug report: the basement teleportation thing happens now when there's a bus station next to a basement.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Straven

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7459 on: October 30, 2011, 01:29:46 pm »

Hi there new to the forum and cataclysm. Enjoying the game atm seems great and a lot more in depth than rogue survivor.
One problem ive had however is that on start up i try to put my name in "Steven" and cant put the cap s, think thats alrdy been mentioned.
BUG: also found that when building a construction such as building a wall or boarding up doors and windows will close the whole game down  :(

Gotthard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7460 on: October 30, 2011, 04:36:27 pm »

Bug:

Disarming a blade trap leaves behind 2 machetes instead of one, in addition to the motor.  Shouldn't is take a chain instead of a string?  Seems like a lot of force is applied.  Furthermore, even when the trap is disabled, the 3x3 square still has spinning blades in it.  Finally, I can stand for an hour inside the blades without being hit.  Damage is applied only upon movement.

Bug:

Batteries in objects are lost when using the item for crafting (batteries, flashlights, etc.)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7461 on: October 30, 2011, 06:07:15 pm »

Finally, I can stand for an hour inside the blades without being hit.  Damage is applied only upon movement.
There's actually a kind of sense to that, if you think you're standing not so much in the blades (why would you do that?) as next to them. If you're not in a hurry, finding a place to stand without getting hurt shouldn't be a problem.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7462 on: October 30, 2011, 06:19:08 pm »

Blade traps have always worked like that, it's an issue with the engine. Each square needs to be disarmed and they're supposed to be near impossible to disarm (99 difficulty) anyway. Furthermore, traps only activate when you move onto them, which is another engine limitation.

The second is also an issue with the crafting system, it can't differentiate between loaded/unloaded items. Just "w"ield them and "U"nload the batteries before crafting with them.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7463 on: October 30, 2011, 08:46:55 pm »

I just downloaded the new version and tried cooking with fire for the first time.

It was extremely frustrating!

First off, your character is apparently too dumb to move away from the fire if it spreads, leading to massive smoke inhalation that you can't stop because he's also too dumb to stop crafting. You also need to tend to the food constantly: If cooking your breakfast takes an hour and a zombie interrupts you 45 minutes in, that time is totally wasted. Also, there's really too much smoke to begin with; a campfire shouldn't give off so much smoke that it causes you physical harm (unless you're particularly stupid about how you use it), and it should probably depend on the material being burned as well. Basically, it's just a pain in the ass to cook using a fire unless you have a lot of time to waste.

EDIT: I'm not in a good position to try to solve this, not being the developer (or even a developer), but I was thinking... maybe allow for resuming crafting recipes? That way, if interrupted in the middle of crafting an item, you end up with an "unfinished <product>" in your inventory that you can continue work on later. This would allow interruptions to be less disastrous, especially for something like cooking.

Of course, some kinks would need to be worked out. For instance, the game would need to ask you to pick ingredients (and consume those items) when crafting starts, not when it ends, and charges (e.g. for a hotplate or soldering iron) would have to be consumed intelligently enough for it to make sense. Also, for things like cooking, allowing the player to resume a pot of spaghetti a day later would be silly, so some sort of timer would be required.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 09:24:54 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Kaizo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7464 on: October 30, 2011, 09:48:55 pm »

Speaking of fire, is there any way to make a damn molotov? I hate dying of smoke inhalation in a burning gas station surrounded by fire.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7465 on: October 30, 2011, 09:49:49 pm »

Rag + bottle of gasoline/alcohol. Light it and throw.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7466 on: October 30, 2011, 09:50:25 pm »

Yeah, I have no idea why you're setting anything on fire to make a molotov. Just pump some gas into an empty bottle/can, or use a bottle of liquor.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7467 on: October 30, 2011, 10:36:10 pm »

Have you tried setting a small fire in the station first and then throwing the container into it?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7468 on: October 30, 2011, 10:39:26 pm »

Oh, and regarding the new trait selection system: Being a complete asshole and such, I still feel way too encouraged to get the maximum number of disadvantage points by picking ones that aren't likely to have an impact. To me, a good solution would be to lower the maximum good/bad trait points to 9 or 10 instead of 12, and/or instate some kind of diminishing returns over that limit, which I think has been discussed.

Also, new traits would be nice! I feel the current selection is a bit limited, so I've been trying to brainstorm more. Can anyone think of gameplay that could be touched upon by traits but currently isn't?

Kaizo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7469 on: October 30, 2011, 10:54:18 pm »

Rag + bottle of gasoline/alcohol. Light it and throw.

By light, we mean (a)ctivate it first, then throw. Throwing the molly by itself doesn't work so well.

Believe me, I've been there.
I have tried to combine those through * but it didn't work, and (a)pplying the rag or bottle with either one in my inventory doesn't work.

Have you tried setting a small fire in the station first and then throwing the container into it?
That would work, but unfortunately that's not a molotov.
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 777