Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 508 509 [510] 511 512 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263148 times)

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7635 on: November 04, 2011, 07:11:14 pm »

When it all boils down to realism or feasibility, we reach a point where saving shouldn't be possible because it can't be done, crafting should take a fair bit longer for complicated things (grenades, anyone?), you've no real reason to find RAM on dead scientists, why are there underground science labs everywhere anyways, thing's shouldn't be unfinished because reality is pretty much gold master by now, and you know what, a zombie apocalypse is fairly unrealistic, y'know, where people rise up from the dead, or why you don't catch the zombie disease if it is a disease, so let's remove all that zombie nonsense, and quite simply, it's unrealistic to have a game about zombies without zombies, so let's just forgo the whole idea altogether, shall we?

For crying out loud, the entertainment is in the unrealistic or unorthodox- it boils down to escapism, a break from reality. You don't sit at a computer to play Office Peon 2009 or Super Traffic Conductor, do you?

I don't think it comes down to realism or feasibility. Realism and implementation, or how it is implemented aren't necessarily connect. There is a good way to implement facets of realism and bad ways of implementing them, in effect these are two very distinct things. Take the opposite, games wouldn't be playable even if they don't follow a particularly realistic approach if these facets are not well implemented. In short, how playable it is is not the direction of style or adherence to reality, but how the entities and rules in the game relate to each other.

Moreover, we look towards reality to gain an understanding of the world in these games. It wouldn't make much sense if most of the physical laws we take for granted in real life were absent or abandoned in the game. Likewise, we have a framework of understanding that we use from real life for games. We can accept that there are elements in the game that aren't native to this reality, but this doesn't mean that the rest of the game mustn't either. In fact, going down the route of going against all understanding of real life, however good it might be implemented, it will be very hard to make sense or and to actually have fun if it were the case.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 07:13:19 pm by Flare »

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7636 on: November 04, 2011, 08:13:01 pm »

My case was for ending pointless arguments over the realism of a flawed, unfinished, relatively unrealistic product. I've said my fill on the matter already so don't expect me to defend your overexaggeration and extrapolation of my post.

I'm not expecting you to defend my post, but to do yours :P.

It's not pointless to argue about realism here. Realism is only unfeasible if you assume that it is done poorly, which there isn't a reason to assume. You are right that there are factors in the game that don't seem very realistic, but it's neutral to whether this means that the game should continue down this road or not.

Bobv2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7637 on: November 04, 2011, 08:19:02 pm »

It seems to me that bashing weapons can be a bit overpowered.

I have level 8 bashing and melee and it seems no single enemy stands a chance against me.
I can stun lock Zombie Hulks and kill them without getting scratched. Is this supposed to happen?

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7638 on: November 04, 2011, 08:31:11 pm »

Bashing weapons are overpowered as a whole. I often one shot zombies by crushing their skull when I only have 2 melee and 2 blunt skill.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7639 on: November 04, 2011, 09:11:19 pm »

You're supposed to be able to one-shot zombies pretty easily, depending on your weapon.  A baseball bat to the head will take out a zombie pretty easily.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Bobv2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7640 on: November 04, 2011, 09:22:57 pm »

I don't know. It just feels off killing a zombie hulk by stunlocking it.

Maybe my judgement is off. Are zombie hulks not among the most powerful NPC's in the game?

Actually, the lost powerful thing I've found so far are the turrets in the labs. They destroy me as soon as I open the door. How are you supposed to kill those things?

EDIT: Also, are skills supposed to reach an equilibrium of sorts, where the decay rate makes it impossible to level up any higher? I can seem to get any higher than level 8 bashing weapons because any XP I put into decays away almost immediately.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 09:27:59 pm by Bobv2 »

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7641 on: November 04, 2011, 09:28:32 pm »

I don't know. It just feels off killing a zombie hulk by stunlocking it.

Maybe my judgement is off. Are zombie hulks not among the most powerful NPC's in the game?

Actually, the lost powerful thing I've found so far are the turrets in the labs. They destroy me as soon as I open the door. How are you supposed to kill those things?

turrets:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for hulks, well, with 8 weapon skill and 8 melee pretty much any weapon will kill them pretty easy. It might seem unbalanced but remember a gun will kill them in 2 - 3 hits before they even get to you with 0 skill required so meh.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #7642 on: November 04, 2011, 09:54:42 pm »

2-3 shots? what kind of gun are you using? I use high accuracy, high damage .223 rifles and it still takes like 5-6 shots.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7643 on: November 04, 2011, 09:59:00 pm »

2-3 shots? what kind of gun are you using? I use high accuracy, high damage .223 rifles and it still takes like 5-6 shots.

Get close, headshot. With .223 Remington, it should take like, 1 shot in close-quarters. Good DEX recommended though.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 11:46:32 pm by FunctionZero »

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7644 on: November 04, 2011, 09:59:30 pm »

I use a .45 or a .44 at point blank range. The critical multiplier works wonders.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7645 on: November 04, 2011, 11:40:26 pm »

111F Savage with silencer and sniper mod = 1HKO on anything at beyond the bounds of the screen, assuming decent PER. The downside is that you can't really practice butchering much, as most enemies end up in the 'pink mist' + red spot on ground form of post-post-death.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7646 on: November 05, 2011, 03:25:29 am »

Yeah, melee combat is overpowered as it is.

I think we need a nerf that makes it less effective against things which you shouldn't be able to whack to death (hulks, bears. Fungal spires, I guess. Ugly large things in general) but still lets you kill fast things that should be killable by it (regular zombies, etc...)

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7647 on: November 05, 2011, 03:31:32 am »

Yeah, melee combat is overpowered as it is.

I think we need a nerf that makes it less effective against things which you shouldn't be able to whack to death (hulks, bears. Fungal spires, I guess. Ugly large things in general) but still lets you kill fast things that should be killable by it (regular zombies, etc...)

Not another melee nerf.  ::) Its been a while since i had high level in it thoug.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7648 on: November 05, 2011, 05:02:27 am »

*shrug* at the very least, some monsters need to be toughened up.

BTW: I've been having for a while a problem with hordes spawning almost at the beggining of the game, which I did not pay much attention to, because with a melee weapon and a chokepoint it was addressable, if prone to cause pain. I don't know if it was a design feature or not (AKA: to provide the first scare into the game. You're travelling around not seeing anything dangerous, and suddenly a gazillion zombies start to come out of alleys and (in this case) a bar).

But now, I had two mi-gos spawn on me right at the game start, inside the house. I'm assuming that was a bug?

Fake-edit: might it be related to the marloss bush growing in an intersection nearby?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 09:32:13 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7649 on: November 05, 2011, 09:35:05 am »

how i can find a guide for the new feature ( spider, new items, construction) or a faq... ?
Pages: 1 ... 508 509 [510] 511 512 ... 777